PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

stearmandriver

Might Stick Around
Mar 13, 2018
Hello,
Title says it all, I think. "Retrohaling" is something I've just kind of done instinctively for quite a while, though I never would have guessed it actually had a name. I just learned that recently. I've also, in a few posts discussing it, read cautions not to do it too frequently, or even at all. I was just wondering why not?
I don't mean this to turn into one of those touchy discussions on health issues. We're all big boys and girls and we can all make our own decisions. I just like to make *informed* decisions, so I'm wondering if there's something I don't know about retrohaling that makes it different?
Realistically, I personally probably smoke infrequently enough for it not to matter (few bowls a week) but I'm curious.
Thanks!
Edited by jvnshr: Title capitalization (please check Rule #9)

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I just know its about exposing more smoke to mucous membranes in your nose. Some swear they get more flavour that way. I've tried it a few times and it didn't do anything for me, so I just roll the smoke around in my mouth and exhale.
To each their own.

I agree with Mike. And, sometimes I will start sneezing like crazy, and other times it just makes my sinuses feel like I was snorting sand. I guess some sinuses are tougher than others, but I get enough nicotine from wallowing the smoke around in my mouth that I probably just don't need this technique.
As for warning by others, maybe they just experience something negative, and threw that in from personal experience. We all tend to post from personal experiences, and not everyone is the same. Just a guess.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
It's pretty much how I smoke all the time. I detect more flavours with my nose than with my mouth. It is important to have a clean and dry nose to get the most out of retrohaling in my view.
Regards,
Jay.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
There won't ever be medical/scientific studies on this; the cohort's too small. But the caution would be not to expose additional mucosal tissue to tobacco smoke and all its various constituent chemicals. I'd say, if you don't retro-hale, don't start. Once you start, you probably won't stop.

midwestpipesmoker70

Can't Leave
Nov 28, 2011
IL
I feel that I do taste the tobacco better by retro haling. I retro hale constantly with my favorite tobaccos as it makes a world of difference for me. One thing I found out and it is kind of subconscious, but when I am trying a blend out that I am not really loving, I notice I don't retro hale much or at all. I am not a big aro fan and I am finding that I have to make myself retro hale to try to get all of the flavors. In many aro blends there is something added (topping) that doesn't agree with me. So I guess, for me, retro haling is the true test whether I like a tobacco or not.

Reactions: TimeKiller

derekflint

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 23, 2017
In many aro blends there is something added (topping) that doesn't agree with me.
Whatever that is..it really doesn't agree with me either!! It's horrible !!

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Takes years to appreciate aros. Definitely not the first group for anyone to try. After 27 years, I now regularly smoke them, and enjoy them quite a bit.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I constantly retrohale as well, guess it’s an ex cigarette smoker thing? I don’t know how else you would taste the tobacco. I am always amazed to hear that some pipe smokers don’t do it. I’m not saying I’m right and they’re wrong or anything but just do whatever you enjoy, really. I do a sinus rinse every night to really keep them clean and I’ve never had a problem.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Here's an old test to try. Hold your nose while eating, and see how much you can taste. Smell and taste are closely bound to each other.

oldtoby

Dec 7, 2011
Agreed, Hawky.
Retro-hale, French inhale, side stream inhale, it's all good. :wink:
Edit: You're right Chasingembers, at least in my humble opinion. I "taste" much more with my nose.

derekflint

Nov 23, 2017
Ever see Matches 860 smoke ? He never retrohales. Blows it out fast. Doesn't look enjoyable in the least..to me anyway.

luigi

Can't Leave
May 16, 2017
Europe
I think there are more taste receptors in the nose than in the mouth so it sounds logical retrohaling makes you feel more flavours from a smoke.

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
Our forum member hawke had the below gif as his avatar:
hawke.gif

I'm pretty sure I still smell and experience the smoke through my nose without forcing smoke through my sinuses. And, I am not knocking those that do this. It's actually very cool looking, and if it didn't tear my sinuses up, I would be doing it also. But, I still get the effect of aroma, just not an overload.

Basically, there aren't any rules to all of this, and no one is going to revoke your pipesmoker's card. Just enjoy it however you want, and it's always good to suggest new things to folks just starting out, and even good to suggest that said things might be dangerous. We all decide for ourselves what is going to work and what isn't. Take the whole forum with a grain of salt, IMO.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
In theory, those that don’t retrohale may be experiencing the flavors more and for a longer period of time than those who retrohale. Just thinking about what Cosmic said, any time you overload the olfactory receptors you get olfactory fatigue. Interesting. I’m afraid once you go retrohale (assuming it doesn’t mess up your sinuses) you never go back. I couldn’t not retrohale even if I tried, it’s just become an involuntary reaction.

Status
Not open for further replies.