Need help identifying and understanding oriental tobacco.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

36 Fresh Ropp Pipes
120 Fresh Peterson Pipes
12 Fresh Ser Jacopo Pipes
New Cigars
12 Fresh Mark Tinsky Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hakchuma

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 13, 2014
Michigan, USA
I can't seem to understand oriental tobacco. Some claim it as a floral scent others describe it as smokey. Unless I am able to smoke a pure oriental blend with no other additives I don't think I will ever understand it. Take Mississippi River for example. It's supposed to have oriental leaf in it but for the life of me I have no idea where it is in terms of flavor or aroma. If a label were to not describe it as being part of the blend I don't think I would ever know it was in there. Can anyone help explain? Is there a blend that is pure oriental so that I may be able to finally understand what to expect from an oriental blend?

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Good question. Different Orientals have very different flavors, but all of them have a distinct aroma/taste. Oriental flavors range from floral, to incense (like in church), to sour/tangy, to green olive.
Daughters and Ryan makes a pure oriental blend called Ramback, but it's a mixture of different orientals. You could also buy an ounce of blended orientals from Cornell and Diehl or one of the other blenders. The only one you can usually find on its own is Izmir, which has a bright, zingy, floral taste and aroma.

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
It is pretty difficult to find straight oriental tobaccos. So if you are looking to try and identify them in blends, buy some straight Virginias, burley's and other more readily available tobaccos and really study them. From there you might be able to pull out the flavor of the Orientals through process of elimination.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
A blend like Mississippi River is fairly Virginia forward and contains Perique as well.

So, the Oriental in a blend like that will not really shine through.

Look to some of the Balkan blends for a more prominent lemony flavor.

Also, check out McClelland's Grand Orientals line for a good variety.

sallow

Lifer
Jun 30, 2013
I suggest Presbyterian Mixture. I believe it is a blend of only orientals. Which ones, I couldn't tell you.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
In "Ask G.L. Pease", Volume 37, Greg explains that most Oriental strains are blended, and simply labeled "Turkish", despite which country they come from. The best we can hope for, outside of McClelland's Grand Oriental Series, is to find a blend we enjoy -- without worrying about being able to isolate the taste of a particular variety.

lochinvar

Lifer
Oct 22, 2013
Check the Grand Orientals line they are all good examples of the varietals (except Highlander, it has latakia, great blend though, but the latakia will overpower). Oriental taste runs the gamut from floral, to citrusy, to cigarlike, to curry, to musty funkadelic. Mated with Virginia is really the best way to taste Orientals. Alone they are thin, burn hot and you won't get the same taste as when it has a base to work off of, its like lemon with no tea, they are just better together.
There are other blends where you get a good Oriental note even with some latakia. Try Presbyterian, MCConnell Oriental, Dunhill Durbar, Peretti Royal, H&H White Knight, C&D Rajah's Court, McClelland Matured Virginia No. 24., Rattray Red Rapparee.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
McClelland's Yenidje Highlander is a wonderful example, as well as G.L.Pease's Cairo.

jitterbugdude

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 25, 2014
It seems that over the years the variety of Turkish tobacco has dried up. You can still buy pure Izmir from most of the major E-tobacco stores. Izmir is rather bland though when it comes to Turkish. Whole Leaf Tobacco usually has Prilep in stock. It too is not that flavorful. Your only alternative to trying really tasty, pure Turkish is to grow your own. There are plenty of varieties available.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Forgot about "musty." That's another common attribute of Orientals.
Also, Hearth and Home's Magnum Opus is loaded with Orientals, including (I think) Yenidje. It has Latakia in it (technically an Oriental), but the other Orientals are the main players -- lots of fragrant, bright incense-like flavors and aromas.

andystewart

Lifer
Jan 21, 2014
http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/search?BlendType=Oriental - have a look here.
Definitely +1 Cairo and McC CPCC Samovar. Also McC Bombay Court just cos it's so tasty!
Andy

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
I will add to the chorus of recommendations of the Grand Oriental line by McClelland for getting the flavor nuances of a particular type of Oriental tobacco.
I also want to join in the recommendations of GL Pease Cairo.
I think anytime you see the word "floral" associated with Orientals, keep in mind that it's completely different from the rose/geranium floral of Lakeland tobaccos. I think Orientals are better described as having herbal notes rather than floral.

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
Krizzose, I appreciate the distinction you make between floral notes and herbal. I was beginning to wonder if I really wanted to get into another line of Lakeland like floral smokes. I'll put an orient sampler on my TAD list.

mirain

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 5, 2011
McClelland's 2045 and 2040 are oriental forward blends that are sold in bulk. Two of my favorites.

Status
Not open for further replies.