PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

05venturer

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Amery,WI
Hoping someone can give me some help dating this tobacco.

My friend gave me 2 tins of Erinmore Mixture that he picked up in Europe years back. They are still sealed and I am planning to cellar them but am curious as to how old they are right now.

2013-04-25121548_zpsb3e5aa5d.jpg

2013-04-25121600_zps519477da.jpg

I had received a opened tin of this awhile back and didn't really care for it too much. It was just OK, I hope that cellaring these for a bit will give them some time to age and me some time for my tastes to possibly change.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Can't give you the answer, but it was produced by Murray Sons until 2005, and Orlik/STG thereafter.

Knowing when the EU mandated the warning labels might be another clue -- albeit less reliable.
ps. Erinmore Mixture is not generally held in high esteem, so your tastes are not far off from the norm.

05venturer

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Amery,WI
I was thinking 2007 but none of the info I find online so far supports that.

Also the tins say Murray and Sons and if they stopped in 2005 that shoots that to heck.

chopz

Can't Leave
Oct 14, 2011
i wouldn't think it would be that old. those huge warning labels were started in 2001, i think.

May 31, 2012
Also the tins say Murray and Sons and if they stopped in 2005 that shoots that to heck.
Roth got it right.
Orlik is only the licensee of the trademark, by law they must have the Murray's name on it.
That's why 3 Nuns until this very day have " Bell's " written on them even though Stephen Mitchell bought out J&F Bell in 1904 and later merged with Imperial in 1957 and now is also made by Orlik, or I should say made by STG at the old Orlik factory in Assens Denmark.
http://www.st-group.com/index.php/pipe-tobacco/complete-brand-list
Tins made by Murray's will say "made in Northern Ireland" and look different,

http://pipesmagazine.com/erinmore-mixture-100grm-pipe-tobacco/
Still though, 2007 is a good guess, but those numbers might not mean anything, like the numbers on Esoterica tins don't make sense...anyway, it's got a bit of age on it, 5 or 6 years, it's probably good to go if you like the stuff!
Here's something that shows both old & new, age tends to darken tobacco,

the EM is down toward the bottom of the page

Vintage Tobacco

Status
Not open for further replies.