PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

teamhavoc28

Can't Leave
Nov 10, 2010
hey guys, it's one of those annoying newbies again seeking advice. I'm trying to decide on some cobs to order for an upcoming birthday. I like my legend and how it smokes cool but want a larger capacity. I'm torn between ordering a couple diplomats or a diplomat and general. The only reason I'm pensive about the general is the damn weather being so cold this time of year. not sure I can wait till spring to fully break a doug macarthur style jaw breaker. What would you guys opt to do? by the way, i thought pad was a joke when I started reading like a month ago but im going to be up to 4 pipes in 4 weeks. heh.

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
I haven't smoked with many Missouri Meerschaums but a bent stem Country Gentleman is my hands down favourite thus far. They've got a smaller bowl and thinner walls than the General, but I thoroughly enjoy smoking with them all the same. It doesn't hurt that I love their look, either. Ever try one of those? I plan on buying several early in the New Year as dedicated pipes.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
I'm no expert on cobs. As a matter of fact I have only owned two.

One a Churchwarden, the other just a regular cob I've had for over twenty years.

I used to hate it, but I've given it (the regular) a second chance now I smoke it frequently.
As for the weather being a factor in your choice (and I'm assuming it's cold in your neighborhood).

I would opt for the MacArthur... just because of the size and shape being conducive to keeping your hands warm... (I'm serious.)
My Ben Wade is what I like to smoke when the temps get really cold, just to keep my hands warm. It is great in that capacity, large in capacity as well.

oldmaus

Can't Leave
Nov 20, 2010
I have three Country Gentleman with bent stems and love them. They always smoke cool, dry, and the bowl is a nice size.

hilojohnny

Lifer
Oct 2, 2010
I have found diplomats and country gentleman cobs to work equally well.....no experience with the general thus far....I think you can tell now how easy it is to begin on the slippery slide!.... :D

patiobum

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 5, 2009
Baytown,Texas
hey guys, it's one of those annoying newbies again seeking advice.
Ask away, no annoyment here. LOL Research and question, that's how we learn.
I have a few Diplomats, I usually buy them from www.marscigars.com, good price, great service I have a few acrylic stems that I bought from www.walkerbriarworks.com
One day I'll get a MacArthur just to have it.

jimbo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 7, 2010
Cobs are much faster to break in than briars. They smoke cooler and drier too.
The main gripe with the cobs I have are their narrow bowl diameter. I solved that by drilling out the bowls on my "Egg" and "Spool" to be comparable to the diameter of most of my briars. (My "rule of thumb"... I can get my little finger all the way to the bottom.) I haven't had a "Mac" and some M-Ms are too small to enlarge by drilling, but it's a good bet to try. If the bowl breaks, you're not out much $... just get another one.
Also, I have replaced several of the mushy black stems that come on many M-Ms with "Forever" stems from Walker Briar Works. Good quality lucite stems in a wide choice of colors.

jship079

Can't Leave
Oct 17, 2010
I haven't smoked with many Missouri Meerschaums but a bent stem Country Gentleman is my hands down favourite thus far.

I to love the bent country gentleman

teamhavoc28

Can't Leave
Nov 10, 2010
Thanks for all the wonderful suggestions...I like the idea of a country gentleman for a future purchase definitely. but, for now the general and diplomat have caught my eye like a redhead with the right grin. i found the buyer's guide in the search format on the forum already and its definitely like a pamphlet for the cob stupid like myself. at the current prices of 2.87 a pouch for carter hall, PA, or H& H , I can't seem to pinch myself enough. It's enjoyment without any holiday guilt. If you guys get me hooked, on estate pipes save me a seat at the meetings...My name is Paul its been six days since I thought about fufilling my pad/tad etc.

jwp159

Can't Leave
Jan 1, 2010
You can't really go wrong with any of the cobs. They are inexpensive and need no break in. They will impart some of thier own flavor to blend which turns off some folks. They will never replace my briar pipes but have thier own place in the rack beside them.

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
I have never gotten around to smoking a briar yet, but only because I have been enjoying the guilt-free ease of the cob at this stage. As a newcomer sometimes unsure of techniques and best practices, it is a relief to load up a MM and enjoy your smoke without worry. Practical and economical with a simple charm. And if my pipe is forever saturated with the scent of Captain Black, it's easy enough just to get some new ones. With that said I will soon be studying up for my first briar purchase!

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
Delicacy is the key.
Everything aside, it all takes a bit of getting used to. I wouldn't want to have an exceptional briar for my first pipe. I'd rather start out with a number of corn cobs and have no fear of cracking this or scorching that or ghosting the whole works. That's not to say I just consider them to be "training" pipes. They serve their purpose - that's just my opinion! We'll see how that opinion holds up with more experience.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
My opinions on the various aspects of the pipe smoking pastime are forever changing. I'd like to think right word is "evolving". Really, there's not too much you can do to screw-up a pipe -- unless you're wantonly destructive.
I hope you'll soon make the plunge into smoking briars, meers, and maybe even a clay or a gourd calabash! As you doubtlessly know, e-Bay can be a fine source for estate and unused pipes. Using a thoroughly cleaned estate pipe is no more odious than using thoroughly washed silverware in a public restaurant; and you can enjoy the discount pipes without much angst over ruining them by improper smoking.

jimbo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 7, 2010
sparroa, you show a very mature outlook for a "newby"! :D
Only based on my personal experiences, I recommend trying cobs for all newbies to "get the hang" of pipesmoking and tobacco types before exploring briar and the other pipe materials. I shudder at the thought of somebody with no experience trying a basket pipe briar for the first time. It may be his last pipe!
And you may find yourself turning back to cobs regularly. They are good smokers. "Not just for breakfast anymore!"

Status
Not open for further replies.