Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dixie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 27, 2013
Picked up this KB&B unsmoked all wood pipe. I think it is pre 1930's…can anyone shed more light on this pipe?

FullSizeRender-14_zpsopcmdtyx.jpg

FullSizeRender-13_zpskebjlrwb.jpg

FullSizeRender-15_zpsqmlsjyc4.jpg

FullSizeRender-16_zps4yuhqy6n.jpg

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
dixie, You have made another great find. This does not rival your Dunhill haul, but what you have is a rare pre-1924/1925 pipe from Kaufman Brothers and Bondy, the company that would become famous for the Kaywoodie and Yello Bole brands. Judging by the flaws, fills, and "French Briar" stamping, this was a low-end offering among the tremendous number of lines offered by KB&B.

xrundog

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2014
Ames, IA
I'm with buroak on the dates and info. I picture that pipe on a cardboard counter display sold for less than a dollar aimed at the pipe smoking workingman.
And it's a Devil Anse. That's pretty much the sort of pipe Costner smoked in "The Hatfields and McCoys"

May 31, 2012
I agree with Buroak that it's a 20's era pipe and Damn Dixie! what a nice find. :clap:

I've never seen one by KB&B and the AllBriar pipes are a particular fascination of mine...
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/are-wood-stems-better-than-plastic-stems
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/where-the-heck-can-i-find-a-completely-wooden-pipe​
I think your KB&B is a great find.
Many of the oldtime great factories used to make an allbriar pipe,

even Barling's Make:

http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/barlings-make-question
I think the exercise of such execution came from the French tradition,

but I don't really know.
I do know that when Kaywoodie came out with their AllBriar pipe it redefined the name as being not a monoblock all-one-piece pipe, but one with a wooden stem.
Your pipe looks awesome,

although it appears to be misdrilled.
This sort of pipe is actually very difficult to make.
I picture that pipe on a cardboard counter display sold for less than a dollar aimed at the pipe smoking workingman.
xrundog is probably correct in this regard,

as this style of pipe is highly functional and wear-resistant in everyday worklife.
I'm just glad you shared the photos with us because I've been continually trying to find out more about these things and to know that KB&B was making them is great news.
Thank you.
:puffy:

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
Your pipe looks awesome,

although it appears to be misdrilled.
I had not noticed that. I have a misdrilled Comoy's that works just fine, dixie, so you should be able to safely smoke this pipe.

May 31, 2012
I have a misdrilled Comoy's that works just fine, dixie, so you should be able to safely smoke this pipe.
No doubt,

no doubt.
I have a Grp. 3 Parker lovat that has no business being the great pipe that it is despite some huge technical flaws -

shank as crooked as a dog's hind leg and airway very badly misdrilled,

smokes like a Champion though!

:puffy:

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
misterlowercase, For some reason pipe smokers (I suspect neophyte pipe smokers) get very hung-up on perfect centering of the draft hole. I suppose an off-center draft hole will pull the ember and heat to one side of the bowl, but that is a manageable condition. It sounds like both of us have misdrilled pipes that smoke better than they have any right to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.