PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrgunnar177

Lifer
Apr 5, 2012
United States
Hey all, as most of you know I'm enlisted the the USMC and I now ship in late January, I would like to lose 15 pounds, any tips on diet or exercise? Also I need to strengthen my core.

Cheers!

Gunnar

bdstansel

Starting to Get Obsessed
I could write a book here...several other have done so. To lose weight you must take in few calories than you are burning in a given day. What worked for me, quit drinking soda, quit going out to eat, period. Anything I took in was prepared by ME. It costs more to shop healthy but it is worth it. Also, I modified eating times...I eat 5 times a day (0500, 0800, 1100, 1400 & 1700) but much smaller portions. This little bit at a time method keeps your blood sugar levels on a more even keel and not the roller-coaster ride of drastic ups and downs. Another critical thing is that 12hrs of fasting between 5PM & 5AM. Late night snacking will kill your plan...to stave off any cravings I would have a hot green tea with stevia sweetener around 7PM, as needed. You must also drink lots of water, for me 3 liters a day, minimum. Read labels on pre-processed foods, watching out for sugars and saturated fats. Increase your protein intake and take some sorta of multi-vitamins. OK, enough info? My results on this plan...from Nov '10 to May '11 - I dropped 51.6 lbs.

ovidsmuse

Lurker
Sep 12, 2012
Gunnar, this is assuming you haven't done boot. Your first concern should be cardio, and strength a close second. Cut back on carbs, but don't cut them out completely, and increase low fat protein intake. Get a medicine ball and look up workouts that incorporate them, if you have a partner even better. You can use it for strength and even incorporate it into cardio, it's a good tool to have for working out.
Start jogging, or if you're already in decent shape running. A good schedule is,
Day 1 - "distance" run: running or jogging at a pace that maximizes distance.
Day 2 - Strength Cardio: push ups, pull ups, jumping jacks, running in place, medicine ball workouts. You can find instructions for these online, the idea is to do sets of these without stopping in between, alternate between muscle groups but try to keep heart rate up.
Day 3 - Rest, or light weight lifting/asymmetric strength training
Day 4 - Interval Training: Look it up, long explanation but easy do understand
Day 5 - Strength Training: You can use weights, or a medicine ball and pull ups, push ups, sit ups etc. Instead of worrying about keeping heart rate up you're worried about pushing the number of reps and form. A slow push up with total control takes more strength that 10 fast half ass ones.
Day 6 - Low Impact Cardio: Best option in my opinion is Swimming, can do a a bike or 'ski machine' also. Some people say jump rope but I think that's too much impact.
Day 7 - True rest, no purpose full exercise. This is also a good 'cheat' day for your diet. A little extra fat or carbs are ok on this day, just don't go overboard.
Do not try and cut calories while doing this routine, you will feel horrible and eventually give up. If you get a sharp or repetitive pain, stop and do something else, and don't push to hard the first two weeks. Also, if you do this for two or three weeks you will lose weight at first, then gain a few pounds in weeks four and five, that is normal. And if you find yourself really low on energy, or getting light headed regular, up your carb intake with preferably unrefined carbs.
Good luck, and enjoy San Diego if that's where you go to camp, and don't try to prepare for the phases. Just be in the best mental and physical shape you can because the instructors job is to break you and then rebuild you.

maduroman

Part of the Furniture Now
May 15, 2010
you will be a hollywood marine and that means boot camp for you will be a breeze. you'll have your own servants and everything along with limos to take you to the ranges...

topd

Lifer
Mar 23, 2012
Emerson, Arkansas
Run three miles wearing combat boots in less than 26 minutes every morning. Get used to it.

You'll lose weight. Gut it out! Just think... you'll be a Marine around the first of April!
7345664964_ed2b1e2fa7_c_zps79b5a4be.jpg

fshu2

Can't Leave
Jan 22, 2011
I am a boxer so weight control is literally my life. there is no beating the calorie in calorie out method. this method states that if you take in more than you burn you will gain so do the inverse. unfortunately we can not leave it so simple you have to take in the right kind of foods.
there are three basic food groups Protein, Carbs and Fats despite what every one ever thought they are all necessary for your body to function properly. the fat we think is on the back of the box that tells us the foods nutrition is not really bad fat. they fat we think of is unused energy stored for men in our stomachs. this happens when our eating is greater than our burning. this may sound complicated to calculate how many calories you burn just breathing and how many working out compared to how many you eat but there is an easy solution. EAT ALL DAY. i eat 10 to 12 times a day on the 2 hour mark. i wake up at 6:25 to start eating at six thirty and do not stop at all.
this method is tedious but it works i weigh 212 pounds and have less than 4% body fat i can do anything from high rep dead-lifts at 300+ to run jabs for a full fight without dying out. i would be more than happy to give you a sample diet if you would like.
BUT PLEASEEEEEEE!!!!!! seeing as how active you will be in the upcoming year DO NOT just focus on weight loss other wise you will be lighter but actually most likely worse off.
Sorry for the long post this is just something i know way to much about.

garyovich

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 22, 2012
Good advice from all.
Depending on your current habits there are very easy ways to dramatically cut caloric intake.

1. Don't eat anywhere that has a drive-thru

2. Don't buy any food where they also sell gas

3. Cut out all alcohol
If you do any of these with regularity and cut them out completely you should notice a big difference in how you feel and eventually on the scale.
If you are within the weight limits given you by your recruiter you should be good already. The standard for enlistment is set so that by the end of your basic you will meet the standard for active duty. As long as you are within the enlistment standard my advice is enjoy your time leading up to basic and don't stuff yourself over the holidays.
Gary

zanthal

Lifer
Dec 3, 2011
Pleasanton, CA
As is easily told in my avatar pic, I've got more fat pounds than I need.
However this has made me something of an expert on diets.
I've found the best diet is a simple high protein diet. It provides the most energy, the best muscle growth, and doesn't "feel" like a diet.
The way I do it, is drinking 2 protein shakes a day (the mixed kind that body builders use) and eating only food that is high in protein (eggs, nuts, meats, beans, etc). Sticking to those two rules works quite well for me.

hawk60ce

Lifer
Jun 11, 2012
Definitely cut out beer and mixed drinks. I like a nice glass of whiskey on the rocks. Straight liquor is very low on calories. There's my advice on alcohol.
Cut out pop and fast food. Start off slow and try not to get discouraged. It takes time but stick with it. Google search will show you hundreds of thousands of different ideas. Not all will work for you.

adam12

Part of the Furniture Now
May 16, 2011
High protein foods are good. Google "super foods" and see what you like.
Eat a bowl of Grape Nuts every AM. They're great
Eliminate all soft drinks and replace with water - lots of water
Light lunch, maybe a healthy granola bar (not a sugary one) or a banana/raw fruit.
I like greek yogurts, very high protein.
Also, working out in the AM is best for me because I find that the rest of the day is revved-up and my metabolism is good to go all day long.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
When I went in the Navy I was 166lbs, hard from working on farm, Thought I was tough, after 26 wks running with a team that had a telephone pole on your shoulder, I kidded the men, being the shortest I was at the rear and the pounding was severe, I told them I was 6ft tall when I came here, now I"m 5ft 6. LOL, came back home hard as a nail at 152lbs, you"d better get in shape because if you don"t it won" t be pretty. The old cajun

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
I lost the most weight when I tracked my calorie intake. I have reached a plateau, where I can't seem to get past, but that's another story. I use "myfitnesspal" to track my calories. That being said, I lost 55 pound with diet and exercise using that plan. I also do strength training, bicycle, and elliptical machine.

mrgunnar177

Lifer
Apr 5, 2012
United States
Thanks for all the advice you guys are the best!! :worship: I would love a sample diet plan. I'll be cutting out beer fast food and soda. I'm strongish but my pull ups need work and more core isnt strong. Cardio needs the most work I can sprint but when it comes to distance I really struggle.

Haha not even my recruiter has promised me limo rides to the range :rofl:

I love full metal jacket.

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
I lost 85 pounds a couple of years ago. I dropped soda, ran every day, and lifted weights 4 times a week. I don't count calories I just eat better and less. I have been having joint problems though and have gained a little back.

Status
Not open for further replies.