Neat Pipes and Radice a cautionary tale?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

briarbuda48

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 20, 2013
Texas
Not sure what to do here as I have never had an issue within the pipe community prior to this. This is a significant disappointment for me. I bought this beauty April 19th of this year and smoked it about 5-10 times. The following is what has transpired since.
AttachmentsJun 27 to Luca at Neat pipes
to Luca

Hello Luca, I hope this note finds you well. I love the pipe and have dedicated it to Virginias ( my other Aerobilliard purchased from you gets only latakia). I have smoked it 5-10 times now and it smokes beautifully. Last night I noticed a crack in the shank where the reinforcement ring is. I have attached pictures for you to review. My question is, what kind of warranty to you or the Radice's have? I love their pipes, this is my fourth one.
Kind regards,
July 10th to the Radice's
Dear Mr. Radice, I sent the note and related pictures to Luca at Neat Pipes a week ago and have not heard back. I love your pipes but the last one I purchased developed crack. I have smoked it only five to ten times. This is my fourth Radice pipe and quite frankly my favorite. Would you help me please?
July 13th from Luca at Neat Pipes
I apologize for my long delay in replying.
I am currently very busy with another business I have recently started.
The pipe is fully insured, the crack that opened on the shank unfortunately can't be repaired.

This pipe was such unique that it could not be reproduced.
The only solution is to put a nice silver band on the pipe to make the shank stronger
What do you think about this?
Thanks
Luca di Piazza

Neatpipes.com
Jul 13

to Luca
Luca, that would be fantastic! Please provide me with any details needed to move forward.
Kind regards,
I have emailed Luca four additional times 17th, 20th, 27th and Aug 4th. I have had no response. In addition, I emailed the Radice's two additional times with no response. I reached out to one of the premier pipe repairmen in the U.S. and he told me that the pipe could not be repaired. So I'm out just under $300.00.

tslex

Lifer
Jun 23, 2011
This is surprising on several levels.
I am struck by how very little material that shank seems to have, relative to the bore.

briarbuda48

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 20, 2013
Texas
Re: Tslex
Yes, unbeknownst to me. That is reason the repairman said it cannot be banded. That crack goes in past a quarter of an inch. As the shank absorbs the moisture it will continue to swell and crack.

pagan

Lifer
May 6, 2016
West Texas
That sucks, the pipe can be repaired, might be costly but the folks at briarville and several others on-line would be able to help you out, a few members hear might chime in with offers so stay tuned....

briarbuda48

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 20, 2013
Texas
Re: 1coyote
Paypal. Lots of work, travel (for work), wife and four kids. I am trying to read more regularly, posting not so much.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Since it has a reinforcing ring inside the shank, I would think it would be all the easier to repair. A band around the outside diameter seems like it would work just fine, unless I am missing something. ???

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Don't know what pipe professional told you that pipe can not be repaired???
That would be me.
(the issue isn't literal impossibility, but practical impossibility)
I'm no Pro but I've repaired worse then that on a pipe.
Knock yourself out, Coyote. Be sure to photograph the final result and post it to this forum.

briarbuda48

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 20, 2013
Texas
Re: clickklick
I hope you are correct. However, I have been hoping for some time now with no resolution. The shame of it is that this was the second or third purchased from Neat Pipes, all Radices'. And, based upon my first purchase my brother in law bought one as well. My confidence has diminished greatly.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Sadly, it only takes one negative experience to overshadow many positive ones. I hope this issue comes to a satisfactory resolution for you.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Sorry to hear about your pipe. As stated, it can be repaired, it's just not going to look pretty when you take off the stem. Nonetheless, a band can probably make it functional again.
I have an old BBB that has a crack in the shank that has probably been there for 100 years. It follows a visible flaw in the briar and is at least as severe as the one on your Radice. But the silver band -- ornamental, not a repair band, has held it together. It's not a snug fit, but I've smoked it for several years regularly myself and it's perfectly functional.
Some Aeros have really nice silver bands -- maybe they'll hook you up with one that looks nice in any case.

briarbuda48

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 20, 2013
Texas
Thank you and your correct to a point. Unfortunately, this crack goes beyond the inner supporting ring and the shank is very thin in places all the way to the bowl. If not resolved, I will be compelled to attempt something just to salvage the piece. A shame really, it was smoking G.L. Pease' Temple Bar beautifully!

sfduke

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 14, 2012
Luca is a stand up guy along with the Radices. Both parties will definitely take care of you without any doubt. Note that Aug is a holiday month in Europe and I am sure he is just catching up since their closure.
Looking at the shank, I would agree with George that the pipe is not repairable. Also, not sure why there seems to be some type of moisture staining in that area of the shank. While the shank is reinforced due to the Aero, a band would detract from the original design of the pipe and the crack will still be visible. The pipe is very unique and in fact I considered adding it to my collection when Luca first got it.
I would consider exchanging the pipe for another Radice. I am sure Luca can see about get you another unique pipe, just not the exact same pipe. Please keep us posted.

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

You may be right in that it may just be a tough luck kind of thing? That is if neither the seller nor the maker is communicating with you. I would just keep sending messages to both in hopes that one of them replies, but I trust george's opinion about the pipes capacity for a sound repair. You'll have to cross that bridge with the seller when and if he responds. I hope you're able to find a solution.

briarbuda48

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 20, 2013
Texas
I hope you are correct. I was smoking the pipe when the crack manifested. The chamber behind the bowl captures any moisture and since the shank walls are so thin on this piece the expansion cracked the shank rather severely. I would be glad to exchange it. In fact, one of my emails to the Radice's was requesting that very solution.

randelli

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 21, 2015
???
3-4inch-font-b-Hose-b-font-font-b-Clamps-b-font-Stainless-Steel-font-b.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.