PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bedollae

Lurker
Jul 31, 2017
I just started this wonderful pass time and regrettably I must stop. Health complications arose and though not directly associated with pipe smoking, it won't help on my quest to wellness. What I need is direction on where I can part with the few pipes I and tobacco I've acquired? I know I don't meet the requirements to list my items here but is there another place?

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Sorry to hear about your health issues. My advice is to do nothing. If your concerns are not pipe related and you just need time to get better then sit pat. A friend of mine went through a rough patch and gave a lot os stuff away only to wind up replacing it all within a year.

Concentrate on getting back to 100%, stay in touch here and let us know how you're doing.

cosmicbobo

Part of the Furniture Now
May 11, 2017
I had a chronic fluid buildup years ago. I kept a jar of my fav tabac stored, never feeling like getting to it. Recently, when I took up the pipe again I realized that tobacco ages... wonderfully. I knew I had a meer. Since then I found two more tobaccos I stored and three pipes. My breathing, which still sucks, is not pipe related. I walk about fifteen feet with or without a pipe. I will not spend 3K a month on the COPD med of the day, as I have other issues. So, fifteen feet and my fave toby... works. papipeguy is totally right

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Bedollar, I'm sorry to hear about your health issues. Spend your time getting better, not worrying about disposing of your stuff. John's advice is sage. Once you are well again, if you still want to get rid of it all, there will be plenty of time to do that.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I think papipeguy's advice is spot-on. Put away your pipe paraphernalia; it'll keep quit nicely -- it's not like you have to feed it or anything. :lol:

bedollae

Lurker
Jul 31, 2017
I really appreciate the more than perfect advice. I'll do exactly as said and stick around here while my baccy ages (just a bit)....I don't plan on being down for long!

oldmansmoking

Part of the Furniture Now
May 13, 2017
UK
papipeguy Advice is sage, keep your stuff. Jar your tobacco and rethink when your better. As one who gave it all away only wishing I still had it years latter.

You might regret a hasty decision!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I quit pipe smoking for years in support of my late wife who quit a heavy cigarette habit, but I kept the pipes, just like them as objects, kinda nice. Later when I was alone, and especially even later when re-married, when my wife was having health problems, a pipe was a good solace and worked better than trying to have a drink or two.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I quit pipe smoking in 2012 and after six weeks started bumming cigarettes, thinking that an occasional cigarette was not really smoking. A few months later I started buying packs. Two months after that I finally admitted to myself that I was smoking again, and if I was going to smoke I should return to the pipe. The problem was that I'd sold all my pipes and tobacco, on the order of $6K. So I bought it all back.

nevadablue

Lifer
Jun 5, 2017
Prayer sent for the health issues.
For what it is worth, (free, LOL), I started smoking a pipe in '08 while on a construction job. I returned home from overseas in the late fall, put all my pipe stuff away, displaying a pipe rack full of pipes. Then in June of this year someone on another forum (different hobby) started talking about pipes. That got me going again. I am glad it did, this is a very enjoyable, quiet hobby.

Hopefully you will be able to take up the pipe again.

bedollae

Lurker
Jul 31, 2017
Great to hear that that I'm not unique when it comes to having to take a bit of a hiatus from pipe smoking. I certainly don't want to have to buy what I've already acquired all over again...which although isn't much (MM Dagner "gurgling" cob, MM Elf Cobbit OD cob and four different tobaccos) it's still a few $$ I'd have to shell out when I return to this rather calming of hobbies.

cam9

Lurker
May 1, 2017
To the OP, best of luck to you.
As someone who is still very new to pipe smoking, it is so great to see the responses in this thread being supportive vs being opportunistic in looking to get a deal on new pipes.

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
I went through some serious health issues starting about a year ago. I didn't want to touch a pipe for most of that time. Now that I'm semi-retired (involuntarily), the pipe has become one of my best friends.
Pax

Status
Not open for further replies.