PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

greatbrittn

Might Stick Around
May 21, 2014
Upstate, South Carolina
I won this pipe on eBay and really liked the look of it and the fact it was so small. These photos aren't mine, they're taken by the seller. Does anyone have any idea about the history with N.B.C. Niblick pipes? I've looked on Pipedia and a few other places, but I'm drawing a huge blank. Thanks for your help!
photo%201.PNG

photo%202.PNG

smokeybear

Lifer
Dec 21, 2012
Brampton,Ontario,Canada
Possible has something to do with golf? Niblick is basically a sand-wedge of the early days of golf. If I had to guess it was made in the early 50's and marketed to golfers. It resembles a sportsman pipe made by Peterson this possibly was made to compete with that.
Of course I'm just guessing here I did a little googling nothing really came up.

smokeybear

Lifer
Dec 21, 2012
Brampton,Ontario,Canada
There ya go the material for the stem should help to pin point around when it

Was made which may help you find out more about the pipe. Good luck sorry I didn't have a more direct answer for you.

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
The pipe is absolutely gorgeous. Congrats on the score Brittney! I even like the idea that it's off the beaten path. Please let us know how it smokes!

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Very nice pipe. I could not find anything re N.B.C. pipes at all. I then looked into amberoid which, it turns out, was developed at labs set up at Carnegie-Mellon in Pittsburgh in the early part of the 20th century. So it is not a new material but based on the style used in the nomenclature on the pipe I think smokeybear may be on the right track with his guess about when it may have been made. "Niblick" is a rather arcane Scottish golf term that does suggest a 1950's era piece. I doubt that many of today's golfers would be familiar with the term.

I even tried to find if commercial amberoid is still manufactured and came up empty-which really bothers me. Given the conditions under which the material is/was made and where it was developed I thought that PPG would be a natural fit for its production. I will drill deeper into this because my interest is now piqued.

Your pipe looks to be in excellent shape and could pass for new. Good luck with it and I hope someone here can give some definitive information on your find.

carytobacco

Can't Leave
Nov 23, 2012
Cary, NC
Are you able to show the photos? I'd like to see this pipe if possible. I just got into hickory golf clubs (niblicks, etc) and wonder what the connection is.

carytobacco

Can't Leave
Nov 23, 2012
Cary, NC
Thanks Brittney, looks like an interesting pipe. Were you able to find out any info regarding its history in the last few months?

greatbrittn

Might Stick Around
May 21, 2014
Upstate, South Carolina
No problem, carytobacco! I was hoping I would have found something by now, but unfortunately, I have not. The pipe smokes wonderfully and is fantastic for a quick smoke, but it seems it's destined to remain a mystery.

snagstangl

Lifer
Jul 1, 2013
Iowa, United States
I looked it up in "Who made that pipe?" the book is out of print. It is kind of hit and miss but it just says barling, while some of the other well known types like "ye old wood" are labeled barling and son.

Status
Not open for further replies.