PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ericusrex

Lifer
Feb 27, 2015
OK. I'm trying to get my boss into pipe smoking. He's an avid cigar smoker (only Cubans...he travels to Europe a lot) so I think something that's a good bridge between pipe and cigar tobaccos is the best foray. That means no Latakia, no aromatics (he's a purist anyways...and a bit of a snob, he'd probably state aromatics are for the palate-less). I was thinking John Patton's Crossroads might be a good stab at it. What would YOU recommend?
Thanks!

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
I would highly recommend MacBaren's HH Acadian Perique. It does not taste like a cigar, but it does have an amazing natural tobacco flavor! Also, it is an easy burning ribbon cut, helping to simplify the packing and lighting for a new smoker.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
ericusrex:
Allow me to recommend Pipeworks & Wilke's "Wilke Churchill" blend. The description on their Website (Pipeworks & Wilke) reads as follows: "Mr. Churchill fancied his cigar. I believe he would have been pleased with the liberal amount of cigar leaf that is added the Virginias, Burley, Latakia and Perique that makes up this traditional English mixture. A robust tobacco and a special treat."

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Hearth and Home's Virginia Spice, and C&D's Habana Daydream also include cigar leaf. Both are very good blends.

beastkhk

Can't Leave
Feb 3, 2015
The Cubans only part scares me, IMHO there are way better cigars out there for a fraction of the price. If stuck on Cubans it might be something to do more with the "Elite" feeling of being able to have something that is outside of reach for most due to legalities and or pricing. If that is the case you might have to look for a trophy blend like Penzance.
If you feel that is not the case(I don't know him so am only going off of "Cuban's only" and "bit of a snob") I would suggest a blend that has notable transitions and probably a nice amount of perique. Firestorm sounds like it might be a winner there, but I am waiting for the tobacco crawl in April before I indulge so can't say for sure.
I would also comment that the cigar leaf blends are really good as well, but can be deceiving as the leaf is more to supplement and enhance a pipe blend vs. tasting like a cigar. I went this route when came over from cigars and found blends with dark fired Kentucky fit the bill better than the cigar leaf ones. So one could translate that into a +1 on the Old Dark Fired.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
You just aren't going to get a cigar experience in a pipe, so I'd simply try something like Virginia or VaPer's. Crossroads sounds like it could be a good bet.

ericusrex

Lifer
Feb 27, 2015
This is great news as I have many of these on hand, ODF included (though I haven't yet had a chance to try it).
Beast - you've got him pegged!
Thanks all!

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
Well I feel like I've heard people on here say before that even pipe tobaccos with cigar leaf aren't a cigar....so it will never be the same. Like my in-laws, they "want" to drink red wine for the health benefits, but they hate all alcohol. There is no wine on earth that they find palatable. :)
That being said- I think ODF is a good recommendation, I'm thinking of some obvious big hitters like Dunhill Nightcap and 965, Some good Pease blends with heavy latakia as well.

p4ttythep3rf3ct

Might Stick Around
Mar 2, 2015
Cigar smoker here, my favorite being the DE Liga Privada No 9. Really, I like a lot of the Ligas, just the No. 9 really hits my sweet spot. That said, surprisingly Latakia doesn't really do a lot for me. Sure, I can appreciate it, but it doesn't grab me the way VaPers have. The subtitles of the VaPers really stick out more to me for some reason. Louder while being more quiet, I dunno. Anyway, maybe go that route? Don't just assume that a cigar smoker is going to enjoy 'heavy' pipe tobacco, because cigars and pipes are totally different. That all said, Deception Pass is incredibly great, I can't see anyone disliking that one.

joshb83

Can't Leave
Feb 25, 2015
I say just save yourself a lot of effort and invest in a sampler of non-aro's to see if he chooses one over the other. Then we can get specific from there. On the other hand, I've smoked cigars for quite a while now, to include the good the bad and everything in between, I have found some terrible Cubans and some amazing no names. As a matter of fact, a few years back, the top rated cigar of the year was a Dominican 5$ cigar.In my opinion Cubans aren't all they're cracked up to be, more sought because of the taboo in America. That being said, If he solely smokes Cubans, he may not have the palette you think, give him something middle of the road and gauge his style. Just my 2 cents anyway:)

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
From my experience, real cigar aficionados agree that many Dominican and Nicaraguan cigars are every bit as good as the best Cuban cigars. Cohibas, IMHO, are the most over-rated cigars made. For my tastes, a 1964 Padron is as good as any Cuban I've tried. Now, don't get me wrong, some excellent cigars are still rolled in Cuba but the real master blenders and rollers, along with the best, seeds left the Island over 50 years ago.
I've tried many of the cigar leaf pipe blends on the market - Russ's Stogie, GLP Key Largo and Robusto, C&D Habano Day Dreams and Billy Bud. Will try Old Dominion.
None taste like a cigar, smoke like a cigar, have the silky volume of a good cigar or the fragrance of a cigar. Hints, yes but nothing else. I had to learn to enjoy cigar blends for what they are - pipe tobaccos.
So, I would focus on a hearty, smooth, nicotine rich blends for your boss. Someone mentioned getting him a sampler. You could get him a GLP sampler. Can't go wrong. But maybe you can put together a best of class sample. An English, a Balkan, a VaPer, a Lakeland, and a cigar leaf. Make sure it includes some real flakes and maybe a plug, like GLP Jack Knife or Pirate Krumble Kake. The idea is to introduce him to the wonderful variety of pipe tobaccos. You can set him with a decent pipe and a dozen tins of tobacco for less than a box of moderately priced premium cigars.
Just my thought.
pax

beastkhk

Can't Leave
Feb 3, 2015
P and C Tues. special this week is 25% off 3.5oz MacBaren HH tins.
If still thinking Old Dark Fired may want to jump on that deal.(Possibly even get some for yourself too if never tried it)
Edit: +1 on the Cigar comments Brass. Could not agree more on the Padron example. I personally lean a little more towards the 1926 if shelling out that much on a single stick, but same logic.

ericusrex

Lifer
Feb 27, 2015
Thanks everyone for the great comments. Out of all the recommendations above, I already have some ODF, Crossroads, Nightcap and Billy Bud open and ready for him to sample. Given the multiple recs for ODF I think that's the way to go. If that doesn't really float his boat I think we'll move into VaPers, Burleys, and then some of the Latakia blends.
Great advice all around. Thanks again! The 'get a new boss' might be the best piece of advice I've ever gotten :wink:
Beast - I did get their email earlier and did order a few more tins for my own cellar. That's the best price I've ever seen on those blends! Too bad they're sold out of the old Vintage Syrian tins...would've gotten a few more of those too.

Status
Not open for further replies.