PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

costa226

Lurker
Mar 16, 2015
so, on to my 3rd pipe.. i have a meerschaum pipe for my aromatics, and a nice do it all Luciano sitter for most of my tobacco's, but I read that its a good idea to have a latakia tobacco pipe... plus, id like another pipe.
here's what im looking for...
-Ive read that pot style bowls are good for latakia, also something wider/short.

-something black, since i have a brown briar and a white meerschaum already

-my other 2 pipes have simple curved stem with the bowl about an inch or 2 lower then the tip, id like something with maybe a straight stem or on the other extreme, something that sits lower

-something with some character, and maybe kinda 'tough' looking. its my latakia pipe, i want it to represent it!
any pipes or brands come to mind, let me know! Thanks!

costa226

Lurker
Mar 16, 2015
So to sum up. Can have rustic look, black in color, wide bowl, stem that swoops low or a straight stubby type. For deep, slow enjoyment of dark latakia blends.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
From your description I'd recommend 2 shapes. The pot and prince shapes are classics and will provide a wider bowl. I would also include an author shape is your search; something akin to the Savinelli 320. I have all 3 shapes in my herd and I smoke mainly English style blends in them.

The make depends on your budget but I think it's always a good idea to check out the Savinelli line. They never disappoint.

Good luck in your search.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
Stop what you're doing and go buy a savinelli 320 or a rossi 8320. Unless you are predominantly a clencher. In which case you might wish to first rid yourself of that terrible habit (think you your dentist!) and then go buy a x320.
Did I say 320?

freakiefrog

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 26, 2012
Mississippi
I'm going to suggest a 320 as well or if you can find one a nose warmer poker. The other side of that is a Savinelli Oom Paul. There is also the 315ks not a pot shape but still a pretty tough looking finish and shape
pm-psvot-315ks-r.png

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
There are quite a few black pot-shaped pipes on the market, and I'd at least look at four or five before deciding, though Sav's are a good pipe and a safe and popular bet. Parker and Britannia, both at Cup O Joes, offer black pot shapes from time to time. Not black but a good, sturdy and reasonably priced pot is the PTM Amadeus from Greece, available at Iwan Ries. I have never found Latakia to be a ghosting problem, but I assume I am just not sensitive to residual Lat taste. The pot is a universal shape, and you might want to also explore Peterson, Stanwell (P&C has good prices), and other brands.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Take a look at this. I have several Johs pipes and they have proven excellent:
http://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/johs/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=163185

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
And don't forget Peterson's Dracula:

http://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/peterson/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=167038

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Or if you are interested in something made in London:
http://www.cupojoes.com/cgi-bin/spgm?dpt=W&srch=DW&item=brtsb07

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
+1 on Johs. Mogens Johannsen makes pipes with good deep, wide bowls. Great for lat and English blends.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
costa226, if/when you decide on a Latakia pipe, pot or not, and whether it's any of the pipes suggested by Forums members or not, I'd be interested to know what you choose. Good luck.

costa226

Lurker
Mar 16, 2015
Will post back on what i get. I really like the look of the brebbia fat bob pipe. Its like a fat bulldog, shorty looking like the savinelli 320. If it will smoke latakia similarly id be interested. Any other pipes similar in shape to that?
Now looking highly at shorty pipes, like the brebbia fat bob. Im noy closed off to this but the shape i like.
Also, i realise i do not like the sandblasted look on most briars. On the morta i think it looks great, but for long term use briars seem to win.
Thanks so far for the help all!

costa226

Lurker
Mar 16, 2015
Heres what i decided on!
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SM8GuH_ym4k
1 question thou.. is it on the small side? Its .8 inside diam. 1 inch inside chamber depth... hope i diddnt get anything to small. But i already ordered it. Its good lookong thou

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
costa, beautiful pipe! Love bulldogs, and that's an especially nice one. I admit, it's a small bowl, and I visualize that as especially good for Va and Va/Per flake, but it might do well with English blends with Latakia. If not, you can go shopping for a bigger bowl, but I wouldn't worry. One way or another, I think this pipe will be a good one for you. Congratulations.

costa226

Lurker
Mar 16, 2015
thanks mso.. shit i like the look but yea appears small. not sure i want to stick with it. thanks

shanelktown

Lifer
Feb 10, 2015
I honestly have a poker I use for Latakia blends as well as a billiard. I use smaller bowls for my aromatics mainly because for me aros do better for me in smaller bowls. I do a medium or small bowl for VAs and Vaper. Lastly for burley I love burleys in a cob. Just my preference.

Status
Not open for further replies.