PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
"My" team (UNC, from my state if not my fav here) won. Against Gonzaga. UNC Coach Roy Williams admitted as a sort of aside that though both teams had struggled mightily, neither played well. No rhythm, no grace, long stretches without scoring, missed three-pointers and especially free throws. Boring, frustrating, irritating. It was more like mid-level teams on an off night, in a mid-season game, not like a championship at all. UNC had surges at the beginning of the second half and at the very end, but it was not exciting so much as ragged. I've seldom watched "my team" win with as little enthusiasm. Congrats to the players, and Coach Roy on his third NCAA championship. Sigh.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
I think it was a crappy game because the Referee's called it too tight. Let the game go. Call the real fouls, not the iffy ones.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
With game recorded just enough so I could FF though commercials and free throws, I thought the game was highly entertaining.
Edit: Yes, agree with Tim: the refs went overboard and missed a couple of real ones.

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

I think it was a crappy game because the Referee's called it too tight.
Yes. The officiating was terrible throughout the entire season including the tournament. The referees made it one of the worst seasons of college basketball that I've ever watched. I get it, everyone takes shit so damn serious these days and they want to get things right, but they have slowed the game of basketball down to the point where it's not enjoyable to watch anymore. I watched games this year where they stopped play, reviewed on replay, and still got the call wrong; and the whole thing took almost 10 minutes. I won't be following it anymore. It's time for a new hobby instead. I've heard pipe making is a fun hobby to get into?

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Watching humans compete and face adversity can be compelling. Especially if you have skin in the game. How the kids and coaches adjust or not, that's the game. Usually the team which rises above the officiating, makes the necessary adjustments, stays focused and keeps discipline, walks off with the glory. For the losers, well... it's a teaching moment should they wish to learn hard life lessons.
And, we are discussing the game so, even the NCAA wins.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
There's also the skimming of some of the best players into the NBA early, so they don't play senior or even junior years. I admit, I haven't followed this season to know how/if that was a factor here, but it could be. Glad others found the game engaging.

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

There's also the skimming of some of the best players into the NBA early, so they don't play senior or even junior years.
I think you have to be 19 to enter the NBA draft, and many players don't play a sophomore season, let alone junior and senior seasons. There are a lot of one and done players in college right now, and many make it known that they will only be playing one year. I wish the NBA would let kids enter the draft straight out of high school again. It doesn't do anyone any bit of good having kids that would have gone straight from high school and into the league play one year in college. Kentucky has a brand new team almost every year.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I'd much rather have the NBA push the entry up to 21 or 22 or finish college, whichever is sooner. Odds on it happening? Near infinitesimal.

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
Call the real fouls, not the iffy ones.
The same can be said for the NFL. I'm losing interest in the game because they call serious penalties for things which have no effect over the game and things people have no control over. Let the guys play.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
The officials are simply, sometimes ineptly, doing as the owners dictate in pro sports. The owners live in constant fear that the man will suffer a career ending injury and they will be left owning millions to a guy who can no longer help the team.
Collage sports are oft times simply the victims of poorly trained, poorly paid and often, overworked officials.
If a kid finds out he is NBA bound, it is foolish for him to continue to play collage ball and take the chance of a disastrous injury. The stakes are simply too high. They are given scholarships to draw moneys to the school, in return they get free room and board worth a bunch of money. And, they are allowed to showcase their abilities while paying their way playing ball. This is true for the majority of top level players. Only a rare few, couple?, are enrolled for the education. The subs and less skilled are serious about getting an education, the others trying to fulfill the dream.
Should a jock decide to get a degree he can do so after being run out of the game due to injury or skills erosion. And, he can do it in his Rolls and pay for it with his own moneys. It's a win-win for those talented few.
Staying in school can jeopardize millions of dollars in salary and fees. Raising the draft age reduces earning years by two at least.

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
Seems like it comes down to too much money. When I was a kid, football players made maybe $60,000 a year tops. You were in it to play the game and got your ass scolded for running out of bounds to avoid taking a hit. These days, players run out of bounds as soon as the opponent gets within 10 feet of them. They are not the players of yesterday and the more padding they give them the easier they seem to get hurt. They are pampered in high-school and pampered in college and now what do you have in the NFL? Overpaid sissies! Used to be that to make it to the NFL, you had to be TOUGH.
Now they wear pink booties and gloves to show support for breast-awareness month.
And now the concussion protocol? Really? For what these guys are getting paid, they should get out there and play so long as they can stand and count their fingers!
I've worked jobs so difficult and dangerous it wasn't funny and was expected to do my job no matter what for far less money---- sure concussion is serious business, it is a risk, and AFAIK, taking that risk is the reason why you are getting paid 25 million a year.

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
The officiating was as bad as I have seen this year. The double flagrant call was beyond bizarre. Ah well, it is a sport, not much lost in any case.

cally454

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 31, 2012
I went from pee wee up to full ride div 1 scholarship to NFL tryouts The game and the athletic specimens that you encounter at the next asseceding level is staggering. By the time you get to the NFL they say each snap the o line and d line experience is equivalent to a 35 mph car crash. Each snap. They will kill you it's to a point that self preservation is a must. Guys running 4.5 40's and can bench 450 with 36 inch verticals is something to behold. Very glad for Roy if my Jayhawks couldnt do it then roys the guy. Regarding athletes of today google Zion Williamson a freak of nature I'm just glad he's considering Kansas.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Your various jobs simply weren't worth that much to your employer. Pro football players are worth more, they generate more profit. And, they are bigger, faster, better armored, and stronger than the guys from yesteryear. The idea of wanting a safer workplace is admirable, both for owners and players. I've lost my enthusiasm for the NFL because of some of the changes but, I can walk away and no one will notice.
As an aside; I've recently taken an interest in women's curling. Not sure why (cute sells!) but, I can be glued to the TV when it's on. Well, the Canadian National team is of particular interest.
I never begrudge a person their wage. Get as much as you can, while you can. I was lucky, I made a livable wage while doing what I loved. The money was only a byproduct, an important one of course, of my chosen career. Not many people actually can say that I believe. I made enough to raise a family, invest a bit and still buy a toy (read: motorcycle) now and then.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
An after thought: There is no such thing as too much money when it comes to earnings! I want every dime the market thinks I'm worth. Of course the market and I may differ as to my worth. Sadly, my self-established worth doesn't really enter into the equation though.

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
I think that athletes should earn whatever the market will pay them. More power to them. I just do not get emotionally bent when my team loses... I would be dead by now if I did. I was trucked by a few professional football players in practice for 2 years... Willie McClendon taught me to never lower my head and never try to hit him in the knees. Of course, I was a Frosh and he was on his way to UGA and then the Bears to block For Walter Payton. I have a jacked neck because of those days and my left hand is permanently numb. And I am not a small man at a little over 6' and 200 lbs. I should have stuck with baseball and track only.

cally454

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 31, 2012
Yep it's a brutal game. It'll be interesting to see what it becomes in the future with more and more parents not letting their kids play

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I never watch college sports, but the football champion ship game and the last five minutes of the last two NC final four games. Yep, that was some pretty pathetic play, five minutes was about all that I could take.

Status
Not open for further replies.