PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tarheel1

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 16, 2014
I dont have very much left of my McC va blends or the select reserve left. Missed out on purchasing last month before the announcement. I am looking for replacements for Dark Star, Blackwoods Flake, Saint James Woods, and Red and Black flake. The english and oriental blends i have others that I enjoy as much.

jravenwood

Can't Leave
Apr 23, 2017
Look to Samuel Gawith flakes, they were McClellands equal in terms of virginias. FVF, the Four Seasons blends, Golden Glow, etc... :puffy:

tarheel1

Oct 16, 2014
I dont think any of those come close to Dark star. Golden Glow was just too light in flavor I have St James flake, and it has been quite some time since I have tried Fvf.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Best to have loved and lost. With McClelland's processes leaving with them, you're really not going to find replacements, just new blends to try.

josephcross

Dec 30, 2015
I really like Rattrays Hal o the Wynd. It’s not McClellands but it’s a very tasty VA blend. I’ll second Gl Pease Filmore and Temple Bar.

jravenwood

Can't Leave
Apr 23, 2017
Best to have loved and lost. With McClelland's processes leaving with them, you're really not going to find replacements, just new blends to try.
This exactly, a person wont ever find a match to any McClelland, they were too good and ver high quality. CE nailed it..

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
I'm late to the table here, but I'll third the motion that there are no replacements for the McClelland blends. Not being elitist or romantic here, there are plenty of very good Virginia flakes out there, but none of them resemble McClellands.

lazar

Can't Leave
May 5, 2015
I would explore Sutliff's offerings, considering that they were one of McC's suppliers.

tarheel1

Oct 16, 2014
"Best to have loved and lost" I quite understand this. I have been at this for quite some time. Been smoking a pipe since late 90s. I have loved many english blends that have gone by the way side such as Bohemian Scandal and a few others. I just should have stocked up when I had the chance. I have been trading and selling off my cellar for a while and not replenishing it.

9mmpuffer

Might Stick Around
Mar 1, 2018
Hal o the wynd is awesome, at least the tins I have from 2009.
You won't find a replacement to McC VAs, they are unique.

Status
Not open for further replies.