Not open for further replies.

misterbrown01

Lurker
Apr 8, 2014
9DCA9961-9A9E-4569-A58D-56052D50CF8F_zpsd7p136dw.jpg

077E42C2-F633-4263-96D2-C0A2DED71B0D_zpsdk1wpqzp.jpg

76C09F69-3597-4753-AE81-4484A35C3849_zpsv1j1jlzc.jpg

9ECC8D71-18DA-456D-BC2F-98821EC47D45_zpsu4lwdshg.jpg

First off, i really hope that i linked the pics properly, but i was just given these a few days ago, and have been trying to

ID these pipes, it hasn't gone well on my end, any information anyone can give, would be appreciated, i tried looking up the one that is "imperial deluxe" but still no hits on the internet

Pretty sure its a beautiful mixture of incompetence and the fact that i have only been into pipes for a few month
*quick edit, the stamping on the "imperial" is blurry in the pic, but it says FGDA, and on the "s" pipe under the G.S.V, the marking is SDM

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
A good place to start is here . http://www.pipephil.eu/logos/en/lettres/le-encercle-lettre.html and http://www.925-1000.com/index.html

misterbrown01

Lurker
Apr 8, 2014
Thanks alot you two, but after checking both sites out, im still at a loss, its 1:30am, and ive been searching for most of the night.

Im hoping its because im tired and worn out, and not just a dumbass lol, i really want to figure out if

The "s" pipe is worth me making a stem out of a piece of ivory i own, as the amber one has been badly damaged and is useless

anglesey

Can't Leave
Jan 15, 2014
I can't be any help regarding hallmarks (bloody tobacconists not using standard silver marks, gets my goat). Other than that, they're lovely pipes, such a shame about the cracked stem. With a polish and a clean they'd be beautiful smokes.

misterbrown01

Lurker
Apr 8, 2014
Sadly, i took them into a local pipe store, and all they could say is they are old, and custom, sent the amber one out for a restemming

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
This the problem with amber stems. If the stem had not been snapped in the middle they can be repaired. Usually I carefully removed the screwed in end and remove the threaded end. Carefully file down the stem end and drill out the stem to accept the treaded end and then cement the new thread into the end thus resulting in a shorter stem. That option does not exist here as the stem has broken in the middle. You will more likely get a plastic faux amber stem back. As to the pipe itself I cannot quite make out the Hall Marks but that will give you the approximate age of the pipe. I would say it would be mid 1930 to mid 1950s. Amber itself makes an excellent pipe stem and 90% of the meerschaums I own have amber stems and they are easier on the lips and teaches you not to bite down on your stem. Getting new amber stems is an absolute headache these days although I am informed that someone in Chicago will make them for a price. During the 1930s a lot of these type of briar pipes were sold by regional tobacconists in the UK and would have been priced at slightly under Five Pounds. You are lucky that the case has not taken too much of a beating as they are normally the first thing to go. Where did you find it as these do show up on Ebay every so often.

Status
Not open for further replies.