Neil Armstrong just passed away.
Just after Curiosity landed.
I feel like an era just ended.
One small step for man...

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
Well, now it's up to Buzz to tell us whether it was all true or just a hoax :rofl:
All kidding aside, RIP Mr. Armstrong... that whole great generation is slowly passing away. I had a bowl of Scottish Flake earlier when I read the news.

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
God rest his soul.He was from Wapakoneta,Ohio,little town about 15min from where I live.Right on I75 they have a museum named after him with a piece of moon rock in it.Will have to tour it again in his memory....

acme

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 4, 2011
July between 7th and 8th grade.

Sitting on the floor in the basement watching the new color television. I know no more sustained excitement occurred in my life before the landings, and perhaps not much more since.

I cut out every article that even hinted at the landings out of the Denver Post - Man! I wonder where all those clippings are now.

anthony

beewrangler2

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 29, 2012
As me and my fiance sat here on the beach of Lake Michigan, we watched the International Space Station cross the evening sky and we both started talking at the same time, about how far we have come in space exploration, since Mr Armstrongs time. ( we learned of his passing via the radio on the trip up here). Cape Canaveral, Johnson Space Center, Lunar Landers, Parachuting capsules into the sea, Walter Cronkite, Our flag on the surface of the moon, bulky ass tv sets in the classroom so we could all watch, and let's not forget Tang. RIP Mr Armstrong.

hobie1dog

Lifer
Jun 5, 2010
Cornelius, NC
What a guy. I always remember his quote about realizing that the human heart has a finite number of beats, so he wasn't going to waste any of his exercising anymore.

pipesicle

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 31, 2012
S.E.Iowa
I was 10, i stayed up to watch the moon landing until about 0300 cst. It really moved me in a way I can't explain.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I remember that day like it was yesterday. I was 11.5 years old and at Camp Mendota in Maine when we got the word. We got to watch it on the TV in the dinning hall. It is still in my opinion man's greatest feat.
RIP to a great American hero.

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
Oh and btw... if you ever wonder what Mr. Aldrins opinion is of those that think we never landed... watch this ;-)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wcrkxOgzhU

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
RIP Neil...journey well.
I'd have to say my favorite quote of Mr. Armstrong's is not the famous "One small step...", but the following statement he made at the White House during a ceremony commemorating the Apollo 11, 25th anniversary:
"There are great ideas undiscovered, breakthroughs available to those who can remove one of truth's protective layers. There are many places to go beyond belief."

seakayak

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 21, 2010
I can remember where I was when he stepped onto the moon's surface. I was in the basement with my future wife. We're now about to celebrate our 42nd wedding anniversary and still speak of that evening. Rest in peace, Sir.

Status
Not open for further replies.