PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 10, 2014
I recently purchased a lot of pipes one of which was a wooden carved lions head. The pipe is Russian and I am trying to determine the value and just some history on the maker. The side says java Moscow 2D ( that’s what it translate to) I cannot fully translate the tag so far I have wood lion and root but that’s all I could translate. I have uploaded some photos to my account album any help would be great!
--------------------------

Thanks for being a member and participating.
Thread title fixed.
Please see rule 9 here along with the rest of the forum rules
- Kevin

--------------------------

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
Here's some help to display photos -
20140610_191254-600x337.jpg

20140610_190838-337x600.jpg

20140610_190829-337x600.jpg

stevepmc

Lurker
Jul 23, 2013
Just traded for an estate pipe. It's marked "Willmer", Straight Grain" and "AAA" in 3 lines on one side, and "Made in England" on the other. Has anyone heard of the Willmer brand? If so, what can you tell me about it? Or, where else might I look for such information?
Thanks.

Dr. Steve Glaseman

Pine Mountain Club, CA

vlodko

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 25, 2013
Ukraine
Hello,
I just saw you question, therefore this advice might be too late, pardon.
The pipe nomenclature says "Java (like the Island) Moscow 2D (that's the shape number)".
Also we can read on the label
"Style: The Lion

Wood.

The root of briar

3 rubles 30 kopeks"
"Java Moscow" was the famous and leading tobacco and pipe factory in the former USSR.
This pipe has been produced definitely after 1961 (after the monetary reform).
An official exchange rate was $1 = 0.65 ruble. But that's doesn't mean you could so easily buy the pipe for $2.15. The most of more or less quality products were a deficit and you either should have relations with people in the shop or to be an important person to have access to limited stores.
I did restore one of such Javas. The quality of briar was more or less acceptable but the pipe was heavily painted. Nevertheless it should be a good enough smoker.
Hope this helps.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Consumer products from the Soviet Union were notably deficient. There may be some that impressed people enough

for export, but other than Vodka, I can think of none. And the AK47 design, replicated throughout the world. I still see

almost nothing from the current Russia that has wide appeal. On top of that, people in the USSR spent a third of their

life waiting in line to purchase inferior food, household goods, and clothing. With friends like the Supreme Soviet, who

needed enemies?

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
I read this thread with interest then realized I had something like it buried deep down in my collection. Here's my "Moscow"pipe.
moscowpipe_zps36e3e30b.jpg

It's unsmoked, but I never did anything with it because the tobacco chamber is too small for my liking. This weekend I'll probably give it a cleaning and waxing and drop it back in the box.

vlodko

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 25, 2013
Ukraine
Yes, this is Java Moscow too.
In such a case I'd like to add another one to this topic. It's here already restored but not completely polished yet
IMG_3002_zps3922d60c.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.