PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
On this week's NBC Nightly News on Sunday, September 8, 2013, at 5:30PM CDT their will be a two-and-one-half minute segment on Cursive Handwriting featuring brief interviews with several people on the subject. One of the interviewees is GKCPC member and Master Penman Mike Sull. I think you will enjoy this segment. If you can't watch it live you might want to set your DVR to record it.
Make sure to also check nbcnightlynews.com after the network broadcast – there will be more footage posted there.
As always network news broadcasts are subject to change as events take place in the world.

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
For those of you who missed this you can go to the link below and watch it. There are actually three short videos so be sure to scroll down to get to them. Mike is in the first one to some extent and is featured in the third one.
NBC Nightly News

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
KC
Interesting videos.
Unfortunate choice of comparison opinions in that the older woman seemed anachronistic at best, whereas the young man espousing that cursive is basically 'over' and unnecessary seemed much more hip.
Having debated the issue with other forms of technology (underwater photographer competitions used to have separate divisions for 'natural' photos and those using digital enhancement-that whole thing is now and not debated-all images are enhanced) the fact is we must go with the times.
Print, or block lettering must be learned for common day tasks, as is simple arithmetic. Cursive is the way of the dinosauer. IMHO

blendtobac

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009
I play around with calligraphy in a very amateurish way, but I have a framed piece of Mike's work, and he's a master in the truest sense, and a nice guy, too.
Russ

lostandfound

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 30, 2011
Too true Allan. Cursive sure is pretty, but prove to me that it serves a specific purpose. It doesn't.
"You're going to have to write in cursive often as an adult."
"Yeah, right..." Is what we all thought.

pchitti

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 26, 2013
Central Texas
The speed at which you can write in cursive well surpasses block or print. Now that hand written correspondence is more of a novelty, its not as useful. How ever do you want to read any letters your kids get from grandma because they didnt learn cursive???

jbbaldwin

Aug 1, 2012
Cursive handwriting gives any person, no matter how poor or poorly educated, an opportunity to make something beautiful with a minimum of expense. It may well be the first real accomplishment a young person experiences; before most of them are old enough to run a marathon, throw a baseball 60 feet 6 inches at speed, or make "grown-up" art, students can see the results of diligent work in as little as a few weeks, and this rewards-for-effort lesson is a worthwhile thing, I think. There is also a certain personal satisfaction in being able to write beautifully. And the ladies dig it, too (at least, my wife does). :)

drwatson

Lifer
Aug 3, 2010
toledo
To me the thing is not if it is needed or not, but a basic learning skill. I use it all the time personally. But if we say computers make it so we dont need it. Why dont we just say spelling,math,history, or any subject is old and outdated. After all just Google whatever you need. Why retain any knowledge? Then all we need to do is change studies to only computer skills, and how to find answers! Then our society can really become SHEEPLE.

Aug 1, 2012
The problem here really is that with all the things that are forced into education, there simply is not time to teach it properly anymore. The main solution is not popular. A longer school year. The reason it's not popular? You'd have to pay for it and the US, government and populace both, is not into paying for the things that are necessary.
Jbbaldwin is right about the intrinsic reward but if you can't test it and it's not entertaining, we no longer value it as a society.
Sorry if this is too political.

terrygoldman123

Can't Leave
Jun 2, 2013
Virginia
I'll watch the video in a few minutes. However, I guess there is supposed to be enough VELCRO around so we don't have to learn how to tie our shoes either. I'm a CURSIVE supporter and YES, I am old school and a retired school teacher.

batdemon

Dec 20, 2011
I too am a cursive supporter. I use it many times a day on documents that require a signature.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
This same discussion came up on another thread recently. I posted this article there:
Cursive Writing And its Importance
http://www.theworldofhandwriting.com/3/post/2012/12/cursive-writing-and-its-importance.html

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
Cursive handwriting gives any person, no matter how poor or poorly educated, an opportunity to make something beautiful with a minimum of expense

Clearly you've never seen my cursive. No one would mistake it for beautiful.
-Jason

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
You have to wonder how much of this is educators and parents caving in to what the kids want to do. You know they don't want to learn how to write.
I would guess spelling will be the next thing to be dropped from school curriculums.

Status
Not open for further replies.