PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

grantl74

Lurker
Dec 14, 2017
This is my grandfather's briar pipe and I need help indentifying the maker. I don't knowknow much about it other than it was his and it was bought around 1945-1950. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
https://imgur.com/a/xfctH

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Welcome to the forums. Here's a little help with the pix. Are there any stamps or logos?

1Tzy5vt_d.jpg

joeman

Can't Leave
Mar 6, 2016
South Carolina
Without more information, my first guess is LHS. If no stampings as Cortez has asked...can you unscrew the stem and show us the tenon?

grantl74

Lurker
Dec 14, 2017
Sorry there were more photos, I guess they didn't upload correctly. Here ya go!

https://imgur.com/a/y3Zje

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Once your photos are on a photo hosting site (such as Imgur.com; Photobucket; Postimage; Dropbox, etc.), or on virtually any site, select the full image, then Control-click (Mac) or Right-click (Windows) on the image itself, then choose copy image location. Now paste that URL (the full web address, which should end in .jpg) into the IMG box in the reply window of the thread you're posting to.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I see a model number, but nothing else, so it's going to be difficult to offer up any info. Might be a Wally Frank, but could be any number of other makers who use a red dot. It's interesting that a dot was placed on both the shank and the stem to show alignment.

joeman

Can't Leave
Mar 6, 2016
South Carolina
I didn't even notice the dot on the shank. LHS did that...
Yes, they sure did...on the Sculptured Purex...which is what it looked like to me. The dots further confirm it...and to me...the final piece of evidence is the tenon...the DNA on this one all points to LHS.
jjwikn.jpg

Congrats...Gramps had good taste. Many guys here know already...but Dave G has the most remarkable LHS collection that I've seen.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Where did Gramps live, and where did he travel around the time he might have acquired the pipe? Near a city, or travel to a city? Pipe sourcing was more predictable then, to some degree, without the internet. Likely he bought it over the counter, or possibly from a catalog or ad in a publication. Do you think this was his only pipe? All of this might suggest LHS or not, but it would provide more clues, maybe.

Mar 30, 2014
wv
The rustication indicates it’s a Sculptured model line. Sculptured models received a different rustic pattern than all other models. The two dot accents were used on the older Purex models. It’s unusual to see this combination together.

grantl74

Lurker
Dec 14, 2017
Thank you everyone for your help. I plan on restoring it first and foremost, even tho it really doesn't need much work. And then keep it in the family and pass it down. Don't think I'll be smoking it very much, only a celebratory occasions!

joeman

Can't Leave
Mar 6, 2016
South Carolina
My father, as well as my grandfather (on mom's side) smoked pipes. Wish I had even ONE pipe from either of them. I'm glad for you!

Status
Not open for further replies.