PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I just got this tin of SG1792 from a friend in Arizona. its a few years old and was unopened when I got it. I just popped the lid and noticed a brownis/grey powder on the flakes. Aging effect from being in Arizona or mold? I've smoked many tins of 1792 but have never encountered this. Advice will be appreciated.

sixmp

Can't Leave
Jan 19, 2012
WOW that looks like it has been to see Tony Montana haha

looks kinda mouldy to me.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Yes, it was airtight. I've seen mold on tobacco before and this looks different but I'm not an expert on what, or how many, types there may be. I really want a bowl but being cautious.

sixmp

Can't Leave
Jan 19, 2012
Is it raised off the surface?... Mold grows away from the surface iirc.

sixmp

Can't Leave
Jan 19, 2012
I found this snippit
It is pretty easy to tell the difference between mold and bloom once you know what you're looking for: bloom is always white or light grey, should rub off very easily, leave no stain, have crystals, and should have no odor. Mold, on the other hand, can be different colors, including yellow, will not contain crystals, will often be hairy, and will probably smell.
Looks like congrats are in order :D

garyovich

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 22, 2012
If you rub your finger across the surface does the "powder" rub off or stay put?

garyovich

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 22, 2012
I got a new 1792 tin not long ago that had similar growth on it though nowhere near as developed as your picture. Smoked fine.

martiniman

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 6, 2012
OK, I'm going to load a bowl and see what happens. If things turn bad I'll ask my wife to send an update and info on funeral arrangements.
Can I have your pipes?..... :lol:

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
That is bloom. It appears on aged tobacco. I recently bought a few pounds of SG St James Flake and FVF that had bloom all over it. I was shocked because of the high demand on both those blends and never thought I would get aged stuff. It must have been sitting for a long time at this tobacconists shop. He has little on line presence and is old school b/m. You should be very happy with the results of your first bowl.

Status
Not open for further replies.