Need Help in identifying what this cast iron dog is--matchbox holder?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

garynyc

Lurker
May 8, 2017
Hi all;
Since dad passed in August I am left with a slight mystery over what this antique cast iron Dachshund was for. Its stamped DM CO, 10. It looks like it might have held a matchbox or a striker?
Thanks in advance.
Link to images

lightmybriar

Lifer
Mar 11, 2014
Sorry to hear about your Dad. I hope he had a long and fulfilling life. I can't tell what purpose that dog served but it looks like a very cool item! Hope you figure it out.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
I have no idea what your item is, but it reminds me of a 1930 James Thurber piece from The New Yorker, “The Pet Department”, a parody of an advice column illustrated with pictures of fainting dogs and sleeping birds.
castirondpg.png
Q. No one has been able to tell us what kind of dog we have. I am enclosing a sketch of one of his two positions. He only has two. The other one is the same as this except he faces in the opposite direction.

MRS. EUGENIA BLACK
A. I think that what you have is a cast-iron lawn dog. The expressionless eye and the rigid pose are characteristic of metal lawn animals. And that certainly is a cast-iron ear. You could, however, remove all doubt by means of a simple test with a hammer and a cold chisel, or an acetylene torch. If the animal chips, or melts, my diagnosis is correct.

Sjmiller CPG

(sjmiller)
May 8, 2015
Morgan County, Tennessee
The block on its back leads me to believe it was a shoe/boot scraper. You would put the instep of your shoe on the back edge and pull it back. The edge of the block was scrape it clean. They came in a variety of animals and everything from a putty knife type blade to a block was used as the scraper.
My two cents worth. Of course it might not be worth that.

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
It is a matchstriker. I have one in storage that survived my exes purge. Mine is a retriever. Same box. You can Google it as cast iron dachshund match striker.

bryguysc

Can't Leave
Feb 4, 2015
What size it it?

Could tit be one of a set of ornamental feet that fit into the bottom of something else?

jravenwood

Can't Leave
Apr 23, 2017
Sorry for your loss. I agree with the above, based on the size, its a match striker all the way. My father had one of a horse

Status
Not open for further replies.