PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
Ok, so here's the criteria/backstory:
I usually smoke VA /VaPers but have been smoking aros again because it doesn't stink up the family vehicle with stale smoke while I am driving. I picked up Molto Dolce again and everyone has been enjoying the car smelling like brownies. But I require variety and can't smoke Molto Dolce day in and day out.
I usually love the Sutliff blends I have sampled before. I also HATE fruity blends or anything that is burley heavy.
So what's good to you guys? I also like Lane RLP-6, it's ok.

nachman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 27, 2013
Some of the Boswells blends are good. I am not an Aro smoker, but enjoy their Bears Blend which is a caramel, cherry aeromatic with a little more nicotine than most flavoured tobaccos.

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
The aromatic blend that I have indulged in for years (occasionally) is Sir Walter Raleigh Aromatic. It is a pretty good blend. Lately I've been enjoying McClelland Caramel Rush mixed about 50/50 with McClelland Virginia #25. Pretty enjoyable smoke due to the Virginia and smells like pancakes according to those around me.
Mike S.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
As jiminks will attest, and I will agree, Edward G. Robinson is a well modulated aro that is a good change-up for

non-aromatic smokers as well (me). Lanes LL-7 is a mild aro with some personality and tobacco forward flavor,

and I rather like Altadis Queen Anne's Revenge, despite having to constantly explain the name (Blackbeard the

piarate's flagship). Peterson's 2013 Reserve is pleasant, and I like Sutliffs Taste of Summer despite it being

off-season. Aros are my change of pace from mostly English, non-aro burley blends and Va and Va/Per leaf.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
As Mso489 noted, I would recommend Edward G. Robinson's Pipe Blend in a quick minute. Since the Commander likes Sutliff blends, I would also throw in A Taste of Autumn, Queen Anne's Revenge (Jamaican rum and BC), Mountain Pass (tastes like Boston Creme Pie), County Cork (a very peasant Irish Mist topping), and Alexander Bridge, which is an under rated light aro.
County Cork:

A mild topping of Irish whisky is the star flavor, though you can get a little taste of the Virginia and sweet burley with a light bread note. It’s a short ribbon cut that burns well, even and cooly with a consistent creamy smoothness, and no sour notes. An all day smoke that doesn’t overwhelm and has a pleasant room note.
Mountain Pass:

A black and Golden cavendish aromatic with a creamy, buttery vanilla custard flavor. By intent, you won’t get much tobacco taste here, except for a touch of honey from the Gold cavendish. Coarse cut with some ribbon, and lightly moist, the entrancing aroma from the tin translates well to the flavor of the smoke and room note. Burns even and cool with no bite, with a rich consistency of taste from start to finish. It somewhat reminds me of Boston Cream Pie with a little extra chocolate.
Alexander Bridge:

A mild and tasty mix of red and gold Virginias with some burley. The burley adds a very slight nutty note, and the gold Virginia chips in with a very light lemon hit with a touch of cavendish. There's a lightly added topping that reminds me of red wine, along with a light apricot and honey essence that hints of sweet bread flavor. The flavors expertly meld to create a well balanced semi-sweet all day smoke with no bite, no goop, and an even burn rate.
Taste of Autumn:

A tasty medium aromatic with a multiplicity of flavors. The smell of the tobacco in the tin is much stronger than how it tastes. Pumpkin is one of the major players, though I perceive an essence of cooking wine. At the halfway point, I got bare hints of vanilla from the black cavendish, honey from the gold cavendish, and a very slight hay Virginia note. There's all-spice and nutmeg hits throughout the entire smoke. Burns well, though it may benefit from a little dry time. It's one of those blends where the taste grows on you after a few bowls. While it'll provide a nice seasonal treat as the name implies, it also makes a good summer time blend while you're out in the fresh air.
Queen Anne's Revenge (bulk):

Rum and vanilla are the main flavors. The Virginia is there to tame potential harshness, because you really can't taste it. I get a few burley notes here and there. The rum is very pleasant, and if I had my choice, I'd decrease the vanilla flavor and let the rum shine through more. However, it's very flavorful, though it may require a little dry time. Don't dry it out completely though or you'll risk losing some flavor.
EGR:

I greatly enjoy the strong aroma of the freshly open tub, which was the red wine casing. The room note is pleasant, and passes the wife test. The taste is mildly sweet, but not cloyingly so. I barely notice what latakia is here, so I suppose it's just a light condiment to give it a slight "oompf." The black cavendish is not strong, but I taste a little sweetness from it, and I can see it in the tub, even though some claim there's none there. There's too many black pieces in here not to have some cavendish, because there's no chance all those black pieces are latakia or this would have a more smokey quality that latakia provides, and it doesn't. I get some burley notes along with the gold cavendish. I also got a plum note or two that reminds me of MacBaren's Plumcake in a minor way as well as a light honey note. Burns well and evenly, and has a little nic kick to it. No goop.

eightywon

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 4, 2014
Iwan Ries Three Star Buttered Rum is the best aro I've had in my limited, unpleasant experience with the sweets.

Will send pm.

mephistopheles

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 14, 2014
Sutliff Private Stock:

Charlemagne

Great Outdoors

Frosty Mint

Kentucky Planter (Apparently this is burley)
Hearth & Home:

Mohawk River
Lane Limited:

1-Q

BCA
Russ' Monthly Blend:

Snowdrift
Aros are all that I've tried.

bigboi

Lifer
Nov 12, 2012
I have really enjoyed MacBarens Vanilla Cream Flake. Great tasting and smelling.

buster

Lifer
Sep 1, 2011
Sutlif's maple street is nice! It is my new favorite. Very different than Molto Dulce.

I also picked up a bulk at mt local shop called champagne I belive is made by consolidated? It edged out Lane's hazlenut for #2 spot in my rotation. I also have a love for Mac Baren's vanilla flake yet I only visit it from time to time.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
Ya just gotta love when these type of questions comes up about a tobacco suggestion. Ask, and you'll get 101 different suggestions. Ask the very same question a month or two later, and you'll get another 101 different suggestions from the very same people! :lol:

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
Aromatic + not burley heavy is a tall order.
I would recommend Savinelli Cavendish. An underrated and excellent aromatic.
Additionally, and always, I recommend Pipeworks & Wilke aromatics. Try No.191, a world-class aro. Additionally: Vermont Maple Cavendish and Rumcake.

Status
Not open for further replies.