PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pipefish

Can't Leave
Aug 25, 2013
I'm headed to Brussels in about a month and would like to know more about Semois pipe tobacco. From what I've read it's very unique, very strong pipe tobacco--nothing seems to really compare. However, I'm not that familiar with the brands or blends. A few google searches bring up Vincint Manil. Kevin did a review of Windels Semois but some contend that this brand is not "real" Semois--here's the link to that discussion:
http://pipesmagazine.com/blog/pipe-tobacco-reviews/windels-grove-semois-coupe-grosse-tobacco-review/#more-6743
I've found one pipe tobacco shop in Brussels with info on Semois with lots of different brands--BC, Vincent Manil, Flandria…here's the link: http://www.leroiducigare.be
Any advice on what brand or blend I should be looking out for?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The only version I know available in the U.S. is Pure Semois Vincent Manil, that comes in a gold foil green

package with a green and white label. It is described on the package as Thick Cut Pipe Tobacco Grown

and Processed in Belgium. It comes extremely dry and smokes well that way. I keep mine in a canning jar

nonetheless, but don't add moisture. People experience this tobacco differently. Although it is strong, I

don't find it overwhelming at all. Nothing like brown rope or SG 1792. A Forums member sent me a

generous sample of it, and when I spoke of how much I liked it on Forums, an experienced pipe man Forums

member sent me nearly a whole package, after really reacting badly to it. So it isn't everyone's "thing." And

this was no new pipe smoker, but a highly experienced one. I find it complex and elegant as a refined blend,

even though it is only one tobacco, a burley variant (I am informed by a Forums member). That's all I know

about it, and I hope you find a package and enjoy it as much as I do. You might want to sample it there, and

if you enjoy it, buy a few extras for the future.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I've had La Brumuese from Vincent Manil and enjoyed it. It's definitely a variant of Burley. It doesn't have your typical nutty Burley flavor by any means. I found it to be a somewhat complex flavor profile that even after a few bowls of I still didn't have all the flavors pinned down. The leaf comes rather on the dry side, so you'll have to pack it a tad tighter and sip on it a bit slower than your normal pace. Doing so I didn't get any tongue bite from it. It has a bit of a nic kick to it, so I'd make sure to not have it on an empty stomach if you're sensitive to nicotine. Semois is one of those tobaccos that I suggest you try regardless of what blending style(s) you prefer.

framitz

Can't Leave
Oct 25, 2013
After the nut article one of my wife's colleagues brought me a lb of Manila. Good stuff very dry. Shel

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Russ from Pipes&Cigars said he's been dying to mix Semois with Perique, but it'd be way too expensive to blend a test batch much less become a regular blend. I do hope there comes a day when he's able to though.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Russ from Pipes&Cigars said he's been dying to mix Semois with Perique
It was quite good ... the Perique that I used is the blending Perique from P&C as well.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
I'd focus on the semois that isn't available here as you can get Vincent Manil's here, I think there are some of the Manil brand types that aren't available here either, but that's just me.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm not oblivious to a good jolt of nicotine, but I haven't found Semois that much of a nic buzz. I've been doing

a lot of the stronger burley blends, so maybe that has upped my tolerance. That doesn't mean I'm going to take

up rope.

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
I really like all the Semois blends. The only other tobacco I can compare it to is CockStrong, which is a long, ribbon cut Burley that burns really fast. All the Semois blends are more crimp/cube cut and burn really fast, too. I enjoy it best in a mid to small size pipe and smoke very slowly to get the best flavor.

pipefish

Can't Leave
Aug 25, 2013
Thanks so much for all of your help and suggestions! I'll definitely be on the lookout for various semois brands and will also try to contact the blenders mentioned above. I'll also give the lowdown on Brussels pipe shops for future travelers in a separate post.

Status
Not open for further replies.