PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Well, here's a pipe dream. What is needed are one, or better yet several, pipe smokers in their early or

mid-thirties to take up an ongoing interest in pipe history and archiving of documents. I'm sure there

are a number of such folks already at work, but I hope there are enough younger people to provide a

generational shift. As people retire from pipe making firms, or from artisanal pipe carving, or tobacco

blending, the institutional memory begins to fade. This is not something that is going to be subsidized

by anyone. The industry is too small. So it has to be a heart-felt interest. Pipedia is one such archive of

information, as is pipesmagazine.com. Best if individuals and organizations work together to take the

load off individuals. Space is needed for storing and preserving. Online activity is a great help, but it

may also give the impression that "someone has this," whereas sometimes no one does. I'm not in my

thirties, and my life is already full of activities and shear "stuff," so I'm not a candidate here. But just to

raise the possibility.

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
Well, I am 30 years old and enjoy researching pipes and tobacco. I have been collecting out of print books, and modern ones, on tobacco for the past couple of years, and thoroughly enjoy reading and learning from them. I don't know if I would be very good at archiving and logging new information, but I absolutely love learning about the history, theory, tips and tricks of pipe smoking and other forms of tobacco use!
If nothing else, the knowledge will live on with me, and other young pipe enthusiast's!

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
mso489:
I like your idea; however, it occurs to be that we have one such individual, mrlowercase, in our very midst, although I do not know his age, nor if he archives all of the delightful historical information which he presents in this precinct. Perhaps a joint venture between him and Kevin might result in the addition of a historical archive section on pipesmagazine.com?
Another such source is Chris Keene and his Pipe Pages (www.pipepages.com) or alternatively (www.chriskeene.com). So far as I know, Mr. Keene's is strictly a labor of love, and it is still being expanded. If you have not already done so, then I urge you to visit there, as it is a wonderful investment of time.
Are there others of which I am unaware? If so, then I hope that the Forum members will mention them here, for in order to possibly get them together we must first know who they are.

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
There's a lot of information out there. A person just has to be will to pay for it and that's always hard part. My tobacciana library/paper collection is pretty good and it's ever expanding, I got a flyer in the mail today for Ben's Rapaport's new book that I will pick up in Chicago. I admire anyone who is willing to gather information or just put thoughts to paper. 8O

Status
Not open for further replies.