Tags:  No tags yet. 

Need Something With Over the Top Taste but not Smoky

(25 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by greatsteaks
  • Latest reply from greatsteaks
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

greatsteaks

Login to Send PM

I have been smoking aromatics for a while now and need mote actual taste in my mouth. I don’t really taste anything even when I exhale through my nose. So far I have tried:

Captain Black Regular (like), Gold (don’t like) and Royal (my favorite, I ordered 8oz of 1Q and is my go to smoke)
    Middleton’s Apple (like)
    Classic Vanilla (don’t like)
    BCA (I think, local B&M blend I think is really BCA) (like)
    3 different cherries (don’t like)
    Carter Hall (like)
    Crème Brule (it’s ok)
    Burley Kake (it’s ok)
    H&H Caramel Apple (it’s ok)
    5100 (it’s ok)

While I have noted the ones I like and dislike, I cannot taste anything from any of them!
    The ones I like, I like because they don’t bite my tongue and because I like the aroma. I love 1-Q and exhale through my mouth slowly and inhale back through my nose but still no taste in my mouth.
    I have recently just tried Frog Morton OTT and must say I hate it. I guess I can taste something on the back of my throat and where it meets my sinus passage that to me tastes like smoky leather and, well, I don’t like smoky leather in my mouth.

Am I just screwed in the taste dept. I’m open to trying other English blends but have never been a fan of smoked anything. Also from what I have read, the English blends that have taste have a bad odor and I can’t imagine liking the way something tastes but not how it smells.
    I have no problem tasting any foods and can distinguish different flavors of fruits, nuts, ice cream flavors, coffee flavors.
    Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Posted 1 year ago #
  2. flintlockjohn

flintlockjohn

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I can recommend Stokkebye's English Luxury as a mild blend with, to me, a good room note. Of course, I love the smell of Larry's Blend, which my daughter likened to diesel fuel mixed with campfire smoke.

Posted 1 year ago #
  3. sebastian

sebastian

Login to Send PM

I would have to recommend that you try Peterson's Sunset Breeze. It has a wonderful room note and a flavor to match. To me it tastes a little fruity and nutty with a touch of amaretto.

Posted 1 year ago #
  4. uberam3rica

Uberam3rica

Mod

Login to Send PM

I would try several English blends, you may find you like the smell. Plus it won't always smell like it does in the tin when it is burning. That smoky leather taste is the latakia, which is prominent in most English blends. Not all of these are English blends, but here are a few I like: Macbarren HH Highland Blend, C&D Mississippi Mud, Frog Morton On The Bayou, Escudo, H&H Aj's VaPer, H&H Anniversary Kake, H&H Virginia Spice, Esoterica Penzance, Lane 1Q, Macbarren 7 Seas Gold and Peter Stokkebye Pistaschio.

As long as I got a pipe full of baccy and a nose full of snuff, I'm a happy camper
    Cigarettes are an addiction, cigars are a hobby, pipes are a religion
    Posted 1 year ago #
  5. chispa

chispa

Login to Send PM

Check out MacBaren Scottish Mixture. Not really an aromatic but has some topping, tastes sweet and fuller bodied than most aromatics.

Also, do some research on Shortcut to Mushrooms. Might bridge the gap from aromatics to other styles.

<<insert witty signature here>>
    Posted 1 year ago #
  6. uberam3rica

Uberam3rica

Mod

Login to Send PM

Check out MacBaren Scottish Mixture

Good stuff. I had some from 1985, it was damn good.

Posted 1 year ago #
  7. redbeard

redbeard

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I found this new place and picked up some Black Gold Plus.... I was amazed by the tastes and smells coming from my pipe!!

Posted 1 year ago #
  8. sothron

Perique

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Crossover aromatics, I recommend, in order:

GL Pease's Barbary Coast
    Orlik Golden Sliced
    Erinmore Flake
    Peterson's University Flake

Posted 1 year ago #
  9. admin

Kevin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now

Login to Send PM

G.L. Pease Navigator & Sextant - lots of flavor, not smoky.

Check Out Our - Pipes Podcast
    Posted 1 year ago #
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

+1 on GLP Navigator (I only had a one bowl sample, but it's on the list for next TAD).

+1 Peterson's University Flake and Erinmore Flake (NOT the Mixture).

I think you'd enjoy H&H Anniversary Kake and MacBaren's Vanilla Flake.

I know you said "no smokey," but McClelland's Frog Morton Cellar is something I'd urge you to try.

Good luck! Please let us know how you make out

Posted 1 year ago #
  11. papipeguy

papipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Two Friends English Chocolate. It's all it claims to be.

Blowin' smoke since 1970.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  12. fitzy

fitzy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

+1 on Frog Morton Cellar. Not overly smokey.

I'd also recommend you take a look at GL Pease Haddo's Delight. Also Villiger 1888's Mid Day. One thing with aromatic's is that unless you smoke it cool and slow you won't really get much of a taste like the tin aroma.

Midwest Wood Creations
    Be sure to check out Gecko13's handiwork when in the market for any of your pipe accessory needs such as tampers, cabinets, pipe racks etc.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  13. lyle

lyle

Login to Send PM

I've always found more taste in cigars. I very rarely smoke cigars, but when I do, it always surprises me how much more flavor I get when the actual tobacco is in my mouth. Just an observation.

Flavor in pipe smoke seems to be limited to sweetness, sour/tangy, and maybe a little "meatiness", kind of like Worcestershire or soy sauce.

When it comes to aromatics, the chocolate, clove, etc. always present themselves (to me) as smells.

Posted 1 year ago #
  14. dragonslayer

dragonslayer

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

How about the H&H AK? I'm a big believer in the AK if you’re looking to kick it up. But it is a little smoky. The BBF and FVF could send you down the VA line, which isn't very smoky. Have you tried a Lampe Berger, seems to work well in removing odor and leaving a nice sent.

“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests.” Patrick Henry
    Posted 1 year ago #
  15. bentmike

bentmike

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

McB Vanilla Cream Flakes is a good one someone mentioned. As is McB Navy Flakes. In my opinion the real big flavors come when smoking flakes.

Posted 1 year ago #
  16. cortezattic

Cortez

A part of the problem since he ...

Login to Send PM

In the OP you mentioned that you liked Middleton's Apple.
    Try Low Country Santee -- to me it's one of the few (semi-) aro's that tastes like both tobacco and apple.

Also, in the previous post by BentMike, notice how he prepared the flake. Very important.

I find myself sitting idly on the line dividing past and future,
    as if I could kill time without injuring eternity. -- Thoreau
    Posted 1 year ago #
  17. dhizzy

dhizzy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I agree on MacBaren Mixture Scottish, Navy Flake and Vanilla Cream Flake. All very good flavors...also lump in there Navy Mixture.

By the eternal! There is a man whose form should be cast in deathless bronze and the statue placed in every college in the land. It is not book-learning young men need, nor instruction about this and that, but a stiffening of the vertebrae which will cause them to be loyal to a trust, to act promptly, concentrate their energies; do the thing - "carry a message to Garcia!" Elbert Hubbard "A Message to Garcia" 1899
    Posted 1 year ago #
  18. crpntr1

Chris

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Bullseye flake, Luxury Twist Flake, Escudo,FVF, Sterling Millionaire Blend,Squadron Leader, MV-1000, Halowynd, La Red, Park-Lane Connoisseur Flake, Lux Navy Flake, 1931 Flake

The most important things in life are good friends and a good bullpen...not necessarily in that order

You may all go to hell, I'll go to Texas-Davy Crockett
    Posted 1 year ago #
  19. pstlpkr

Lawrence

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

You might try a total departure from the blends mentioned above...
    Samuel Gawith Grousemoor

T minus SIX

"Ending a sentence with a preposition is something up with which I will not put." Winston Churchill
    View Lawrence  Whitcomb's profile on LinkedIn
    Posted 1 year ago #
  20. User has not uploaded an avatar

greatsteaks

Login to Send PM

Thanks everyone. I ordered some Navy Flake in a previous order that should arrive Friday or Saturday. How do you prepare a flake to look like the above picture?
    Also how about some non smoky english blends with no Latakia (if that's what giving the Frog Morton OTT the taste I dislike)

Posted 1 year ago #
  21. rmbittner

rmbittner

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

greatsteaks:

"English blends with no latakia" is a bit of a misnomer: Latakia is one of the three ingredients that defines an English blend. It's better to say you're looking for a non-aromatic with no latakia.

I'd recommend Presbyterian Mixture, which contains a tiny amount of latakia, but in only condimental quantities. Chances are, you wouldn't even know it's there. I'm also a huge fan of Rattray's Jocks Mixture, which would fall more into the "Scottish" category -- blends that typically mix Virginias and cavendish and which may or may not also include some orientals (including latakia). McClelland's Anniversary has many similarities to Jocks and is highly recommended. Another one, and one that really gets overlooked, is McClelland's 221B: Honeydew; I know it sounds like an aromatic, but it's really not. (And there's no honey in it; traditionally, "honeydew" refers to blends that have been sweetened with molasses.)

And then there's the whole world of straight Virginias, Virginia/perique, and Virginia/burley blends. Literally dozens of very good and great blends in those categories.

Bob

Posted 1 year ago #
  22. crpntr1

Chris

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

How do you prepare a flake to look like the above picture?

Its cube cut, I just cut against the grain with scissors, navy flake is great this way

Posted 1 year ago #
  23. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

How do you prepare a flake to look like the above picture?

Its cube cut, I just cut against the grain with scissors, navy flake is great this way

Yep, Bentmike has most of us cube cutting flakes. You can check out his thread here from last summer about it.

As Chris says, cube-cut is fairly simple to do, cut strips with scissors then cut them across, so you end up with 1/8 inch cubes. Just be sure to let them dry properly; use the pinch test method -- your bowlful is ready when the pieces no longer clump together.

Posted 1 year ago #
  24. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

If you are looking for flavor I would recommend the following.

Escudo
    GL Pease Navigator
    Mac Baren HH Old Dark Fired
    Petersons Irish Flake

Harris
    Posted 1 year ago #
  25. User has not uploaded an avatar

greatsteaks

Login to Send PM

Thanks again.

Posted 1 year ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   beefeater33, puffy, jmatt, conlejm, maxpeters, sparks, dmcmtk, woodsroad, 7ach, jiminks, zekest, cmdrmcbragg, philobeddoe, mirain, brokenkrayon, pitchfork, snagstangl, doctorthoss, stluisrey, phonomet, radio807, agnosticpipe