PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 20, 2012
My fiancé loves smoking his pipe, but needs a new one, and I would like to buy him one for a groom's gift. However, I do not know the first thing about buying a pipe. Can anyone please tell me of any good pipes I can buy for around $100?
Any help would be much appreciated!

uberam3rica

Lifer
Sep 7, 2011
Capac, Michigan
Savinelli, Peterson, and Stanwell all have good prices. If you look to the left of the site there is a list of sponsors, I'm sure you could find something there.

mountainman

Can't Leave
May 4, 2012
Savinelli makes many great pipes in that range and great smokers to boot. You can order them at any of the site sponsors and most local tobacco shops carry them.

ulrich

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 25, 2012
Toronto
I think a nice Peterson would make an excellent groom's gift! Find out what kind of shapes he likes before you buy though!

uberam3rica

Lifer
Sep 7, 2011
Capac, Michigan
Find out what kind of shapes he likes before you buy though!

That would be a good idea, although I'm sure he will like the pipe simply because it is from you though. I know if my girlfriend got me a pipe I'd be happy regardless of the shape

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
Pipes are kind of a subjective thing, taste-wise. My wife got me a Peterson and I love it. Here's one I'd be proud to own. It's on sale for $91. Add a tin of tobacco and shipping is free, too. ($100 an up is free)
http://pipesandcigars.com/pefepi99rh.html
They have other styles, too for about the same money.

kabong30

Can't Leave
Jun 2, 2012
Welcome and congrats on your pending nuptials! I'm always going to say Peterson, but you'll get a lot of other great feedback as well. I prefer Peterson system pipes because of their ease in cleaning, cool dry smoking and general quality. A less traditional pipe is a Falcon pipe which has interchangeable bowls on an aluminum stem which provides a cool, dry smoke and (you guessed it) ease of cleaning. I'm fairly fastidious about my pipes so the cleaning thing is a big consideration. The other thing about Petersons for me is the Irish angle (although we've had some recent discussion on that recently)
My favorite Petersons:

A system 303 (I just got one of these)

pt19L.jpg

A system 314

Peterson%20System%20Smooth%20Finish%20314%20p%20lip.jpg

Here's a cutaway of how the system works

peterson-system1.jpg

and heres a Falcon.

BentMultipurposeFalconPipeWithRusticDublinBowl.jpg

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
@soontobemrsneedingpipeadvice (what a nick name ;-) )
Looks like you already got some good advice there. Peterson is definitely a good brand for reasonable pricing. Savinelli is definitely another one to go for. Look for Savinelli Tevere series. I have two and they are wonderful. You can find them for mid $70's.
The site sponsor list on the left gives you some good places to shop. There's a review of retailers here on this forum. You'll notice two major ones that stand out and constantly get good reviews, but I'm not biased :nana:
And he's one lucky fellow ! Looks like you're a keeper... congrats on the upcoming wedding. :clap:

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
In my opinion if you spend a few more dollars you can get one of these from one of our sponsors. All of the other suggestions are great but for my money and experience Winslow is real hard to beat for smoking quality.
http://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/winslow/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=101658

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
Smokingpipe.com also has the "Pipe Locator" where you can select your price range and just look through the pipes and pick one out that you like. I'm sure anything you pick he will fall in love with because it came from you.
Good Luck on your shopping!

hiplainsdrifter

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 8, 2012
Ditto Cgrmaster- Buy something handmade at least. Many good new pipes go for 150-200 dollars on Ebay. If you aren't sure on the style I would recommend something classic, like a straight billiard, a canadian, or a 1/2 bent billiard, in a smooth or sandblasted finish. Some brands that I would recommend that would be worth treasuring would be Moretti, Ashton, Dunhill, or the aforementioned Winslow. If you get a mass produced pipe like a Peterson or Savinelli, it will function well but not really be a treasure in my book.

colcolt

Jun 11, 2012
Nording is another made by hand. This one smokes great(top pipe). The Winslow is middle pipe.
_DEF4475.jpg

danno

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 5, 2011
I love "Stanwell" and that would probably be my first choice but, I'm going to throw "Brebbia" into the ring here. I think they are great bang for the buck Pipes.

ohiopuffer

Can't Leave
May 18, 2012
I have several Nording Freehand pipes that are great pipes and not one of them cost over $100.Also I have seen alot of Karl Erik pipes going pretty cheap at Pipes&Cigars.com.I only have one of those but it has been a pretty good pipe aswell.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
She has PMed me and told me that with our help and with that of the soon-to-be lucky dude's friend for guidance, she found the gift pipe!

colcolt

Jun 11, 2012
I guess it still blows me away that young guys could get into pipes. I remember in my teens how I always thought that to be an old man's thing. I'm surprised and yet ecstatic that is not the trend today. It's good to see those in their 20's and 30's smoking and some that want to pick up the pipe- some for the first time. I think that's simply great.

martiniman

Apr 6, 2012
Congratulations.... :clap:
IMHO you cannot beat a Savinelli for value, performance and style in a $50-80 range.
Then you could through in a couple of tins of tobacco, try to remember what his pipe smells like, just tobacco or is there an underlying smell, vanilla, cherry, chocolate?
What ever you get him, tell him how handsome he look with it and he will also fall in love with it.....

Status
Not open for further replies.