PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dylanstaton2

Lurker
Mar 1, 2016
So I cut it into cubes and whatnot waiting for it to dry for about a half hour but really can't seem to get it to stay lit. It tastes amazing from what I got from it so far and is going to be one of my favorites. I'm new to smoking pipes and ordered a lot of different blends and I seem to be enjoying VaPer tobaccos and Virginia all together. The aeros I got are OK but I seem to be reaching for dunhil nightcap the most. I was intimated by the flake but decided to try it today. What's your guys technique to keep it lit and have a full enjoyment of your tobacco for flakes

peteguy

Lifer
Jan 19, 2012
Dry it 3x longer than you think it needs.
I open a tin and leave it in the tin with the lid back on for weeks or even a month. I have heard good things about the microwave technique but have failed to try it yet.

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

I would rub it out instead of trying to cube cut it. You've got to get at it a little since the flakes are usually thick, dense, and moist. I use my palms a lot and then the heels of my thumbs to rub it out. Dry it out for a little while (possibly overnight), and then pack loosely, and of course smoke slowly. I would get yourself comfortable with getting a rubbed out flake to burn properly before I start cube cutting and/or stuffing full flakes. You don't want to fight with it for it to give you a good smoke. The flavor is plenty there with FVF even when it's rubbed out. So no worries there... good luck and enjoy.

rhoadsie

Can't Leave
Dec 24, 2013
Virginia, USA
There are a lot of YouTube videos with a flake tobacco packing search.
SPC has this video...
https://www.smokingpipes.com/smokingpipesblog/single.cfm/post/spc-university-how-pack-flake-tobacco

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
I smoke and thouroughly enjoy a good bit more of SG FVF and what works best for me is to take a whole flake or 2 and place them on a plate or something and let them sit out for 24 hours. It's then rubbed out thouroughly and smoked. Their bulk and tinned tobaccos are the dampest of anything I've ever smoked at least anything in flake form. Any ribbon cut bulk is usually about right, tins I like to pop the vaccum, inspect it and if needed I'll put the lid back on and let it sit for a couple days to dry a little. All of the above is totally worth and as they say, the best things in life are worth waiting for.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I just fold up a flake or so in me palm of my hand and roll it into a ball. It turns the flake into an easy smoking ribbon.

jefff

Lifer
May 28, 2015
Chicago
^ That. I find if you rub it out when its still moist you get a ribbon cut. If you wait for it to dry, you get chunks. I rub it out and then let it dry.

derfargin

Lifer
Mar 3, 2014
Kennesaw, GA
FVF is one of the more finicky tobaccos. I've had a mixed bag of experiences with it, but once you get it all lined up the smoke is a very good one. I found cube cutting it first before drying helps speed up the process. Just before crispy is best in my expererince. The pack it a little tighter than you would normally. On the false light really get it going and get a nice even char. Then after a few decent draws on it, put the pipe down for about 15 min.
Come back and give it a very gentle tamp then a small light, not one to make a huge cherry just light the center of the bowl, and then clench it and use the breathe smoke teqnique. Give it a go and see how that works.
As you smoke down, depending on the size bowl, you may get a "tunneling" effect of the spent tobacco. Just gently push down the unburned sides inward and flatten out the contents, then light the center again, repeat till you get to the bottom of the bowl.
I also find it also helps since you cube cut, to run a pipe cleaner down to the bottom of the bowl and keep it there before pushing the contents inward and down to prevent pushing tobacco into the draft hole. Just remove it and fire it back up when done.

cossackjack

Lifer
Oct 31, 2014
Evergreen, Colorado
For almost all flakes, I use either the fold-twist-stuff method or the Z-fold method, with a little crumbled "tinder" on top, though the straw method (stuffing long thin strips of flake, like broom straws) works in highly conical bowls. I rarely rub-out or cube-cut (except for dense, stubborn ropes/twists or plugs)
For very moist flakes, such a those from Samuel Gawith or Gawith & Hogarth, I let them dry for awhile in the pipe, sometimes overnight.
For me, 3 charring lights about 3-4 minutes apart primes the tobacco for the true light, which like @derfargin recommended, ignites a small central cherry, then use the pipe tool pick or tamper to coax the unburned tobacco into the combustion zone as smoking progresses.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
FVF needs a lot of drying time. If the tobacco is fresh out of the tin, give it a couple of hours. You'll get a lot more flavor. I actually give a flake about 3 hours, less if it's cubed or rubbed out. You want the tobacco dry to the touch when pressed between your fingers, but still pliable.

deuce26

Can't Leave
Jan 29, 2014
Slidell, Louisiana
When I cube cute it I generally leave the flakes out for 4 to 6 hours then cube cut. Just leave your cubes out to dry longer. Also, make sure if your dealing with a cube cut you pack the bowl very loose.

kola

Lifer
Apr 1, 2014
Colorado Rockies, Cripple Creek region
I rub FVF out and pack it in a pipe a bit on the loose side. I'll do 2-3 false lights and enjoy those first fresh delicious puffs. I then set the pipe down and let it rest for 12-24 hours. Pick er' up, fire that weed up and enjoy sweet magic.Tamp as needed and remember to sip this blend nice and slow.
I do the same for St James Flake. It's kinda like a short DGT of sorts.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
I guess it depends where you live for drying time, if it's in a humid enviroment you'll have to use a light or the microwave method. Personally I had no problems with this one, I just cube cut it, let it sit a half hour and it's good to go, it takes a few lights to get going.

dylanstaton2

Lurker
Mar 1, 2016
So when I originally did the cube cut I didn't realize how much one ribbon would get me so I ended up cutting up enough for 2 bowls. I waited 30 mins for it to dry and didn't get a good result I had a lot of relightes. So I waited around 2 to 3 hours for the second bowl for the tobacco to dry. Derfargin I did notice I had to pack it quite a bit tighter to get it to stay lit. I packed it like I normally would of for a ribbon cut and then ended up pushing it down with the reamer and got a nice smooth draw. I didn't have to keep relighting as much as the first bowl but it wasn't perfect. I always end the night with some nightcap so I'm smoking a bowl of that in a bit before I turn in but tmr I am going to try the rubbing method. I feel like the cube method will work for me but will take some time to be perfect. I am going to try some of your other methods as well. The reason I got this blend was to learn how to smoke flake tobacco and I have 2 ozs to get it down. I seriously am grateful for all the great advice everyone has been sharing with me

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
I just smoke Dunhill Flake. Like all Dunhills, they ship it the proper moisture level to start with so there's no need for fussing on my part. For what these tobaccos cost there's no excuse to make the smoker work at getting them right to smoke.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
I just smoke Dunhill Flake. Like all Dunhills, they ship it the proper moisture level to start with so there's no need for fussing on my part. Rubbed, folded, stuffed, whatever it doesn't matter, it lights well and smokes cool. For what these tobaccos cost there's no excuse to make the smoker work at getting them right to smoke.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
dylanstaton2, here is what I do to get SG FVF to smoke nice for me.
I will cube a flake into very small cubes. I let it sit out for 1-2 hours depending on moisture content. I then grab my group 4 Dublin or other conical shaped bowl as I have found that works best on FVF, pack the flakes firmly, light it up and enjoy. There are times when I get to the bottom of a tin of SG flakes and they are at the perfect humidity, I will then use a fold and stuff on them.
I have read some pretty different methods on this thread, never knew people did some of this stuff. I personally do not rub out any flakes as for my tastes they burn hot and lose flavor.

I get irritated with people using an opinion as a definitive. It is more true to say that for me, there is no need to dry. But, many, many of us, since I have been on this forum have been drying out our tobaccos.

It must be a taste buds thing, but I taste way more of the simple nuances of the tobacco if I rub it out and dry it to the verge of crunchy. And, even crunchy is better than any moisture, IMO. The steam mutes the flavors, and the dry tobacco produces flavor that I don't have to search for, just barely breathing to keep it wisping, mmmm... deliciousness!
When it has moisture it's harder for me to keep lit, forcing me to puff harder, making the bowl burn hotter, making me burn my tongue. Plus, the steam just gets in the way of all flavor, for me. it may be the opposite for others. Some like the steamy-ness, and they probably love having to relight their tobaccos and never knowing the joys of "buring it down to a fine white ash." :puffy:

Now, that is for me. Stop imposing your opinions as facts! Or, I'll start swinging my mighty hammer. :wink: ha ha!!

Status
Not open for further replies.