PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

smoker49

Might Stick Around
Sep 26, 2012
I got a pipe in the mail today; it's a beautiful Cavicchi Dublin. It was sold to me as an unsmoked estate pipe. I was really looking forward to that first bowl from a virgin pipe of the finest quality. I sat down at the table, sliced open the lid and pulled back the flaps. There was an invoice on the inside, laying on top of the packing material. Scrawled on the bottom of the sheet was a note...
"Thanks for buying my pipe. I couldn't resist smoking it one time before I sent it. I hope you don't mind."
My heart did this thing, where it started slamming into my ribcage, trying to get out. I couldn't hear it beating though because my ears were simultaneously burning and ringing. My left eyelid twitched a little, and my hands curled involuntarily into what can only be described as talons. I wanted to scream at my body to relax, but all that came out of my mouth was a cross between a whisper and a mewing cat.
I used my talon hands to carefully part the packing material, removing the bag with the pipe in it. I slid the pipe out of its sock, and the glorious briar of the Cavicchi started singing to me in a mellow Italian baritone. My body relaxed and my mind was at ease. The bowl was still virgin.
Sick, sick joke. I spent the rest of the afternoon alternating between fits of laughter and fondling the Cavicchi. I emailed the seller and told him how successful his prank was.
Help me decide what to smoke in the first bowl. I have three year old aged 1792 Flake, Peterson University Flake, and Orlik Golden Sliced. On Thursday I will be getting some Escudo and Virginia Woods.

jsiddle

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 24, 2012
"Thanks for buying my pipe. I couldn't resist smoking it one time before I sent it. I hope you don't mind."
O.o WTF!
My heart did this thing, where it started slamming into my ribcage, trying to get out. I couldn't hear it beating though because my ears were simultaneously burning and ringing. My left eyelid twitched a little, and my hands curled involuntarily into what can only be described as talons. I wanted to scream at my body to relax, but all that came out of my mouth was a cross between a whisper and a mewing cat.
Lol this is pretty descriptive
DO ORLICK!!!

vinvin

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 1, 2012
Haha, well at least it made you even more excited and I'm sure it's something that will make you remember this day for years to come! What a special pipe experience! Happy Puffing!

ghost

Lifer
May 17, 2012
Too funny. Evil, but funny...
Edit- What I meant to say was "Oh No He Didn't!"

mick

Can't Leave
Aug 13, 2012
That would be funny if you were close friends. A joke in a customer situation is not even close to funny. :evil:

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
I come from a long line of top notch ball busters so I can appreciate a good goof. Smoke whatever your in the mood for.

mangers

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 11, 2012
When I saw this I thought maybe it was a pipe from......

Oh never mind! But I think I would have acted the same. Enjoy your new pipe, Cavicchi's are great smokers!!

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
Great story! Yes I thought WTF! Hook, line and sinker. I'd go with the UF or wait on the Escudo as was mentioned.

smoker49

Might Stick Around
Sep 26, 2012
I figure Escudo is top selling at SmokingPipes for a reason. I like the idea of a whole tin of it going through one pipe, so if I like it maybe I'll dedicate the pipe to Escudo. I guess I'll leave 1792 and University to the cobs. I have a new Nording for the Orlik.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I would do the Escudo also, it is one of the all time classic's and one of my favorites. I love a good joke as much as anyone, but that was just plain mean. If it was coming from a buddy, yeah I get it but from a total stranger, that isn't cool in my book. I would contact the seller and tell him you did not appreciate his brand of humor. Maybe I am just getting to be an old curmudgeon for not finding that funny.

vdubguy18

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 25, 2012
Hilarious to read about...and certainly a good laugh after the fact.
However, I can only imagine if I was in your shoes how I would react by reading the same note...
Enjoy the new addition to the family.

undecagon

Oct 7, 2011
Chicago, IL
WOW - too funny.
I don't know that everything in my apartment would have made it unbroken to the reveal, had I had such a prank pulled on me!
Good story though! I'm sure it'll get retold for years until some fellow piper tells it to you, only it'll go something like "So it had this note, and the guy flipped out and murdered his entire family...only to find out it was just a prank! The pipe had never been smoked!"

smoker49

Might Stick Around
Sep 26, 2012
I freaked out a little at first, privately, but after a while I got a good laugh. It was twisted, but no harm done. Etiquette usually demands that you buy a guy a beer after you stick him like that, but I found no bottle in the box.

lankfordjl

Sep 29, 2011
Texas
I think my heart would have stopped for a moment.
th

Status
Not open for further replies.