PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

durham270

(Bailey's Briar)
Jan 30, 2013
Kentucky
I'd like to hear your opinions and ideas for repairing this pipe with a small crack on the shank. I'll do the work myself. I would rather not take the metal band method. Perhaps a stain-able wood filler might repair plus add strength as well. I'd like to take the correct route as this is a high end pipe and want it to look right regardless of the method used in it's repair.
========================================================================================
crack_shank1.jpg

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
I look forward to seeing how you tackle this, Durham.
I would band it, because my biggest concern would be continued expansion especially as the pipe expands and contracts with temperature. I'm sure you could fill with briar dust and epoxy and then stain the shank, I just don't have confidence that the crack will stay sealed without binding of some sort.
-- Pat

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
IMO the metal band is the way to go. Superglue might help, but that provides adhesion, not strength.
:lol: You could always wrap some wire around it and claim it's a new Insanus model from Ser Jacopo.

s_insanusr1.jpg

I can put a sterling silver band on it for much less than you may assume. I make a channel in the briar, so that it will fit flush, size out the band, and set it snug for $35-40.

I almost always get these after the owner has tried several different epoxies or glues, and so far I haven't seen one that can stand up to the natural swelling and contracting that the pipe. If you find a glue, let us know.

Otherwise, feel free to PM me, if you decide to get a band. I can also use gold, brass, or copper. I should also be getting in some more Mokume-gane in soon, which is a metalsmiths version of cumberland.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
A crack once started is hard to stop using just CA or epoxy. The only way that I know of to stop a crack is to drill a tiny hole right at the very end of the crack. You can then fill the hole and crack. It's best to clamp it in a vice etc to close up the crack. Let it set over night in the vice etc.

You can try gluing it without drilling but it is more likely to keep cracking with use. The crack needs to be clean before gluing.

durham270

(Bailey's Briar)
Jan 30, 2013
Kentucky
Everyone is right, a band is the correct way to go. cosmicfolklore I'll think about it, Thanks for the information.
The only way that I know of to stop a crack is to drill a tiny hole right at the very end of the crack. You can then fill the hole and crack.
ejames, that is a good idea for adding strength.
Thanks everyone for your help!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Not being a seasoned pipe repair guy, I'd send it to cosmicfolklore. Sounds like he's gone that route a few times.

lestrout

Lifer
Jan 28, 2010
Chester County, PA
Here's an alternative to providing banding: get someone skilled at making fishing rods, or at least good at putting the guides on the rod blank using rod winding thread. I have a bamboo rod making friend who uses (unwaxed) silk, winds the banding over the crack and then varnishes. The unwaxed silk absorbs the varnish, and the indices of refraction of both materials are about the same, so when it all dries, the silk becomes almost transparent. You can see the stampings, if any, underneath, and even the crack. But the healed crack area is solid.
hp

les

necron99

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 4, 2014
I don't know why ya wanna put a crack in the shank, but I recommend against it.

however if you insist there are many ways to accomplish the deed. Probably the most controllable would be to use a tapered mandrel and push it I to the bit hole until the desired crackage occurs.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I've seen Les' fly-rod repair with thread and varnish. It is quite elegant and not as obtrusive as a band.
If you chose to band, Steve Laug details a lot of band-repairs on his site. Here is one detailing a square or diamond band as you require:

http://rebornpipes.wordpress.com/2013/04/15/shaping-a-round-metal-band-to-fit-a-square-or-diamond-shank/

Status
Not open for further replies.