Neat App On Iphone To Help Keep Log of Your Collection.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

smokeybear

Lifer
Dec 21, 2012
Brampton,Ontario,Canada
I stumbled upon this App called Mi Folio and thought i would try to use this to keep records on my pipes and tobacco just so i have the information on all my collection at my finger tips. Now this may not be the best app out there for this but its what i found and i think it works rather well.
1001082_10151774685432889_915902749_n.jpg

As shown in the image above i can make whatever Categories i please since i don't have a huge collection i just made one for pipes and another for tobacco here. Its neat cause i can see a picture and a little of the information i have typed in there about the pipe. So lets click on the Savinelli.
995126_10151774685312889_2062422170_n.jpg

Here you can see i added information on the pipe everything from shape, size and finish. there is more info in the yellow portion of the image you just need to scroll down it acts like a note pad. Also in this picture you see that you can add other sorts of media on this item ie, Pictures, Videos and sketches there's more if you scroll down as well.
1002323_10151774685227889_2080155261_n.jpg

970125_10151774685127889_2145837306_n.jpg

Above is one i made for one of my favorite blends and in the second picture if you look and the first "add web page1" it is a link to 4noggins website on the page for Killington.
Only down side is when you view the photos they come out distorted but i already emailed the creator of the app hopefully it will be fixed. Anyway thought i would share this if anyone likes to try it and put in there two cents please do or better yet if you have something that works better then this i would be really interested and im sure there are other like me who would be as well.

smokeybear

Lifer
Dec 21, 2012
Brampton,Ontario,Canada
We should have an app like this made for the site except directed towards pipes and pipe tobacco hell i'd buy it for sure. i mean i have the ideas but i don't have the skill to make this. I do however have connections and friends that can ill ask them and see it shouldn't be to difficult.
However i probably shouldn't because my last contribution created alot of drama on here (show off threads). so on second thought ill just use this app. :|

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
Smokey, that's pretty neat! I still can't figure out how to post pics in the forum with my iPhone. I figured out how to get them into my album on my profile but that's all. I've given up on photobucket. I've had nothing but problems with them! If you got any info on posting with the iPhone I sure would appreciate it!

mp31guitar

Lifer
Jun 28, 2011
I like that. Thanks for the info. I'll have to try it now cause I'm hooked on my iPhone. I'm at work on it now. Shhhh....

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
Hey Andrew, I can save you some time in typing in your pipe descriptions.........STRAIGHT BILLIARD. There all done, just copy and paste! :nana:

smokeybear

Lifer
Dec 21, 2012
Brampton,Ontario,Canada
If you got any info on posting with the iPhone I sure would appreciate it!
This app isnt so bad but the only thing is you got to enter most of the information manually which i don't mind because categorizing my collections of anything i collect is part of the fun for me.
i have an idea to make a much more user friendly version of this but ill have to look into it with some friends of mine.
I'm at work on it now. Shhhh....
Haha same i got to look around make sure no one catches me looking at this site. 8) sneeky shades on.

smokeybear

Lifer
Dec 21, 2012
Brampton,Ontario,Canada
Hey Andrew, I can save you some time in typing in your pipe descriptions.........STRAIGHT BILLIARD. There all done, just copy and paste! [:nana:]
:rofl: so you true Brian you know me all to well, but there goes your excuse for my birthday you cant say you didn't know what type of pipes i like.

smokeybear

Lifer
Dec 21, 2012
Brampton,Ontario,Canada
I still can't figure out how to post pics in the forum with my iPhone
Actually i have trouble with this also i link all my pictures from my FB account and on the iPhone FB doesn't allow you to copy image locations. its so frustrating but petes03 me and you are part of a minority that use there phones to view this site i think or else there would be a mobile site for PM.com by now lol

smokeybear

Lifer
Dec 21, 2012
Brampton,Ontario,Canada
A mobile site was already discussed on this forum a while back but it was not something Kevin was interested in.
I believe his reasoning was something along the lines of people posting on their phones promoting bad habits when it comes to punctuation, grammar or run on sentences. And these bad habits would take away from the maturity and intelligence this forum presents.
Although I understand completely what Kevin was saying there, it can be argued that modern smart phone technology with their QWERTY key pads and spell checking software would help to prevent such bad habits. Typing on your smart phone is very similar to typing on a keyboard now (for the most part). Yes it will always be easier to type on your keyboard but for those who are used to their phones it shouldn't be a problem.
Anyhow I am not going to argue with Kevin on his decision it his forum his rules.

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
Although I understand completely what Kevin was saying there, it can be argued that modern smart phone technology with their QWERTY key pads and spell checking software would help to prevent such bad habits. Typing on your smart phone is very similar to typing on a keyboard now (for the most part). Yes it will always be easier to type on your keyboard but for those who are used to their phones it shouldn't be a problem.
You're 100% correct. It shouldn't be a problem, and yet it is.
I don't think that was the main reason Kevin wasn't for a mobile version. One of them, but certainly not the main reason. I was under the impression that to create a mobile version of the site, it'll be a long, time-consuming process. Also, I think I remember our forum software not playing nice with some key pieces of mobile site software. I could be completely wrong, but that's what's sticking in my mind at this moment.
-Jason

maxx

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 10, 2015
This got me looking. I found another app that is nice, called Flexile. It's free. It allows photos but I'm not sure about videos. I just now downloaded it. It seems to be a versatile database.

conlejm

Lifer
Mar 22, 2014
There used to be an App called Pipe Tool to keep track of your tobacco cellar which I thought was excellent. However it does not seem to be available any longer. The App still works pretty well, but has lost some functionality with all the IOS updates.

maxx

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 10, 2015
I've explored Flexile since mentioning it. It took me a while to understand it, but I like it and recommend trying it. I created a category Pipes, then subcategories of New Pipes and Estate Pipes. For New Pipes, I added fields for Brand, Model, Date Acquired, and Website. The Website field creates a link to the site, and opens the site within Flexile. I don't have any Estate pipes yet, so I haven't done more there.

Status
Not open for further replies.