PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Check out this pipe and read the description of what Tsuishu is. It is fascinating to me as I have never heard of it before or seen it on a pipe. This pipe is totally cool looking and I want one. Now I think I have a new carver to dream about owning one day. His prices are high so it won't be anything I will be buying anytime soon, but one can dream.

http://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/satou/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=101991

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
That is a striking pipe. The unique almost Japanese shape, the blast, and the thick walls set it off. The multicolored band, so time consuming to create, is the icing on the cake. It's marked as sold - for good reason I suspect.

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
Very cool...the material is actually just the accent ring on the stem...which I have no idea of how he accomplished that..what's exciting for me, is that it gives me an idea for doing the same thing with alternating ebony and ivory strips leading into an ebonite bit...Hmmmm....

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
rick, I know, but I have never seen that Tsuishu application before and thought it was cool. His blast work is pretty incredible as well.
As in, "I know it's sold" or "I know, I couldn't help myself and bought it"?
I'm partial to these ones, myself:

002-142-0309.jpg

002-142-0306.jpg

Very Danish looking, a la Gert Holbek or Jorn Micke.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
roth, thanks for posting that, it is very interesting. I had never heard of him before but it is clear to me this guy is a master.
Guys, I am sure that sold pipe was at least 1200.00 which is way out of my league. I just hope he is still carving when the last of my 4 kids are out of college because I would definitely drop that kind of coin for one of his pipes that has the Tsuishu application on it. This is now my dream carver.
pitchfork, those are beautiful for sure but this one I like even better.

http://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/satou/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=115625
This guy makes some incredible looking pipes and I really like how he seems to have a love for making Dublins.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
roth, I have noticed that most pipes with bamboo shanks weigh very little even though the bowl may be large. My one bamboo shanked pipe weighs about 33 grams and it is a large group 4. You are so right about Ardor, they make some seriously heavy pipes. Bamboo takes a ton of weight off of a pipe.
chris, I have no idea what that pipe went for but am dying to find out. Judging by his smooths at around 1200.00, my guess would be at least that if not more considering the amount of labor involved.

moses

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 12, 2013
Biddeford
That is gorgeous! Maybe whomever bought it would trade for a lot of well loved cobs.... :rofl:

john218

Part of the Furniture Now
May 5, 2012
Connecticut
The pipe is an outstanding example of craftsmanship.
I imagine it took a great amount of time to build up those layers of lacquer.

Status
Not open for further replies.