Need walk through on cleaning a overly used, never cleaned goard calabash.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

tokerpipes

Lifer
Jan 16, 2012
Eatonville, WA
So I picked up a goard calabash that didn't have much of a draw. I cleaned it as best I could with out using any alcohol inside the goard. As I am aware these can be very valuable I don't want to mess it up. There is about 2 quarters stacked worth of black gunk layered throughout the intire inside of the goard. I have heard swishing everclear and the salt & everclear method works but when I asked if they have done it on a goard they said no. Has anybody ever done a cleaning like this and the pipe servive? :puffpipe:

lifeon2

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 19, 2012
denver co
well it sounds like it is thick enough to soak a cottonball in evercleaar and gently scrub it out. If the stem is removable pull it and use pipe cleaners and alchohol. As long as you dont saturate the gourd it shouldnt be an issue.

tokerpipes

Lifer
Jan 16, 2012
Eatonville, WA
The origional owner never cleaned it I guess. I will try that some, better than soaking the gosrd. Do you know if the salt and alcohol would work without softening the goard walls?

jchaplick

Lifer
May 8, 2011
From what I have people tell each other at my club, you put some alcohol on a very slightly abrasive cloth and scrub, the gourd is supposed to discolor like clays and meers do as well.
Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.