PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

joeahearn

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 30, 2012
Hi,
Has anyone smoked the "new" London Mixture? If so, how is it, and how does it compare to any of the older versions?
Also: I greatly miss Dunhill's Durbar. Does anyone know of any blends that replicate or approximate it?
Many thanks,

Joe Ahearn

Austin TX

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
I'm smoking the latest version of London Mixture as I write this, it seems to be just as good a smoke as the older version. I always keep London Mixture in my rotation, as it is my favorite mid-strength English blend. As far as the Orlik vs. Murray's debate, only 965 seems different to me, I find it a bit less spicy now than before. Nightcap and London Mixture seem pretty much the same to me. I don't care for Early Morning Pipe, so I am not qualified to judge that blend.

hfearly

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 11, 2012
Canada
Has anyone smoked the "new" London Mixture? If so, how is it, and how does it compare to any of the older versions?
Yes, I have and I liked the old one MUCH better. Same goes for Nightcap. However, I have to say that I like the newer MM965 better - it's less ... 'intense' ;-)
As for Durbar, some say decent matches include McClelland's Oriental Mixture #14, Pipeworks & Wilke #10, and Dan Tobacco's Bill Bailey's Balkan Blend.
+1 for the Pipeworks and Wilke #10 mixture! Great light and smooth English! Truely an all-day English!

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I like the new Dunhill flake just as much as the old Dunhill Light Flake, I no longer smoke English blends so I cannot comment. I would be interested to hear old cajuns thoughts on the new Nitecap, he smokes that stuff all the time and he could probably give a good assessment of the differences.

lincolnsbark

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 11, 2013
I just popped a tin of London mixture and cannot get over how similar the smell is to a bag of hickory beef jerky. Luckily for me that is one of my favorite smells.

Status
Not open for further replies.