PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
I shall post a pic tomorrow as the camera battery is low,

I have an Imperial Sangrain pipe stamped on shank with "Made in England" in a circle.

Also the word "Imperial" very faintly, right next to it but on the stem. I'm thinkin its made by Kaywoodie but thats just a stab in the dark. Anybody got any ideas where to start lookin, so far im comin up empty

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
OK got some pics here of that Imperial, can anyone tell me what it is please? I have looked for hours and no luck so far.
Imp1.jpg

Imp2.jpg

Jun 26, 2011
Pacific Northwest USA
Catz, everywhere dhere iz catz...
Anyway, a search for Sangrain at tobaccodocuments.org came up with a couple of different tobacco pricelists. Both contained an ad for the Civic Company. I think this is a tobacconist, not manufacturer but I'm not sure. Both ads list the Imperial pipes. Only one of the lists was dated, July 1965. Here's the ad from 1965:
civic_ad_1965.jpg

And here is the undated advert.
imperialpipe.jpg

The documents these came from can be found here:

http://tobaccodocuments.org/nysa_ti_s1/TI54850474.html?zoom=750&ocr_position=hide_ocr&start_page=31

http://tobaccodocuments.org/nysa_ti_s1/TI54850375.p21-30.html?pattern=sangrain[a-z]*&#p29

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
thats certainly interesting mate, but i still don't know what i got here. I didnt even know one could come up with documents that old, its quite amazing tho. thanks for ur help

Jun 26, 2011
Pacific Northwest USA
but i still don't know what i got here

A pretty cool lookin' bulldog that's been over buffed to some degree and it's not a Kaywoodie! (-:
Lemme see here, the Imperial stamp on your pipe is the same font as is seen in the adverts for the Civic Co.

One of the adverts specifically lists an Imperial Sangrain.

The cover page of the 1921 pricelist claims that they are the "Manufacturers of the World famed "Civic" "Imperial" and other well known brands of pipes"
And the historical notes in the pricelist:
The Civic Company Ltd of London was formed in 1921 out of the Imperial Tobacco Company (Fancy

Goods Department)
Ltd which was located in Fulham Palace Road Hammersmith. The Imperial

Company itself was formed in 1901 in response to an aggressive take over raid in Britain by

American Tobacco and involved the pooling of tobacco retail outlets including closely related items

such as briar pipes. In 1902 Imperial purchased the Salmon & Gluckstein retail empire, which

included a section that finished briar pipes, originally made in France, for sale in Britain.
It is this unit

that became the fancy goods department within Imperial and, ultimately in 1921, the Civic

Company. In 1928 Civic formed a key element in the merger with other producers and retailers that

formed Cadogan Investments which still trades today.

Yeah, no exact dates or names of the folks that applied the stain and polish but a good start all the same I'd say! (-;

Status
Not open for further replies.