PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

silentsniper

Lurker
Oct 13, 2016
Hi all,
I apologize if I'm beating a dead horse with this post... But i need to find a replacement stem and can't figure out what stem my pipe will take. What makes it even harder is the websites that sell stems don't exactly give a tenon diameter measurement... I also do not have a machine lathe to make one from scratch.
Heres a pic of the pipe
1020162141.jpg

The diameter around the rim measures approx. 9/16", and tapers down to 1/2" near the base.
If I can find a premolded stem and just file it down, that would be great too.
Thanks in advance for any help.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Contact forum member George Dibos, or Mike Meyers at Walker Briar repair. They'll fix you up!

jeepnewbie

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 12, 2013
Byron
www.facebook.com
Stems are usually shaped down to fit the shank. The sites you are referring to sell per molded stems most likely. They have to be finished (tenon sized, mold lines removed, sanded, polished).

silentsniper

Lurker
Oct 13, 2016
Right... So if I can find a stem with a tenon big enough i would be able to sand it down etc.
Problem is, when i go to buy a premolded stem, they measure the diameter of the saddle, and technically my saddle size matches my tenon size.

silentsniper

Lurker
Oct 13, 2016
And most stems I saw, such as a round saddle, it would be the correct 9/16" saddle but the tenon would be waaaay smaller.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
It certainly looks to be a tapered military mount stem you require judging by the pipe. Therefore I presume a Peterson stem should fit though you might have to alter the taper slightly for a snug fit.
Regards,
Jay.

Status
Not open for further replies.