Pipes Magazine » General Discussion

Tags:   

Negative Customer Psychology

(26 posts)
  1. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Have you ever cued up your cart online with items and the just zeroed it out and bought nothing? I have a seemingly unlimited ability to torture a purchase, even as a kid roaming the dime store deciding how to spend my 89 cents, such that the manager was highly suspicious of me as a shoplifter. I wasn't. That was the problem, I wanted to be sure about how I spent my 89 cents, not steal the stuff I might have wanted. It's rare for me to get as far as filling the cart and then aborting the mission. Has it ever happened to you? I think I just decided I was buying the pipe for its discount, and the blend wasn't my thing. Unusual, but it has happened to me.

Posted 1 week ago #
  2. mikethompson

mikethompson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Oh I do that all the time, its much cheaper than actually buying the pipes. Sometimes I will find a pipe I like, cart it up and wait a little while. More often than not when I look at it again, I am not drawn to it.

Posted 1 week ago #
  3. alaskanpiper

alaskanpiper

Login to Send PM

I have done this several times. Load up with what I want, then look it over and decide if the total package is worth the price tag. Sometimes I buy it all. Sometimes I knock a few things off. Sometimes I shoot the whole order right in the brains. All energy flows according to the whims of the great magnet.

"We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that death will tremble to take us." ---Hank

"Yeah, well, you know that's just like, uh, your opinion, man..." --- The Dude
    Posted 1 week ago #
  4. jaytex969

jaytex969

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I do this as a matter of practice.

For every cart full I purchase there have been a dozen filled and abandoned. I feel bad for the digital clerks that have to re-shelve the full carts of merchandise I leave at the site's entrance when I log off...

Gunner, Black Frigate. Say "Hello" to my little friend!
    Posted 1 week ago #
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

logs

Login to Send PM

All energy flows according to the whims of the great magnet.

I'm not sure what that means but I like it

Anyway, yeah I do it as well. Although more often than not I login and save my cart so I don't have to hunt through the website again to recreate my order. I just let it percolate in the back of my mind for a day or two and then make a decision.

Posted 1 week ago #
  6. shayde

shayde

Login to Send PM

I usually just load up a cart and wait till I’ve accumulated the funds for it. I check it just about daily and reevaluate each and everything in the cart. Sometimes I end up just scrapping the whole purchase when I get the opportunity to make it. The Pipes and Cigars website usually clears my cart in a few days time frame, this could be a large reason why the only tobaccos I buy from them tend to be impulse buys.

"I have some friends, some honest friends, and honest friends are few; My pipe of briar, my open fire, A book that's not too new." -Robert W. Service
    Posted 1 week ago #
  7. hsnzz

hsnzz

Login to Send PM

If I read/hear something enticing about a tobacco blend I rush to add it to the cart, only to remove most of the items because I don't feel so strongly about them anymore at a later time (or after reading tobaccoreviews). I think its my way of avoiding buyers remorse and my vain attempt to limit myself from buying thing on a daily basis. Oddly enough smoking pipes does have a "move to wish list" feature, which I use quite often, but I find it painful to review the items on the wish list. Its all the things I would buy if I had the extra cash - there is always wishful thinking!

Posted 1 week ago #
  8. scloyd

scloyd

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Have you ever cued up your cart online with items and the just zeroed it out and bought nothing?

To answer your question. Yes, I have.
    Seldom do I zero it out though. I usually will load the cart and then go back and delete a few items later.

Posted 1 week ago #
  9. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Very reassuring, guys. Usually I do all the gee-and-hawing in my head, but actually acting out and entering the items and then cancelling the whole shebang seemed pretty negative, but now it just seems like another way of considering the purchase. This gives me permission to fill up the cart and zero it out at will. Not that I won't go back and order some of the same items again, but it is another way of thinking it over. I'm at the place where I have plenty of tobacco for my needs, and I sure don't need pipes, but I often hear the harkening call. Anyone else do this? Or not?

Posted 1 week ago #
  10. alaskanpiper

alaskanpiper

Login to Send PM

All the time. I am so glad SP has the "move to wishlist" option when reviewing your cart. I have 40 or so pipes, but there are probably 100 on my wish list, thanks to that button.

I put some in there and then reconsider regularly. Same with tobacco.

Posted 1 week ago #
  11. mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

mothernature

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I not only do it with pipes and tobacco, I do it with other things too. Don't ask me what the other things are because I won't tell you.

Posted 1 week ago #
  12. anantaandroscoggin

anantaandroscoggin

Login to Send PM

I learned that the only way to put anything in your Missouri Meerschaum wish list is to first place it in your cart. Then you can move the item to the wish list. Can't be done from the item's description page.

Posted 1 week ago #
  13. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I am way more likely to empty my cart online than let them set a pipe that I want back into the case in person at the B&M. Where emptying my online cart is safe for my ego, because no one sees this. Having the boys at the B&M see me reject a pipe because of cost would cause some caterwauling and backslapping. So to keep my ego safe at the B&M, I keep my mouth shut until I have the dough, and all systems are go on the purchase.

Michael
    Posted 1 week ago #
  14. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

I've occasionally readjusted proportions on an order before pulling the trigger, but premature withdrawal? Nope.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

It is pointless to argue with a fanatic since a dim bulb can't be converted into a searchlight. - Jesse Silver
    Posted 1 week ago #
  15. chasingembers

chasingembers

Captain Of The Black Frigate

Login to Send PM

When I still had active accounts with online tobacco vendors if it was in the cart it was either purchased or placed in layaway. My puzzle addiction has led to a new practice. My shopping cart is my wish list and I buy them as money allows.

I like coffee exceedingly.
    - H. P. Lovecraft
    Posted 1 week ago #
  16. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

For whatever reasons, I never establish accounts with online retailers, but always order as a guest. I still get the paper catalogs from some, but I don't seem to get the overburdening of email, though I get some. So many online retailers send unending spam. I unsubscribe like crazy; sometimes it helps, often not.

Posted 1 week ago #
  17. drydock

drydock

Login to Send PM

Do it all the time. And if during the time I'm hemming and hawing, someone else snaps that pipe up and it disappears from my cart, I console myself with 'it wasn't meant to be.'

“Difficulties are what makes it honorable and interesting to be alive.” Florida Scott-Maxwell
    Posted 5 days ago #
  18. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

One time I was allowed to order a pipe that then turned out to be out of stock, I think because there were just a few seconds of lag between the successful order and mine. I have had a definite sense of relief when I dawdle on the decision and the pipe or tobacco gets sold. I so much don't need another pipe! Despite myself.

Posted 5 days ago #
  19. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

When I put something in my cart I buy it.

Harris
    Posted 5 days ago #
  20. samuelgawith01

samuelgawith01

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

98% of the time,what’s in my cart is what’s showing up at my front door,of in my mail box,as the case may be.

Posted 4 days ago #
  21. didimauw

didimauw

Mod

Login to Send PM

I do it with Amazon. All throughout the week me and the wife add things to the cart to order on payday. Usually it changes by about 50 percent by order day.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
    Posted 3 days ago #
  22. tidalwave

tidalwave

Login to Send PM

I keep running shopping carts at a half dozen different places. Eventually, one of them fills up to the point where I order, and I delete those from the other places. TobaccoPipes is kind of annoying with their 'Hey, you left stuff in your cart' emails.

And sometimes I revisit the cart and think 'wtf were you thinking, you don't need that many tins of Cult', and I empty it.

ISO bags of Eso Hastings, Scarborough, St. Ives, Peacehaven, Stonehaven, Penzance
    Posted 2 days ago #
  23. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

tidalwave, so much depends on knowing your own consumption. I'm a moderate smoker, a bowl a day with days off, but sometimes a few bowls on weekends. My TAD attacks are comically modest, two or three blends every few months, but I still keep considerably ahead of my consumption. I still dig out blends I don't remember buying. But I have accumulated some good leaf including some Dunhill, McClellan, Seattle Pipe Club, and Lowlands, among others. I'm enjoying a pound bag of D&R Two Timers, much of which I've jarred. And I have some large tins and tubs of blends in case the FDA shuts off the spigot on us. I should probably hoard a tub of Granger, despite it being around for more than a century, in case it gets caught in some regulatory leg-hold trap.

Posted 2 days ago #
  24. tidalwave

tidalwave

Login to Send PM

Fear of the tap being cut off is what fuels most of my TAD these days. Realistically, the 40+ pounds I have are likely to last me until I die, barring some major advances in longevity in the next two decades. My rule of thumb is I'm trying to get one pound minimum cellared of everything I really like. I'm not optimistic about continued availability of a lot of them.

Posted 2 days ago #
  25. User has not uploaded an avatar

sumusfumus

Login to Send PM

I delete, many times, the items that I have placed into a cart, when the shipping charges are added onto the order, and almost double or exceed the total price of the items. I very rarely buy impulsively because of ridiculous shipping charges. I can't tell you how many times I bought small items, e.g. pipe-cleaners, packets of tobacco samples, which weigh very little, and they were delivered in an oversize cardboard box, loaded with tons of padding. The point is that the box + all the padding weighed more than what was shipped. I paid for a box that went into the trash. A bubble-padded envelope would've been sufficient, and cost me half the price of that useless box. Nor do I get any shipping choices, except regular handling, or the very expensive shorter-delivery time options.

Now, I rethink most of my online purchases, and only buy what I really need, or can't easily purchase.

Posted 2 days ago #
  26. tidalwave

tidalwave

Login to Send PM

It's particularly bad if you want to cross the pond. I've got a $250 cart sitting at Estervals because I'm choking on a $50 shipping fee. The costs for shipping between the US and EU have gotten ridiculous.

Posted 2 days ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   bnichols23, bluegrassbrian, jeff540, jchaplick, k9shag, aquadoc, pianopuffer, armonts