PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
First a little back story.

There is an antique shop a few towns over and for the last couple of years have had a large 25 qty pipe carousel with as many pipes on sale for $35 each. I looked, but never spent much time on them due to price.

I assume they couldn't sell at that price(not surprised)and dropped all pipes to $10 each.

Looking through them I find a couple of interesting ones and start researching. A pipe by Lee(3 star), I liked it but it looked like someone had used a hacksaw on the shank. Pass.

I then notice a really dirty pipe without nomenclature or so I thought. I get my magnifying glass out and I purchase it and a zippered leather pipe bag for $20.

Here is the pipe before cleaning.

During cleanup..

Polished up. Yep, under all that grunge a Sasieni Mayfair 52. I only used a magic eraser to lightly clean the exterior as not to damage the nomenclature. It has some tiny fills and it dinged a bit, but it cleaned up nicely. I did lose the "M" on the stem as it was so dirty.

Jan 4, 2015
Massachusetts
Nice find and spectacular birds eye grain. That should clean up well and a Sasieni to boot. At $20 you should have had a mask on! Well done. Post the finished shots.

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
Bradley, it smoked great. Never getting hot or a gurgle. There was some slight reaming marks in the bowl and some cake, but still a very conical bowl. Thick walled apple.
gloucesterman, the bottom 5 photos are the finished product. I was light handed on the exterior since the nomenclature was light. The stem was nasty and got most of the work.

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
Nice find, esp. for $10! Sasieni "seconds" are great smoking pipes!

brudnod

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 26, 2013
Great Falls, VA
Sweet! As many of us are suckers for fine straight grain and birdseye you can guess that we are all thrilled for you and your find. Always good to have a back story to go along with the purchase...

fishnbanjo

Lifer
Feb 27, 2013
Persistence and patience pays off, great job on the cleanup and sweet Birdseye, enjoy.

banjo

Mar 30, 2014
wv
Nice score. With that Birdseye, I would've dropped $10 on it regardless of the name. I'd double check that pipe rack again. A nice pipe like that usually keeps good company.

randelli

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 21, 2015
Look at all those tortured souls.... oh wait birdseye! I might have to name that one Dante, if I were in to that sort of thing :)

Status
Not open for further replies.