PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ect0plasme

Lurker
Sep 7, 2014
Hi guys,
so I've been smoking for a year now and so far, my favourite blends are Dan Tobacco Blue Note and Mclellan scottish Blend. I also liked Ashton's Rainy Day. I didn't like Frog Morton On the Bayou for some reason. I also bought a 50g of Sutliff Molto Dolce and it felt like smoking air. I keep some just because the Lady likes the smell, so once in a while I'll smoke a bowl :)
Since I'm about to order my first Churchwarden (an Auenland none the less), I was wondering if you had any suggestion for me? I've only tried aromatics so far but it seems to me that I like tobacco with a certain sweetness to it !

homewaters

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 16, 2014
I would venture in the world of virginias. Orlik Golden Sliced is my go-to summer blend. The flavor profile is sweet hay with hints of citrus. If you like something a little heavier and round, I would recommend one of those (they are very similar tobaccos):

- Dunhill De Luxe Navy Rolls

- Escudo Navy De Luxe

- Davidoff Flake Medallions

- Peter Stokkebye Luxury Bulls Eye Flake (bulk)

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
homewaters made very fine recommendations, however, since you seem to like a bit of sweetness in your blends I'd also suggest giving Stokkebye's Luxury Twist Flake a try.

I only some 2 aros with any frequency but when I want something different I can't recommend Rattray's Bagpiper's Dream highly enough. Very high quality blend made up of several cuts with a cognac topping. Absolutely delightful.

Good luck and enjoy.

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
So Lane Limited 1Q is sort of the perennial best selling aromatic, you almost have to give that a try. For something different, CAO Eileen's Dream is a enjoyable aromatic.
I'd second giving the Virginia world a try. If you like sweetness...McClelland Virginias such as Blackwoods flake or Christmas Cheer are very naturally sweet when smoke slow and easy.
Another blend I think has a lot of sweetness on its own...to me it can taste like a lemon drop candy....is MacBaren Roll Cake. That one is not widely talked about but its pretty affordable and just seems to have that lemon/orange candy taste on the front of the tongue.
Now, I love Escudo, and that can have a gentle plum-like sweetness, but also a peppery note from the Perique. Something a bit milder would Hearth & Home Anniversary Kake- that has a gentle spice more like baking spices and a good natural Virginia flavor. And its under $20 for 1/2 a pound!

stephenw

Might Stick Around
Nov 14, 2014
WV
I have smoked many pounds of Blue Note in my time and I keep some around just for old times sake. I find that the most satisfying tobaccos for me are McClellands 2010 or 2015. I also love the Luxury Navy Flake and Escudo which has been mentioned earlier. One tobacco that is not mentioned much is Tilbury. It is just a very clean tasting tobacco that smokes very well.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I 2nd the nomination for Luxury Twist Flake. Look for other Danish Flakes as well as blends that contain Cavendish (which I think is what you're liking about MB Scottish). One that comes to mind is 4th Generation 1931 -- and not surprisingly, it's similar to LTF.

cpjeffrey11

Might Stick Around
Feb 24, 2015
+1 Orlik golden sliced. It truly is a perfect summer smoke, and an excellent place to start non-aros.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I just started truly branching out from aromatics this year and I have to agree Orlik's Golden Sliced and Peter Stokkebye's Luxury Bullseye Flake are the best route. If you enjoy the Luxury Bullseye Flake then I'd suggest getting a tin of Dunhill's De Luxe Navy Rolls or Escudo Navy De Luxe.
If you still want some aros to please the lady check out Lane Limited's 1Q and Dan Tobacco's Devil's Holiday. Very tasty blends that are crowd pleasers.

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
I would begin a deliberate exploration of the various styles of blends. Pick two or three English blends; several Virginians, Virginia Periques; Virginia with burley; some Balkans and orientals; maybe a Lakeland or two.
If you settle for one blend too early in the game, you don't know what you're missing. I want recommend specifics because there are dozens of great blends in each family.
I can tell you some of my favorites are Quiet Nights and Magnum Opus (English); Classic Burley Kake (Burley/aromatic); Escudo (VaPer); Old Dark Fired (Virginia/burley); Ennerdale (Lakeland); Balkan Sasieini (Balkan/Oriental)
But I have other favorites in each category. These are just the first to come to mind.
Pax

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
It's really difficult to guess what someone else will enjoy. You just have to sample around. Read reviews and read a lot of the blend descriptions and then make your best bet with very small (one or two ounce) quantities, and see what you like. Pipe shows usually offer samples, and you could spend most of a day gently working your way through a series of samples, but keep it focused so you don't smoke a series of blends you don't like. Find some categories you like such as English blends, Balkan, Virginias, Va/Per, burley non-aromatics, etc., then follow what you like. Just to illustrate, some people can't taste much in burley tobaccos at all; others are repelled; and some people really enjoy them. Likewise with Latakia, although most can taste it, whether it is appealing to them or not. It's an enjoyable journey.

timpiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 31, 2013
Australia
I prefer lanes RLP-6 or LL7 over 1Q
Two aromatics with more body a nice aroma are Petersons Sunset breeze and Macbarens original choice.
Also Macbaren 7 seas black is a new favourite black Cavendish blend made with Virginia rather than burley.
For Virginia with a bit of perique, I find Marlin Flake and Astley's No. 2 Mixture rich and sweet tasting.
Cheers and have fun exploring.
Tim

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Since you like MacBaren Mixture (Scottish Blend), you might enjoy their Golden Extra. You're not venturing that far afield as you would be with VaPers or latakia blends - like Mixture, the topping is pretty light. There are worse things you could do than explore the MacBaren line.

You also might like Sutliff Breckinridge,another non-aro burley with a nice taste.

smeigs

Lifer
Jun 26, 2012
If you like sweeter stuff I would recommend Mac Baren Vanilla Cream Flake. Its a good transition into flakes. It is still considered an aromatic but it is a bit more hardy and full bodied. Good luck.

delro

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 7, 2015
Give HH Anniversary Kake a try, Shortcut to Mushrooms, escudo as others have said, or my favorite for something completely different - SPC MR

jmsutton

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 11, 2014
Be sure to try Erinmore Flake. I enjoyed it more than Orlik GS... but maybe I'm just a fluke. haha. If you're willing to try another Frog Morton blend... get FM cellar. It is fantastic!

Status
Not open for further replies.