PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

swilly

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 19, 2011
Hello all,
I present yet another Meerschaum coloring thread. I recently received an SG109 bent billiard from Altinok. I cracked the box and case open to discover an absolutely huge meerschaum, much larger than I expected. It must have at least 0.80inch I.B diameter and 1.80 inch depth. With these stack-like dimensions, I fear that this pipe will be relegated to my lower-nicotine blends, such as aromatics and oriental/balkan blends. Whoever says that meerschaums do not need any break-in period is wrong. There is definitely a "meerschaumy" taste and smell (the pipe itself gives off an earthy and soapy odour), with the first couple of smokes. I've chosen to smoke McClelland's Arcadia in this pipe, and it's already starting to take some color. I will try to take more coloring photos when the changes are a bit more pronounced.
Some notes on the meerschaum:

1) It has fairly good balance sufficient bend to make it good for clenching, especially when looking forward at a 45 degree angle or more, such a when reading a book.

2) It's friggin deep. Arcadia is disappearing because of this.

3) It smokes very coolly, but for some odd reason, I always get gurgle about 1/3-1/2 and 2/3-3/4 of the way down. I need a pipe cleaner to clear it out.

4) I noticed that the mouthpiece is a bit wonky. The lip is not symmetrical and even, and the bit is a tad thick. I used to think my Castello had a thick bit, but this takes the cake. Still, I can clench it.

5) The delrin mortise is not smooth inside. There's a tiny flap that wasn't cleanly cut off or something. It's reminiscent of the tiny flap that you get on one half when you rip apart an easter eggs. Does this make sense?

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_H2PBWMGhjBc/S8usogU2ItI/AAAAAAAAHjQ/rehj7uuT0B4/s1600/plastic+eggs1.jpg
Unfortunately, I cannot say that I am /super/ satisfied with this pipe purchase. Sure, it's a great pipe and I'm enjoying it (maybe paying too much attention to the coloring instead of the smoke? oops), but I think that for the price I paid, I expected better workmanship. I do not doubt the quality of the meerschaum block, but the bit and mortise issue, which I think is cause for extra turbulence and moisture, could have been easily fixed. I believe the best course of action would be going to a pipe show/shop and physically handling the meerschaum pipe. There are more variables in a meerschaum pipe than in a briar (you don't need a delrin insert in a briar) and since it is a softer, brittler material, it's easier to mess up the airway. In any case, enjoy the photos. I plan on throwing more on soon.
P3104103.jpg
[/url][/img]

P3104104.jpg
[/url][/img]

Best,

Swilly

swilly

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 19, 2011
Actually, you can see the uneven lip in the second photo. Notice that it's lopsided.

gwtwdbss

Lifer
Jun 13, 2012
Nice! That is a shame about the lip. Have you tried to contact them and see of they could offer to make you a new stem for it?

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
That is a very nice pipe and I totally see Swilly's point of view. This is one of the reasons why I don't buy meerschaum pipes made after 1910 as they all seem to suffer these type of problems. Either the bits have been replaced with amber composite or the airways seem to be wrong or they have generally been bashed about by previous owners. How big is the pipe and how does it feel in the mouth when smoking it?

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Great looking meer. Engineering issues are one of the reasons why Bakis are worth their slightly higher price, imo.
If ordered on line, the only suggestion I would give is inspect it carefully and return it unsmoked if there are any issues that are immediately detectable.

swilly

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 19, 2011
Here are some recent photos of how my meerschaum has been coloring. There's a very distinct area on the upper side of the bowl facing me. I wonder if that has anything to do with the way I'm smoking it as a jaw-hanger. I smoked through a tin of McClelland Arcadia in this pipe, as well as the occasional Two Friends English Chocolate and SG 2013 Limited Edition blend. It's such a huge pipe that I don't think I could do anything with higher nicotine content. I warming up to this pipe. It has its quirks, but I can deal with them. I hold the pipe by the stem while I smoke it.

kanaka95

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 2, 2014
Its a really nice pipe all in all.Hope you can resolve the stem issue.keep us posted on the results.

zenforest

Lurker
Jan 4, 2013
Did you do anything special before you started smoking it, like apply bees wax, or some other coloring technique.....or did you just start smoking it ?

swilly

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 19, 2011
Thanks for the compliments fellas! Since I clench the pipe the majority of the time, I just view the thicker bit as a tank that will withstand years of my teeth. My molars will probably be first to go, actually.
Zenforest: Yep, I just loaded her up and started smoking it. The only extra care I take with a meerschaum is that I try even harder not to scorch the rim when I'm lighting the tobacco. Post-smoke cleaning is also a little more involved. I usually take a fluffy pipe-cleaner, bend it in half and wipe the inside of the bowl. I also run a fluffy through the pipe. I run my finger around the inside of the chamber to feel for any lumps of tarry residue that I did not remove with the pipe cleaner and gently scrape at it with the blade-like part on my pipe tool (like in this image http://www.milantobacco.com/MilanGraphics/PipeAccessories/PipeTool3-1BrushedChromeM.jpg)
Finally, I take a damp paper towel/piece of toilet paper and run it around the inside of the bowl. It usually comes out black and I know that I'm removing any tar or potential cake-building residue. My cleaning regimen might sound scary, but it's really not that bad, especially since I've built it into a routine.
Best,

Swilly

masspiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 14, 2014
Nice pipe I like it. It is also coloring the exact same way my Tekin MeerQueen is coloring.

saint007

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 22, 2013
This is one of my meers from meerschaum store (Meer Queen) that I started smoking on April 1st.

Same pipe 35 days later. I'm really happy with the rich brown coming in.

zenforest

Lurker
Jan 4, 2013
Does what you smoke effect the color ? Do Aromatics vs. English blends cause different colors to appear ?

saint007

Dec 22, 2013
@zen, IMHO I think aros hasten the coloring. I use my meers for aros and my briars for non-aros.
Nice trout!

masspiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 14, 2014
Nice color saint007. My Emin MeerQueen is also coloring and has been smoked about the same amount of time as yours. I have also heard that aeros and Cavendish color more quickly. I smoke VA, VA/PER and VA/PER/LAT blends in this.

zenforest

Lurker
Jan 4, 2013
thanks Saint - caught & released on The Goodnews River in Alaska !!

smoked a lot of Black Raspberry tobacco on the side of that river !!

saint007

Dec 22, 2013
Nice Piper.
I have one on the way now from Meer Queen, a smooth Calabash. I'll experiment with it and just smoke mainly Virginias and see how the coloring progresses.

swilly

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 19, 2011
Whoa, Saint007, that's some gorgeous coloring right there. I'm actually a bit surprised, I would have thought the oilier and darker tobaccos, like orientals and latakia would color the pipe more. I'll give aromatics more of a run to see if the coloring becomes more dramatic.
Also, how do you manage to smoke the pipe with a softie? I've heard that most meerschaums have fairly thick buttons. I tried putting one on mine but it was almost like I had a cigar in my mouth...
@Zen: Yes, the type of tobacco you smoke in it should affect the coloring process.
-Swilly

Status
Not open for further replies.