PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pufferfish

Might Stick Around
Apr 21, 2019
So amongst my collection of old pipes that I was hoping to clean I was about to throw a small bulldog out. It did look sad, apart from the silver band and (after cleaning) the nice briar. After a further squint, I was pleased to see the hallmarks for 1929, Birmingham Louis Orlik. The pipe also has the name Ancos which I assume was the company he made the pipe for? It smokes very well indeed. Any else enjoy these pipes?

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Be careful with it. I smoked a pre 1920 KB&B with an orific amber stem and the shank cracked.

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
Ancos was an abbreviation for the Army & Navy Cooperative Society Ltd (see: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Army_%26_Navy_Stores_(United_Kingdom)). Pipes were sold for generations under the Ancos brand, from the days of bakelite stems through at least the 1960s. Obviously Orlik made pipes for their stores; not sure offhand who else did.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Before and after photos on Forums have show dramatic transformations of what look like junkers into real showpieces.

pufferfish

Might Stick Around
Apr 21, 2019
Ok guys and thanks for your replies. I am working on a couple of pics and will upload very soon. Just recovering from the wind storm we have here, the tomato plant I was potting blew away... Wheres that pipe!

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI

pufferfish

Might Stick Around
Apr 21, 2019
So here we are, folks, at last! Just discovered how to send a pic. This is the above mentioned 1929 Ancos :)
J5I8IIW.jpg

pufferfish

Might Stick Around
Apr 21, 2019
Thanks all. Yeah, took me ages to work out how to send the pics but at last, its happened. Yeah, it's a nice pipe and I think the condition is good considering the age. Happy smoking to you all. Off to bed now as I have a 6.30 start tomorrow. Long days.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Yes, a wonderful OLD classic! If that is the sad one of your clean ups, please share pics of the happy ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.