Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Also, Dunhill London Mixture, Dunhill Early Morning Pipe, Dunhill 965, John Cotton's #1 & 2, H&H Black House, and H&H WhiteKnight.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Jim, aren't Black House and WhiteKnight Balkan blends?

Balkan is pretty much a term made up to describe a type of english blend. The winner of the best english blend at the chicago bowl in I think 2014 was Arango Balkan Supreme, which is my recommendation of a great english blend. And it's cheap.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
I would assume it's a different blend, I've never had PS Balkan Supreme but I don't know why Arango would be releasing their only blend called Balkan Supreme under the Arango name if it was the same blend as PS. There is also a wessex balkan supreme.

kiel

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 27, 2016
My current favorite is Samuel Gawith Balkan Flake.
+1 on the White Knight

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
For a traditional "English" blend, as it is defined in the US, I would recommend Dunhill Standard. It's more latakia forward than London, and pretty much sets the "standard" for that sort of blend. Dunhill MM 1938/MM Baby's Bottom (what it says on my tins) and Peterson Old Dublin are also personal faves. The Dunhill is a bit more Oriental forward, and the Peterson has a bit of unsweetened cavendish.

Moving further afield, White Knight and Balkan Sasieni are both excellent blends that have come close to the legendary Balkan Sobranie OSM of the early 1970s, when I discovered it.

I've never had much success in finding a "cross-over" English that works for me over the long haul, but SG Navy Flake is one that does.

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
Balkan is pretty much a term made up to describe a type of english blend. The winner of the best english blend at the chicago bowl in I think 2014 was Arango Balkan Supreme, which is my recommendation of a great english blend. And it's cheap.
Oh, thanks for the info. Need to read more and more.

oldreddog

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 4, 2014
J you need to put down the tin opener and leave that can of worms well enough alone.

:rofl:

I'd add the much underrated Balkan Delight to muddy the water a little.

texmexpipe

Oct 20, 2014
I'm a fan of jumping in the deep end! My first English was Dunhill Night Cap, followed quickly by C&D Pirate Kake. I think when you go big it's easier to pick out the players in a blend.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
I'd have to go with my favorites which most tend to include some orientals:

Frog Morton Cellar

Yenidje Highlander (not a lot of latakia in here)

Magnum Opus

White Knight

Blackhouse

3 Oaks Syrian

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
The title asks for great and the body of the OP asks about a beginner blend but, if you are in the U.S. I would look to GLPease and McClelland.
McClelland Oriental #8 is an oft forgotten blend. A very good representation of this genre.
GLP Sammarra is another.
For great, ( I favor Latakia as a condiment) McClelland's blend by Dr. Fred Hanna Legends.
Sam Gawith's Skiff and Squadron Leader punch my ticket too.As does Nat Sherman 536, an English with a little Burley...good stuff.
Mike S.

wilson

Apr 17, 2013
Many excellent suggestions so far. I'd also recommend Nat Sherman's 536.

Status
Not open for further replies.