PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

letsgodowntherabbithole

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 31, 2011
This is one I got at a second hand shop and have no clue what make or model it is. I am thinking about restoring it as I do think it's really very cool. I know that is a big task but it's something to keep me busy on these long winter nights.

whitepipe.jpg
bowl.jpg
apart.jpg

cwlinsj

Lurker
Jan 31, 2011
The "stinger" condenser gives it away immediately without needing to see the cloverleaf logo.
It is a Kaywoodie pipe. Can't help you with age or whether that is an original painted surface.
http://www.pipephil.eu/logos/en/logo-kaywoodie.html

http://pipedia.org/index.php?title=Kaywoodie

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
The vertical crack looks pretty bad... the other crack visible looks like the cake is breaking away from the wall of the pipe.
I suppose you could remove the cake completely, and then sand the bowl down to bare wood and try to use some wood putty or something better suited. (suggestions from the membership would be helpful on the putty thing.) and repaint it. It could be a decent pipe.

I would say it's on the critical list but, it just might survive with some intensive and loving care.

collindow

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 15, 2010
Portland, OR
Kaywoodie. A Kaywoodie white briar, which tend to be pretty nice pipes, from what I've heard. Wow, it's a yacht (aka zulu), which, so far as I can tell, they stopped producing in the late 30s, replacing it with a less curvy shape, Colt.

That huge crack in the bowl...it's just...sad. I'm sure Norwood could patch it up fairly well, though. From what I hear he is pretty much a genius at pipe repair.

Norwood's Pipe Repair

If you don't want to go to the trouble of getting it repaired (or doing it yourself), I'd buy the pipe off of you. I collect the hell out of Kaywoodies.

I should just say this: I'm quite biased in favor of saving Kaywoodies. If you think you can bring it back, do it! If you don't, well, look back just a little ways, my friend.

excav8tor

Can't Leave
Aug 28, 2010
South Devon, England
As a pipe restorer I'd like to say that ''most' pipes are salvageable.

Even with a crack in the bowl the pipe is still smokable (to a point).

To me though, it is the finish.

If you are happy with the finish being the way it is then 'Go For It'.

Any pipe is only as valuable as the price put on it by the owner. In other words, if you think it's worth $1M, then that is what it is worth to you.

Even the tatiest pipes can still be brought back to life. Only you will know when it is time to send it to Valhalla

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
Give it a shot. Kaywoodie white briars are far from my favorite pipes but I hate to see an old soldier given up on.

Status
Not open for further replies.