Pipes Magazine » General Discussion

Tags:  No tags yet. 

Netflix Viewers

(14 posts)
  1. fnord

fnord

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

In between the bowl blowouts today I tried on a new series.

Son Sam's girlfriend was over last night and she was talking about finishing Season One of "Peaky Blinders." Now, she's a doll, pre-med, smart as a whip but a real girly-girl. (No disrespect meant. Susie and I raised rough and tumble boys - now young men.)

I looked up "PB" on IMDB and decided to pounce.

Here's a BBC period drama, with superb production values, set in 1919 England.

The opening episode dealt with:

1. A family run criminal enterprise.
    2. The accidental theft of 20 Lewis machine guns earmarked for Libya.
    3. Bookmaking and fixing horse races.
    4. WWI vets suffering horribly from PTSD.
    5. Drinking heavily and smoking opium to quiet the demons.
    6. Sam Neill as a rogue Irish cop sent over from Belfast to clean house.

Sign me up, guys. I'm all in.

Please excuse my enthusiasm as I'm pretty new to Netflix. I only joined to keep watching "Longmire" because I love the novels and the series. But "PB" diffused the vomit of watching Oklahoma State, Iowa and Notre Dame auger in at mach speeds today.

Fnord

It ain't the way I wanted it! I can handle things! I'm smart! Not like everybody says - like dumb - I'm smart and I want respect!
    Fredo Corleone
    Posted 3 years ago #
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

sw0snuff3r

Login to Send PM

This is one of my all-time favourite series. I read that they recently began filming the third season so there will be new episodes soon.

Posted 3 years ago #
  3. sjfine

sjfine

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I agree. One of the greats. And I am really happy to read that there is a third season coming.

Posted 3 years ago #
  4. tbradsim1

tbradsim1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Loved it so much I bought a new Blue Ray player with close caption so I could understand the Limeys. Series ending was a pisser, Great Stuff.

The Old Cajun
    Posted 3 years ago #
  5. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

It's a great series, you are going to enjoy it! Inspector Campbell has his own thread:
    http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/inspector-chester-campbellpeaky-blinders

The excellent music choices also make the show enjoyable on all accounts. I'm anxiously waiting for the 3rd season.
    http://www.entertainmentoutlook.com/2013/10/06/peaky-blinders-soundtrack-series-1/

Al

Posted 3 years ago #
  6. carbonmated

carbonmated

Login to Send PM

Thanks, I will check this one out. You may like Ripper Street on Netflix, wife has me hooked on it now. Semi Sherlock like in respect that it's a detective with his counterpart, with a few American's tossed in for good measure. Stories are well written, action, mystery and semi violent. It's a good watch.

Posted 3 years ago #
  7. kanaia

kanaia

Login to Send PM

If you have Amazon Prime I highly recommend "The Man In The High Castle." The story is about life in North America after the Axis powers won WWII. First three episodes are a little slow but hang in there you will not be disappointed.

Posted 3 years ago #
  8. lordofthepiperings

lordofthepiperings

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

A third season has been commissioned, but no date has been set yet as to when it will air.

I liked the first two seasons a lot. Sam Neil does quite a bit of pipe smoking in it. Great writing and great cast.

"The thinking man always smokes a Peterson." -Peterson of Dublin
    Posted 3 years ago #
  9. fnord

fnord

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I started watching S1Ep3 at halftime tonight of the Oregon-TCU blowout. Forty five minutes later my phone begin lighting up with multiple text messages from friends I'd been bitching with concerning the lackluster bowl season. TCU was clawing their way back into the game and I flipped over to ESPN in time to watch them tie it up and then win in Triple OT!

Back to PB. Bradley, I get where you coming from. I finally activated the CC feature on our TV tonight because I was missing too much of the dialogue due to the accents and brogues. And, thank you, Al, for the music link. The modern music is such a weird juxtaposition with a series set almost a century ago - yet it fits.

Cillian Murphy's Thomas Shelby is one of the most compelling characters I've seen in years and the writers in this first season are to be commended. Shelby is tortured by what he witnessed in France, yet the compassion he shows for that beautiful white horse he won from the Lee family of gypsies sucks the viewers in. Yet, a few scenes later he's holding a Webley revolver on his childhood friend who saved his life during the war, became a Communist agitator and impregnated his sister. I'll be go to hell. It's going to be a treat watching this onion get peeled.

I don't want to binge-watch this show. Each episode is so well done that I want a few days to think over the dialogue and the acting. There's some craftsmanship here that's as good as it gets.

Fnord

Posted 3 years ago #
  10. anthonyrosenthal74

anthonyrosenthal74

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I love the show and I'm anxiously awaiting another season. I'm glad you're enjoying it, fnord.

Arrrrr, shiver me timbers! International Talk Like a Pirate Day is September the 19th!!!
    Brothers Of The Black Frigate
    Posted 3 years ago #
  11. texmexpipe

texmexpipe

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Great series, and I too hope to have another season come out soon!

Procrastinate Later. - I'll say this one day!
    Posted 3 years ago #
  12. geirove

geirove

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the heads up!
    Could not stop watching this, love it!

Posted 3 years ago #
  13. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Many thanks. I was recently turned on to "Luther" on 'Flix. Stars Idris Elba and that naughty Wilson woman. (Ruth). Great series.

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Posted 3 years ago #
  14. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

I really like this show and I like that's it not as trendy as those garbage shows like walking dead and lame of throwns. It's really good and gritty. It makes boardwalk empire look like a soap opera. Sam Neil is a little over the top, but I love his pipe and I love that he smokes the same pot for years. HAs anyone figured out what kind of pipe it is? In the second season there is a scene where he is talking to the cop at his desk and you see the pipe has some oxidation on the mouth piece which i thought was funny

Posted 3 years ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   glassjapan, tbradsim1, spartacus, madox07, greeneyes, mrenglish, cigrmaster, danimalia, alaskanpiper, condorlover1, tkcolo, jpmcwjr, canadianpuffer