PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cygnusx1

Lurker
Aug 31, 2009
SO, I was thinking today as I was smoking a bowl of Mac barrens 7 seas royal blend, shouldn't there be more flavor? I mean it smells wonderful. So here's the question. Does the pipe have anything to do with it? I have a cheap otc medico that works, but maybe there is something to my maddness. Thanks ahead of time.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Good question. I have found that many aros don't necessarily taste like what they smell like. Of course, they are tobacco and not candy.
Often times the flavor is subtle and a well-made pipe won't change that IMHO. But I can say that a well made, quality pipe, that's well rested, performs much better and the tobacco does taste better; but I cannot say that the flavor is any stronger.

lazybugger

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 9, 2012
sofar in my experiance not many taste even close to what they smell like. I have tried a couple thst smell amazing even when smoked and the roomnote is amazing but taste wise I got not much of anything ... I really enjoy tobaccos that once the casing has burnt off u can taste good tobacco and those blends I try order lots of ... nice aromatic plus good tobacco = good smoke in my books ... my advice is try lots of different blends ... Maybe samplers ... and I think h will soon see what I am getting at

madmurdoc

Can't Leave
Dec 8, 2012
North Idaho
Hey! Welcome to PM! If you're looking for an aromatic with flavor, many people here have recommended Lane 1Q, I myself haven't had any yet. My experience with aros is that it usually doesn't taste the way it smells. There are some out there that do, but you'll have to ask around.
Edit: Also, retrohaling may help you get some flavor out of aros, since taste is closely connected with smell.

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
Try and keep a nice slow pace with your smoking. More smoke does not equal more flavor. Sometimes when you push it you end up just getting hot smoke and none of the flavors.
I like to have a cup of coffee with sweeter tobaccos. It really helps me pick out the flavors better due to the contrast.
In addition to all of the above try snorking a bit out of your nose. You pick up a lot of details and get an experience that is a bit more well rounded.
There we're a lot of Aro blends that I just simply didn't care for. (and that's not a dis against Aros)

cygnusx1

Lurker
Aug 31, 2009
Thanks Guys. I agree. Most aro's smell fantastic. Stanwell's Vanilla is the only one I have found that really tastes great. Fruity in one aspect and vanilla in the other. I know most guys are looking for pure tobacco without casings, but I guess flavor is just ones opinion. If we all liked vanilla, it would be a boring world, but man it would smell good.

Status
Not open for further replies.