PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hoppes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 15, 2017
Pipes in my collection that I would like to sell: Most are older pipes before mergers and acquisitions. Which ones would members be more interested in buying ?

Barling's and BBS

Ben Wade (All Leeds or prewar)

Bertram

Bessai

Bewlay

Comoy's

Dunhill

GBD

Millville

Miscellaneous

Orlik

Wilke

Any thoughts or suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks, Hoppes

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Hoppes:
You wrote, "Which ones would members be more interested in buying?"
I'm an older member of the member of the forum and consequently, truly admire the classic pipe shapes. Some 125 pipes later, the first burner I ever purchased in 1975 - an expensive to me at the time, but still a low side, middle class GBD Ebony 135 billiard - is still in my weekly rotation.
It appears you've got some truly classic pipes, Hoppes. So to answer your specific question, I'd be interested in buying vintage GBDs, Comoy's and Barling's. I've never owned an Orlik, but I'd like to. And Bertram's? What red blooded, USA pipe smoker, with any respect for USA pipe history whatsoever, wouldn't want to own a Bertram's?
"My name is Bertram. I build pipes. I will sell pipes to anybody. Here is a pipe for you, Mr. Joeseph Stalin. Here is a pipe for you, Mr. Edward G,. Robinson, here is a pipe for you General Douglas MacArthur and here is a pipe for you, Mr. Red Skelton."
"I'm also arrogant enough in our skills to post our pricing on every pipe. If you see a 20 on the stummel that was a two buck pipe forty plus years ago. 40, 50, 60, etc."
Cheers,
Fnord

headhunter

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 12, 2013
I 2nd Pipestud. He has sold many pipes for me and I have always been satisfied with what he was able to get for my pipes, some prices he got were much more than I thought I would get. When I cross the Rainbow Bridge my family has instructions to send my pipes to him.

dukdalf

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 24, 2011
A few years ago I sold off most of my collection, about sixty pieces. All high-grade and unsmoked pipes, ranging from the classic Dunhills and Upshalls to Danish and Italian. I couldn't be bothered with the hassle that's called ebay, so I shipped the lot to Mike Glukler at Briarblues. I was very impressed with his friendly service and the prices he managed to get for my pipes.

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
Hoppes,
Are you downsizing your collection, or quitting the hobby? If the latter you will be sorely missed.
As for the recommendations given above, I agree: Steve Fallon and Mike Glukler are great guys. I'd certainly add Marty Pulvers. If it makes a difference to you I'll note that Steve often runs pipes through eBay, while Mike and Marty typically sell on their site.
Jon

chilly65

Might Stick Around
Nov 13, 2018
I would be interested in GBD, Wilke, and Dunhill.
I believe you would get the most for your pipes by selling them yourself.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I've used smokingpipes.com in the past, but only with mid-grade pipes and to get a discount on something I wanted from SP. I think for more focused sales and a better return, pipestud is your man. By the time you have invested time and effort on ebay, you will have more than spent any commission you'd pay. Forums sales are unpredictable, in my opinion. I've seen some pipes snapped up, and others just as nice and priced well, languish. It's a relatively small audience, so you just have to hit someone's sweet spot, or not. sparrowhawk had a nifty Nording FS for $45, and so far as I could tell it didn't sell, with newbies wondering at the same time where to buy a good pipe for a good price. So, there's no telling.

hoppes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 15, 2017
Thanks everyone for the advice and suggestions.

jguss: I don't think I'll be able to leave the hobby. I like working on the old, decrepit pipes. Gives me something to do in the Winter!. However I don't smoke much anymore because of time, place and some medical issues. I have collected about 60 pipes that just sit around and aren't enjoyed by anyone. I'd like to pare down to 3-4 top notch smokers. I also enjoy this forum too much.

FYI: BriarBlues is not accepting any pipe for sale worth under $200.00.
Thank, Hoppes

Status
Not open for further replies.