PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cygnusx1

Lurker
Aug 31, 2009
Ok, so as most will figure out, I am somewhat new here. I am an aromatic smoker mostly, but here's where I need help. Let me paint a picture. It's an Autumn day in New england, there's a bit of crispy coolness to the air, your wearing your favorite flannel. Then, some dude walks by smoking a pipe with what smells like your grandmothers spice bread. Cinnamon, clove, etc. And it makes you want to instantly tackle the man and demand he tell you what is in the bowl. I would love to try some other tobaccos but not sure where to start. English, burley etc. What I don't want is something leathery or cedary. Just nice flavor and room note, outside of the aromatics realm, but maybe something aromatic light? Dose anyone understand what I am looking for? Thanks guys, you all seem like a good bunch.
Edit: Corrected capitalization in thread title, L.

crpntr1

Lifer
Dec 18, 2011
Texas
+1 for 1Q, it's one of my favorites

Altadis black spice is similar to what you described tho IMO

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
Ya, 1-Q is a good chioce. However, if you are looking for something "leathery", as you said, then you are thinking of something English or with a bit of Lat. maybe. So I would suggest 2 good starting choices: 1-Q for the simple aro. and great room note, easy to smoke and enjoyable. Walnut for a light English flavor, but not enough to make it complex: just mild and easy to enjoy. To change it up a bit, consider a 50 50 mix of the 2 blends.

cygnusx1

Lurker
Aug 31, 2009
What's funny is, the first pipe tobacco I smoked was CArter hall in high school. My friend and I carved wood pipes and made our own. It was good.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
Mellow Mack by McClelland has a honey sweet and nutty taste and aroma. Billed as the mildest and smoothest of pipe tobaccos by McClelland, it has a really nice room note that garners many compliments from passersby. Here lately I have been smoking Mellow Mack and Eric Stokkebye's 4th Generation series 1957 tobacco, which has a smooth vanilla flavor and room note, and a comfortable bit of nicotine.

If you are looking for the leather, then I like McClelland Blue Mountain, or Black House, as a great way to get into English blends. My first English was Dunhill 965, and I still smoke it regularly, but I think Blue Mountain is smoother on the throat.

oldpops41

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 28, 2012
I havent tried many tobaccos "yet" but im starting to get rolling and i to think 1Q is very nice.

cygnusx1

Lurker
Aug 31, 2009
Ok, so I tried Q1, It is nice. I see why people like this blend. Some chocolatey notes as well as vanilla on the nostrils. I think this to be the best cheaper blend I have ever tried. Not all that glitters is gold as they say. Smoked out of a corn cob and man it was good.

gmwolford

Lifer
Jul 26, 2012
WV, USA
Autumn Evening and Butternut Burley are also good choices if the 1Q settled well with you. Captian Black Royal is not bad either and can be found at most any place that sells pipe tobacco; I don't personally care for CB White but many do and it's as easy/easier to find.

05venturer

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Amery,WI
I'd also suggest you buy a pouch of Carter Hall to go with your 1Q. Ya, I know, "what? an OTC old codger blend?" Yep! Try blending a little of each together for a smoke. Sounds silly but look -- it's cheap and tasty -- and you can modulate the flavors by adding a little more or a little less of each to get to your own personal "sweet spot."

100% agree, I just got back on the computer after mixing up a 50/50 blend of 1Q & CH 5 minutes ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.