PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 6, 2014
Hi, I am new to the forum and was wondering if anyone could give any information on a dunhill pipe i just bought
Kind regards, Gandalf
il_570xN.537981642_tha7.jpg

il_570xN.538073779_hdwg.jpg

il_570xN.538074069_87rl.jpg

il_570xN.537981968_jf2p.jpg

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
The most informative markings are on the side opposite Dunhill Bruyere. The pipe looks reamed out of round, and there is the crack. What exactly are you trying to find out?

andystewart

Lifer
Jan 21, 2014
It's a crying shame to see a Dunhill in that condition. There's a number ending in 12 before the brand and 2 letters F&T? Can you see the rest? What are you going to do with it? Andy

andystewart

Lifer
Jan 21, 2014
It looks like a bruyere apple that had a band. I haven't got a scale to see the size, but have a look at this http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/1975-dunhill-bruyere-apple-pipe-107-143136952

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
As I said before, the markings on the side opposite Dunhill will indicate the age of the pipe. Let's see a picture. Does the stem have the white dot on top?

Feb 6, 2014
Sorry i bought this pipe from an old vintage store in france and haven't received it yet. These are the photos they gave me. I didn't pay too much for it. I was hoping i could smoke it but if not I might buy another

Could i get this pipe restored?

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
Gandalf
Welcome to the forum
Sorry to see that possibly your first pipe purchased turns out to be in this very poor condition. I'm not sure that a cracked bowl like this is reparable, but even if it is, why bother?
Reading the forum will certainly educate you on your next purchase and at least become aware of what to look for in examining a possible purchase.
Good luck

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Well, at least you know enough to appreciate a Dunhill.
The stem doesn't look like it fits all that well. Is it too late to get your money back?

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Welcome to the forums. This pipe has seen the end of its serviceable life. With a double crack like that, it's been well overused, and further use, assuming that it doesn't taste like a tar pit, will only cause further failures. The FT indicates that the stem is a fantail, which means that it flares out toward the bit. Bruyere refers to the finish, which was reddish. The other side has the stampings that will give you a date of manufacture.

Feb 6, 2014
Gandalf
Welcome to the forum
Sorry to see that possibly your first pipe purchased turns out to be in this very poor condition. I'm not sure that a cracked bowl like this is reparable, but even if it is, why bother?
Reading the forum will certainly educate you on your next purchase and at least become aware of what to look for in examining a possible purchase.
Good luck
Thanks allan. I will definitely know better new time
Well, at least you know enough to appreciate a Dunhill.
The stem doesn't look like it fits all that well. Is it too late to get your money back?
Haha yeah. I they have sent the item so i can't get a refund. It will be a nice mantlepiece though.
Welcome to the forums. This pipe has seen the end of its serviceable life. With a double crack like that, it's been well overused, and further use, assuming that it doesn't taste like a tar pit, will only cause further failures. The FT indicates that the stem is a fantail, which means that it flares out toward the bit. Bruyere refers to the finish, which was reddish. The other side has the stampings that will give you a date of manufacture.
Thanks sablebrush52. So thats what the markings mean. Oh well back to pipe shopping i go

Feb 6, 2014
I found this pipe on the internet just now, does this pipe look worth buying.
$_57.JPG

$_57.JPG

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTIwMFgxNjAw/z/qOsAAOxydlFS7qsQ/$_57.JPG
$_57.JPG

$_57.JPG

$_57.JPG

flmason

Lifer
Oct 8, 2012
For good value estate Dunhill pipes check out some offered by site sponsors:
Smokers Haven
MKE Law Pipes
Smoking Pipes
The website links are on a list to the left on the forum homepage.
Also check www.briarblues.com
The pipes you will find on the sites mentioned will be in better condition, cleaned properly and ready to smoke. These sellers will also answer honestly any questions you might have prior to purchasing.
Always remember you get what you pay for most of the time. Avoid buying off Ebay till you have done lots of research.
Doug

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I'll give you a couple of reasons. The bowl shows signs of "burn through" at the base - that's the black discoloration of the finish - and looks to have been patched. That's not a good thing. That's a very bad thing. The bowl was over reamed and the wood has burned through to the outside. It's another dead pipe, or nearly dead.

You're much better off with a pipe that is in good used condition than a burned out Dunhill. The pipe may say Dunhill, but essentially it's kindling.

If you're going to go the estate route, you're looking for a pipe that has as little wear around the bowl and chamber as possible. The wood should not be blackened to the point where it's better suited as charcoal briquette than a smoking implement. The chamber should not have been reamed out of round. But any estate will need to be thoroughly cleaned and disinfected so that you're not smoking moldy essence of spit and tar.

You would do better to buy a new cobb or an inexpensive, but good quality new briar pipe, and learn more about pipes and condition, than buy a used pipe that has been abused beyond the Geneva conventions by a mindless gorilla. Savinelli, Peterson, Stanwell and other makers have good inexpensive pipes.

Feb 6, 2014
For good value estate Dunhill pipes check out some offered by site sponsors:
Smokers Haven
MKE Law Pipes
Smoking Pipes
The website links are on a list to the left on the forum homepage.
Also check http://www.briarblues.com
The pipes you will find on the sites mentioned will be in better condition, cleaned properly and ready to smoke. These sellers will also answer honestly any questions you might have prior to purchasing.
Always remember you get what you pay for most of the time. Avoid buying off Ebay till you have done lots of research.
Doug
Thanks for the sites doug. I will check them out now.
I'll give you a couple of reasons. The bowl shows signs of "burn through" at the base - that's the black discoloration of the finish - and looks to have been patched. That's not a good thing. That's a very bad thing. The bowl was over reamed and the wood has burned through to the outside. It's another dead pipe, or nearly dead.

You're much better off with a pipe that is in good used condition than a burned out Dunhill. The pipe may say Dunhill, but essentially it's kindling.

If you're going to go the estate route, you're looking for a pipe that has as little wear around the bowl and chamber as possible. The wood should not be blackened to the point where it's better suited as charcoal briquette than a smoking implement. The chamber should not have been reamed out of round. But any estate will need to be thoroughly cleaned and disinfected so that you're not smoking moldy essence of spit and tar.

You would do better to buy a new cobb or an inexpensive, but good quality new briar pipe, and learn more about pipes and condition, than buy a used pipe that has been abused beyond the Geneva conventions by a mindless gorilla. Savinelli, Peterson, Stanwell and other makers have good inexpensive pipes.
Oh ok so its another dud. Thanks i will keep that in mind when buying estate pipes. Yeah i was look into peterson and savinelli but i am pretty keen on dunhill because my old pop charlie smoked one back in the day so it's sort of a sentimental thing. I just do not understand why they are so damn expensive though.

latbomber

Part of the Furniture Now
May 10, 2013
This thread is hilarious :mrgreen: As to Gandalfthewhite, I would recommend starting with a cob or other reasonably priced brand first before seeking out a Dunhill. It took me about two years of searching online to get an actually good deal on some nice Dunhill estates. It is easy to get swept up in all of the mystique, but at the end of the day they perform the same function as a $3.00 cob.

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Just curious, Gandalf, have you ever actually smoked a pipe before? That probably came out more confrontational than I intended, but it's not something you just pick up a Dunhill and do. It takes practice and it's not for everyone.
It seems like you just want a Dunhill just to HAVE, not necessarily to SMOKE. If that's the case, mission accomplished. If I'm wrong and you're interested in enjoying a good smoke, you would do well to heed the advice already given.

Status
Not open for further replies.