PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

quincy

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 7, 2013
Wow! I moved halfway across the country in a whirlwind. Life has been turned completely upside down and is now finally starting to settle. I really hope I don't have to do that again with 4 kids! Sorry I haven't been on in so long... I dropped the ball on a few things and am picking up the pieces. It's been a rough few months. I've buried about 20 congregation members. Many of whom I was really close with. But that isn't really what this post is about.
My birthday is coming up and after the year I've had, I've decided that I've earned a Dunhill. Never had one, always wanted one. My budget (like most of us) is limited especially after a move. I'm thinking $200 would be topping out. I've thought about selling/trading a really nice Radice that I barely use for one if I could find someone willing. My questions stem from the fact that I don't really know what to look for in a Dunhill Estate and what to avoid. I don't even know if my price range is realistic for one. So, I'm turning to you fine folks for your knowledge, wisdom, and insight... Any help or any place you could tell me to look would be really helpful.

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
Well, I think some of the things you should think about are size, shape, and finish (smooth or sandblast). The other thing is condition, condition, condition. There are certainly a lot of estate Dunhill's out there, so take your time. Take a look at ebay listings, and check out some well known online vendors (BriarBlues, RebornBriar, Smokingpipes, Mkelaw, etc) I think for your budget, finding a nice Dunhill is not out of the question, even if you find something that needs to be professionally cleaned and restored.
Dave

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
+ 1 with Dave.
What you look for in an estate Dunhill is what you look for in any estate. Find a shape and finish that you like and make sure that the condition is as good as you can afford. A worn out Dunhill is just as sour as a worn out anything else.

quincy

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 7, 2013
I like the Shell and their Sandblasts. I think because of my price-point I'm not going to be too picky. I'm thinking a billiard. My birth year is 1980 which would be cool, but again, not a deal breaker in any way. I'd love to see what you have sam!

Aug 14, 2012
I do not believe that Dunhills got any worse after 1969. I had one I bought new in the 1950s and now have many 21st century Dunhills. I do not detect any difference. The black shell is their worst tasting finish, the brown shell (Cumberland) a close second. All the others are good.

Ebay is a good source. Look for a buyer with lots of positive and no negative feedback.

Status
Not open for further replies.