PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

titus

Might Stick Around
Nov 18, 2013
Canada
All,
I still consider myself as a fairly new pipe smoker. I can fill the bowl using the three step method, light and keep my pipe going fairly consistently. I'm certainly enjoying the tobaccos I have and am ever eager to try new blends, however, I feel like I have stalled somewhat and need advice.
I have never completely finished a bowl, and feel like I'm likely missing out on what is the best of the smoke, as well, I'm wasting some tobacco. Here is my typical smoke.
-Quick char and then tamp

-Second light with voluminous white smoke. I love this part as it always reminds me of my Grandad sitting in his armchair when I was a kid. He would disappear in a white cloud, only to reappear moments later, always with a thoughtful grin on his face.

-Everything is going great, I'm usually 10 minutes in and about two thirds through the bowel when everything slows down. The pipe stays lit, I can draw on the pipe, I'm making smoke and the bowel is hot to touch so I have a good fire going but its lost its magic. It feels like I'm forcing it, it's sluggish.
I appreciate there are so many variables, and I certainly haven't described them all, however, I have a number of different pipes and the type of tobacco does not seem to matter.
Does anyone have any general advice? Has anyone had this issue? I suspect its a packing issue, it must be, but I'm honestly not sure.
Thanks in advance. Rather ask for advice and enjoy the whole bowl rather than struggle on.

troutface

Lifer
Oct 26, 2012
Colorado
You're 10 minutes into the smoke and you're two thirds through the bowl ??? That doesn't sound right. Are you packing very lightly and tamping a lot to get through two thirds in only ten minutes ???

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
I'm usually 10 minutes in and about two thirds through the bowl
This caught my eye titus. At only 10 minutes in you should only be about 1/4 thru the bowl

unless it is a very tiny bowl. Slow down your cadence and tamp lightly when you feel the ember

is no longer in contact with the tobacco underneath it. A medium sized bowl will last 30-45 minutes

easily and needing to relight because it goes out is perfectly OK. In fact, I would recommend smoking so

slowly that you let the pipe go out on purpose and then build cadence from there.

It takes a fair amount of practice so don't get discouraged. Also, try a few new packing methods and see if

one treats you better than the others: http://pipesmagazine.com/python/pipe-smoking/tobacco-pipe-packing-methods/

Good luck! :)

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
1. Smoking is not a race.

2. Finishing the bowl doesn't mean diddly squat.

3. Unless you're packing very very loose, 2/3 of a bowl gone in 10 minutes indicates that either you smoke teeny tiny bowls, or you're puffing like a chimney.
If your bowl is getting hot, you're smoking too fast. If you're puffing away rather than sipping long and slow, you're going to miss most of the flavor.
Generally, tobacco is packed so that it is firm, with a little spring left to it.

bulldogbriar89

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 3, 2014
sablle are you trying to make a diddle joke???? :lol: I light my pipe once and my smoke lasts 30 to 40 minutes try filling half light pack then full and give it a harder pack. thats what I do

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Sip really gently. Slow down your cadence. Smoke while you're reading or doing something else,

so you aren't focused totally on the pipe. Pause when the smoke is in your mouth -- don't inhale --

really taste it. You're smoking a little fast. Take it easier.

titus

Might Stick Around
Nov 18, 2013
Canada
All,
Many thanks for your reply's and advice.
I need to slow down, agreed. I'm going to take a book out with me and let that be the focus next time I light my pipe.
Thanks again!
Titus

titus

Might Stick Around
Nov 18, 2013
Canada
Gents, working hard at slowing down and its for sure increasing my pipe smoking experience, thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.