Pipes Magazine » Pipe Repair and Maintenance

Tags:  No tags yet. 

Need a New Stem for My Pete Rosslare

(17 posts)
  1. coalsmoke

coalsmoke

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I just broke a big chip off of the button on my Rosslare #106 straight billiard. I can still smoke it if I turn the stem so the broken part faces upward and won't irritate my tongue. I started thinking that I could get another amber lucite stem, a black lucite or vulcanite stem, or maybe a Cumberland stem! I don't know where to start, though. Is this something that I could order from Peterson's parts counter or have made up and fitted by a reputable repair shop that you guys have used? Any advise and recommendations?

Russ
    Smoking a pipe is true relaxation...everything else is too much like work.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

chopsie

Login to Send PM

Peterson definitely replace stems for peterson pipes, you might have to send them your pipe though. Contact them on their website.

Posted 1 year ago #
  3. coalsmoke

coalsmoke

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Peterson definitely replace stems for peterson pipes, you might have to send them your pipe though. Contact them on their website.

Just did. I would think they will need the pipe sent to them for fitting. I'm interested in finding out what other stems they could match up with it. Black would look sharp with the silver band.

Posted 1 year ago #
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

I started thinking that I could get another amber lucite stem, a black lucite or vulcanite stem, or maybe a Cumberland stem! I don't know where to start, though.

If you want to replace the plastic stem, Peterson's is likely your best bet, especially if you like the original stem.

If you're into vulcanite, Mike Myers can make you one, even stamp the stem with a Peterson logo for $10 more. It will fit the pipe perfectly. Vulcanite runs $40, hand-cut $50, and hand-cut cumberland $60 and up (plus $10 for the logo, if you want it). You can get Lucite done too, I didn't price it out because personally, I wouldn't even consider it LOL.

http://www.walkerpiperepair.com/html/pipe_repairs.html

Posted 1 year ago #
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

I would think they will need the pipe sent to them for fitting. I'm interested in finding out what other stems they could match up with it.

Do yourself a favor and if you're going to replace the stem with something other than the original, do it with someone this side of the pond. I'm thinking Peterson wouldn't do a chameleon for you on the stem, and even if they did, it's more hassle, and it probably be a long time before you get it back.

Posted 1 year ago #
  6. coalsmoke

coalsmoke

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've done business with Walker Briar Works before...got my Forever stem from them. Me thinks a nice vulcanite stem from them will do the trick. Thanks for the idea!

Posted 1 year ago #
  7. coalsmoke

coalsmoke

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Do yourself a favor and if you're going to replace the stem with something other than the original, do it with someone this side of the pond. I'm thinking Peterson wouldn't do a chameleon for you on the stem, and even if they did, it's more hassle, and it probably be a long time before you get it back.

Just sent Mike @ Walker an email. He's in MI and I'm in Ohio, so the turn around time won't have to include overseas shipping as it would if I sent it off to Ireland for a new stem. Prices are very reasonable and he'll throw in a wax job on the house, too. Thinking of either tortoise acrylic or vulcanite. Oh, the hard choices that we make in life!

Posted 1 year ago #
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Smart move, coalsmoke.

Posted 1 year ago #
  9. coalsmoke

coalsmoke

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Smart move, coalsmoke.

I received an email from Peterson's this morning and one from Mike at Walker. Peterson will replace my stem in black or Cumberland (at an unknown charge) with no mention of lead time and did state the shank may need to be re-stained after fitting. The cost for the original amber stem would be $28.50 and an additional charge for the 'P' logo stamp and, of course, shipping is also additional. Mike at Walker will replace the stem in vulcanite or acrylic for $24.00 with the 'P' logo and shipping extra. I can live without the logo stamp, but what I like is that he will make an exact casting of the shank in order to fit the replacement stem with no damage to the shank finish. That's a better approach, I think, given the fact the shank has a sterling silver band on the end of it! The lead time is 3-4 weeks for Walker. I'll have it out to Mike this weekend.

Posted 1 year ago #
  10. samcoffeeman

samcoffeeman

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

If you look on the website Peterson recommends this shop in Fl for Peterson pipe repairs and replacement stems.

Schulte's Pipe Repair Service
    678 Old Dixie Highway
    Vero Beach
    FL 32962
    U. S. A.
    Phone: 772 564 0079

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal,
    that they are endowed by their creator with certain unalienable Rights,
    that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness
    Posted 1 year ago #
  11. philobeddoe

philobeddoe

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Get the logo, if you ever decide to sell the pipe it will hold its value better. Also, IMHO, it just looks correct!

"So it goes." - K.V.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  12. User has not uploaded an avatar

chopsie

Login to Send PM

One question on the rosslare is it infact a spigot pipe?

Posted 1 year ago #
  13. crpntr1

Chris

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Good choice Russ

The most important things in life are good friends and a good bullpen...not necessarily in that order

You may all go to hell, I'll go to Texas-Davy Crockett
    Posted 1 year ago #
  14. allan

allan

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the info, Roth

Allan

Allan
    Posted 1 year ago #
  15. coalsmoke

coalsmoke

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

One question on the rosslare is it in fact a spigot pipe?

The Rosslare series has a sterling band with an amber stem and isn't a spigot pipe. Here's my pipe:

http://pipesandcigars.com/peroclpi10.html#.USwlUjCG1pc

Posted 1 year ago #
  16. sothron

Perique

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Walker Briar Works did a replacement stem for me on a Pete and it was top notch (right down to the "P").

Posted 1 year ago #
  17. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Glad you are going to have Mike Myers do your new stem, Coalsmoke.

I've a Dunhill and a Charatan with new stems made by Dave Wolff (while Mike Myers was working with Dave) and I couldn't be happier with the work.

What's also nice is that Mike has adapted Dave's repair schedule tracking system, so you look on the website and can see exactly where your pipe is in the queue, so there's no run around, you'll know you'll have your repaired Pete done and back out to you on the date listed.

Posted 1 year ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   jiminks, briarblues, misterlowercase, pruss, northernneil, flapomalley, beefeater33, papajoe, peckinpahhombre, ejames, tslex, natibo, kaboom, mrdenmark, sparks, elpfeife, derfargin, pitchfork, cmdrmcbragg, daimyo, owen, edwinbaz, kingjon, tarheel1, tobyducote