PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

grizzly86

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 5, 2012
I wasn't quite sure what area to post this in, but this seemed as good a bet as any. I have been throwing around the idea of making my own pipe, or maybe a few. They will probably be ugly as sin, but I think it would be great to smoke something I made myself. That being said... where can I get the stains, what should I use to seal it, and where is a good place for stems? I have read that I want alcohol based stains, but I'm out of my league here and would appreciate if someone could point me in the right direction.
Edit: Moved to Pipe Repair and Maintenance... Seems to fit the parameters. L

firstwordisee

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 10, 2012
I found Fiebings alcohol based stain at the local Tandy Leather Factory. It may be best for you to order on-line. Pipe Makers Emporium has everything you need including pure carnuba that you should finish with (carnubs will be impossible to find and any kind of local store, at least it was to me. For briar, find Mark Tinsky. Goog Luck, I am on pipe number 4.

zanthal

Lifer
Dec 3, 2011
Pleasanton, CA
Tim West at jhlowe.com is a good supplier.
I've been wanting to do the same thing for a while grizzly86 ... I think I will probably take the easy method to begin with and get a pre-bore pipe kit.

grizzly86

Apr 5, 2012
Thanks for the help guys. Keep it coming let me know what sites you use to get what you prefer using.
zanthal I was thinking the same thing with the pre-bore. I would hate to spend all the time working on something that turned out unsmokeable.
I am really wanting to try a Danish. What do you guys think?

firstwordisee

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 10, 2012
If you are using a kit I highly recommend Mark Tinsky kits, his website is http://amsmoke.com/. I think he also has a tutorial on the site too. You can complete the pipe with minimal tools, coping saw, various files, and sandpaper. You will need a buffer for the carnuba finish though if you want to use it.

nightmarejones

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 4, 2012
I completely understand grizzly....I too am in the beginnings of carving.. I have ordered from http://pipemakers.org/ and got great results,along with great customer service.They have pre-drilled "pipe-kits" or really cheap briar blocks [when it's not sold out] along with Everything you may need for your pipe making/restoring

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
Everything you need to know about pipemaking can be found here www.pipemakersforum.com

All of the info is buried in years of posts, so you'll spend lots of time searching.

They get mad if you ask questions that have been answered a million times :D

nightmarejones

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 4, 2012
Yeah Zanthal..I just made the mistake last week of drilling alil to the left for the shank and ruined the one I was working on...BOOO...but it was piece of practice wood not so it's not a complete loss..a drill press would make it much easier

adam12

May 16, 2011
Find a pipe kit and give it a try. Although they are not all that special to those who are more experienced than a beginner, for you it might be the perfect place to start. I have seen people do some pretty impressive stuff with a first-timer pipe kit. It's the best way to get your "feet wet" I would think.
And after 10 years, when you're arriving at the Chicago Pipe Show in a private jet with your entourage and a case of newly-carved pipes priced in the five-digit range, and you're taking orders from Japanese bankers through a broker and you've got a white linen suit and walk around like Don Ciccio, then you can look back at the pipe kit and say "impressive"

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
Making your own pipe is very cool. I highly recommend it. Adam's advice is good -a kit with the briar already drilled can save alot of grief. or jump right in that's what I did. A drill press and drill press vice really helps. Along with a Dremel. Heres a supplier that I used called PIMO:
http://www.pimopipecraft.com/
Have fun and be sure to post pics of your work.

jvandy77

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 1, 2012
Would love to see some pictures of what you come up with!

Good luck, sir!
-Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.